Why Shouldnt You Work Out Your Whole Body At Once? (1 Viewer)

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Heaps of people keep telling me not to work out your whole body at once but instead work on 2 muscles a day. Can anybody tell me why I shouldnt work out my whole body at once?

Pace_T

HSC
its most effective to work out each muscle group once to twice a week. that way you get to recover. a lot of studies say that 48 hours is sufficient to recover but most bodybuilders or just people weight training do each muscle group once or twice a week, which gives the best results

also, each muscle should be trained a certain amount to make sure its properly trained. but if you train all your muscles in one workout it means you're going to go over 1 hour for ur session. some say train no longer than 1 hour. others say 1.5 just find what works for you. i dont know the reason why you don't train longer than that, its got something to do with your body releasing chemicals which does more damage than good.

so what is the solution if you have a time limit and you must give each muscle the right attention? you have to create a 'split' which focuses on certain muscles each session.

pick muscles that work together for each session, e.g. pulling muscles (back and bis) and pushing muscles (tris and pecs). think along those lines.

ive seen posts from a few people on these forums who know what they're talking about. they can give you some more reasons or even correct me if im wrong. i use to know it inside out about 5 years or so ago but forgot a lot of it now, i just know what to do, but can't remember why im doing it :confused:

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
yeah its to do with muscles recovering and hypertrophy
basically, so you dont overexert muscles that are used in compound exercises
eg shoulders, triceps etc

im not too cluey either

NinjaSauce

HSC
The number one rule of weight training is that all rules are not rules. Anything, and EVERYTHING can be broken. Infact, The one rule i would say works 90% of the time is "The best program is the one you're not on": If you do splits, try Full Body, If you are a full-body fan, try a split.

Here is a very simple article i found in 10 seconds of looking:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=933431

Neither are 'better' than the other.

quik.

HSC
What Ninjasauce said. They are two different approaches to training, try both and find what works best for you and your goals.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
BIGTYMA said:
Heaps of people keep telling me not to work out your whole body at once but instead work on 2 muscles a day. Can anybody tell me why I shouldnt work out my whole body at once?
Mate, I've been doing whole body workouts and it has worked for me. Just make sure you give your body enough recovery time and drink raw eggs.

Last edited:

Nat3skiz

HSC
SomeoneCool said:
Mate, I've been doing whole body workouts and it has worked for me. Just make sure you give your body enough recovery time and drink raw eggs.
or cooked eggs if thats what you prefer

nick90

HSC
cooking the egg means your body will absorb much more of the egg protein. It also eliminates the risk of contracting salmonella.

On the other side of the argument, Rocky drinks raw eggs.

dumarab

HSC
mate, it changes from body to body.
You just have to know yours.

But generally you can't just do your arms always mainly because your center of gravity will get fucked up and the fact that your legs release the most hormones when you work then out.

Thats why you get horney after you do weights.

gavvsy

HSC
BIGTYMA said:
you have to let your muscles recover after a workout. Drinking Protein before a workout gives the body an energy boost, so you can increase the weight intensity which develops muscle. drinking protein after a workout increases the recovery rate. Drinking creatine is more effective for building muscles and it encourages the muslces to build new tissue, which increases size and strength

historykidd

HSC
gavvsy said:
you have to let your muscles recover after a workout. Drinking Protein before a workout gives the body an energy boost, so you can increase the weight intensity which develops muscle. drinking protein after a workout increases the recovery rate. Drinking creatine is more effective for building muscles and it encourages the muslces to build new tissue, which increases size and strength
thanks.

DanielNH2318

HSC
BIGTYMA said:
simply, muscle needs about a week to repair and grow stronger.. check out bodybuilding.com they explain it in more detail or just talk to the instructors at your gym.

NinjaSauce

HSC
DanielNH2318 said:
simply, muscle needs about a week to repair and grow stronger.. check out bodybuilding.com they explain it in more detail or just talk to the instructors at your gym.
I highly suggest you stop reading bodybuilding.com as soon as possible. They have obviously already started to misguide you.

Bodybuilding.com are like the gym clowns of the internet. They are here for everyone else's amusement.

Nereis

HSC
Full body is mostly for beginning lifters. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone still on a full body program when they're squatting 200kg+. The reason, your CNS needs time to recover from the massive shock or else your compromising your lifts in your next workout. That said, you should be on a full body workout until all your main lifts (bench, squat, deadlift) are firmly into the 100kg+ range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)