Why should I pick UNSW comp sci + advanced maths when I could pick a UWS comp sci degree with industry experience and pay? (1 Viewer)

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Why should I pick UNSW comp sci + advanced maths when I could pick a UWS comp sci degree with industry experience and pay for 3 years

sheppy123

HSC
If you’re guaranteed a job, especially when computer science is over saturated and it’s hard to get in as a grad, then probably just do UWS

dhwanit2005

HSC
Im in a similar situation and lowkey lost, cos i got an offer for UTS datasci engineering (honors) with diploma in professional engineering practice, so is it good or should i still try for datasci at UNSW?

dav53521

HSC
Im in a similar situation and lowkey lost, cos i got an offer for UTS datasci engineering (honors) with diploma in professional engineering practice, so is it good or should i still try for datasci at UNSW?
From what I heard the diploma doesn't really give you internships and instead they force you to find your own.

dhwanit2005

HSC
From what I heard the diploma doesn't really give you internships and instead they force you to find your own.
Does that mean the diploma is useless? Because I don't know what exactly the last part means, and theres a lack of information on it

dav53521

HSC
Does that mean the diploma is useless? Because I don't know what exactly the last part means, and theres a lack of information on it
From what I heard it is somewhat useless but I'm not doing a diploma course so I'm not too sure but you can find info about what happens in the diploma here https://www.uts.edu.au/current-stud...neering-practice/what-does-internship-involve and about the diploma itself here https://www.uts.edu.au/current-stud...neering-practice-diploma-engineering-practice

__samuelkim__

HSC
From what I heard it is somewhat useless but I'm not doing a diploma course so I'm not too sure but you can find info about what happens in the diploma here https://www.uts.edu.au/current-stud...neering-practice/what-does-internship-involve and about the diploma itself here https://www.uts.edu.au/current-stud...neering-practice-diploma-engineering-practice
Do comp sci IDeA students and normal computing science students at UTS learn the same thing in the same classes or are they seperated

dav53521

HSC
Do comp sci IDeA students and normal computing science students at UTS learn the same thing in the same classes or are they seperated
The course structure is slightly different as in IDeA we don't have to do comp sci studio 1 and 2, intro to info systems and the honor stuff.

But we have to do adv algorithms, a transdisciplinary elective, and Introduction to Software Development, more electives and for some reason we are able to choose between maths 2 and data decision and decisions.

dhwanit2005

HSC
Isn't it mainly focussed on experience building, because at the end of your course, you come out with one year of experience, which other people don't have? Also are these paid internships?

dav53521

HSC
Isn't it mainly focussed on experience building, because at the end of your course, you come out with one year of experience, which other people don't have? Also are these paid internships?
I think it depends on whether you are able to land a paid internship and I assume that the purpose of these is to build experience but it would probably better to talk to UTS or someone who is doing engineering at UTS as they'll probably know more than me.

dhwanit2005

HSC
I think it depends on whether you are able to land a paid internship and I assume that the purpose of these is to build experience but it would probably better to talk to UTS or someone who is doing engineering at UTS as they'll probably know more than me.
Nah bruh i called UTS and the info they gave me was so generic, istg she was just looking at the same ting i was looking at on the info page

dav53521

HSC
Nah bruh i called UTS and the info they gave me was so generic, istg she was just looking at the same ting i was looking at on the info page
Yeah the student support lines can be like that sometimes, I guess it kinda depends on what degree they're doing.

__samuelkim__

HSC
The course structure is slightly different as in IDeA we don't have to do comp sci studio 1 and 2, intro to info systems and the honor stuff.

But we have to do adv algorithms, a transdisciplinary elective, and Introduction to Software Development, more electives and for some reason we are able to choose between maths 2 and data decision and decisions.
are the IDeA students and normal students in the same classes for the electives they both do or is IDeA in a different place.

dav53521

HSC
are the IDeA students and normal students in the same classes for the electives they both do or is IDeA in a different place.
They're in the same tutorials for both electives and core subjects although IDeA kids do tend to stick together a bit more.

__samuelkim__

HSC

Also is UNSW or UTS better for comp sci or are they basically the same thing?

dav53521

HSC
Also is UNSW or UTS better for comp sci or are they basically the same thing?
UNSW is typically considered better because it's more academically rigorous and the course is of pretty high quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)