• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why is my salary so low (1 Viewer)

lizbon

HSC
ye thats wat i thought, the TPG consortium pulled out and CVC, Blackstone and KKR left in pretty quick succession after they looked at Coles' books, unless shes refering to another bid later on if Coles decides to do a split up sale.

and jennyness theres no need to spell out the acronyms haha, we're not that stupid :p

Rorix

HSC
lizbon said:
38K in equities? there must be some kinda of bonus scheme though right?
I thought she works in Operations. Maybe Macquarie labels it equities but shes performing an operations role.

Even still, 38K is pretty low even for ops, as far as I know (although the ops salaries I know are the US banks)

is a roflcopter
HSC
i agree
this dude at db ops got like 50+7 last year.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
At Credit Suisse an Ops role was 40k (including super) in 05/06. So I think she's in Ops. Also, Ops bonus is shit as I think the most you can get is maybe 2k.

Aside, a quant role pays 70k+ which is a rip considering you need a PhD.

Last edited:

khosanman

HSC
So is my role an ops role pretty much with my shitty salary?

I dont even know what im getting into!!! hehe

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
khosanman said:
So is my role an ops role pretty much with my shitty salary?

I dont even know what im getting into!!! hehe
What exactly is "ops"?

Is operations like overseeing/managing investments? Kind of like an admin role?

khosanman

HSC
Dunno,

But my role is at analyst level they say, and my title is assistant premium analyst.

They tell me I will be reporting on performance, Capital Gains tax positions, other things I cant remember, and admin duties for clients.

They tell me that it will quickly involve a lot of client and advisor contact. So maybe its not quite just an operations role and can lead somewhere. Especially since they offer lots of education options.

Anyway see how we go

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
khosanman said:
Dunno,

But my role is at analyst level they say, and my title is assistant premium analyst.

They tell me I will be reporting on performance, Capital Gains tax positions, other things I cant remember, and admin duties for clients.

They tell me that it will quickly involve a lot of client and advisor contact. So maybe its not quite just an operations role and can lead somewhere. Especially since they offer lots of education options.

Anyway see how we go
Cool - worse comes to worse, just use them to get your CFA/Masters ;)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
brogan77 said:
Well, my mates doing audit get about what yr getting 42-45K
Should've increased by now (as in- for a first year Associate). And then your mates who were on 45K before should be quite a bit higher than that now as they are Experienced Associates.

khosanman

HSC
khosanman said:
Dunno,

Anyway see how we go
Also involves quite a bit of reconciliation work I believe.

Man I hope I havent screwed myself leaving auditing for this.
!!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
"Assistant Premium Analyst"? Nice title. Wait until you start then tell us what you end up doing. I would very much LMAO if you ended up having to deal with auditors.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think an ops/assistant role at goldies still beats whatever midtier you were at

khosanman

HSC
Yeh I agree, and I think the main point is since I hated auditing so much Im better off not doing it for my own sanity.

And I mean they do offer a good education program with this job and they told me it leads places and you can move through the ranks quickly, so it should be good.
hard work though im sure, they will work my ass off.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
khosanman said:
Yeh I agree, and I think the main point is since I hated auditing so much Im better off not doing it for my own sanity.
Agreed mate. If you aren't enjoying what you're doing, then no point sticking around.

On the other hand, some people really do enjoy audit (such as myself).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
ops is only useful if you perform well enough to get into another role the next yr. A few ppl use it as a stepping stone to get into FO, but its hard. Lots of smaller trading houses will take you if you have ops exp at a bb, as you get a solid knowledge of clearing etc.

But still, getting an ops grad role is not the ideal situation, but thats life.

khosanman

HSC
velox said:
ops is only useful if you perform well enough to get into another role the next yr. A few ppl use it as a stepping stone to get into FO, but its hard. Lots of smaller trading houses will take you if you have ops exp at a bb, as you get a solid knowledge of clearing etc.

But still, getting an ops grad role is not the ideal situation, but thats life.
Yeh, well not taht ive started yet, but im fairly positive this isnt just ops. Considering ive been told the whole team does masters or CFA, and they send you on lots of day and 2 day courses to learn new skills, and theres quite a bit of clients contact. Plus its in private wealth management, so its not a very ops ehavy area id imagine, as in there arent really any settlements to deal with. But anyway, should be better then auditing.

Plus I can just tell all the girls I work for an investment bank at goldman sachs!! hehe. Dont tell my girlfriend that though

khosanman

HSC
I should also add that for most of the operations type things (I Think anyway) goldman sachs uses a custodian service known as Invia.

Anyway all that makes me feel a bit better

is a roflcopter
HSC
haha i suggest you dont try to hit on anyone who actually works in the industry

khosanman

HSC
hah yeh, but I cant imagine any hot girls working in the industry.

Certainly in accounting the decent looking birds are few and far between.

No offence t any of you ladies on here who Im sure are astonishingly attractive :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)