Why The Big Sleep? (1 Viewer)

mynameisemma

HSC
Hey, my class has been watching 'The Big Sleep', and aside from being really confused as to what is actually going on in the movie (we've worked it out now... sort of) we were wondering why it is actually called 'The Big Sleep'?

Any ideas?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I think, but I might be wrong, the 'big sleep' is a metaphor or euphemism for 'death'

And since you worked out what it is about, mind sharing some ideas? :p I am totally confuse:(.

mynameisemma

HSC
Yeah, I suppose it makes sense for 'The Big Sleep' to be a euphemism for death. Pretty lame title in my opinion. As for what is going on... it's bloody complicated. See this website below - I tried to write a 'quick' overview but I realised I would be here all day.

http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/BigSleep/bigsleep.htm

These are the deaths:
  1. Carmen killed Regan out of jealousy (antecedent action)
  2. Owen Taylor, the Sternwood chauffeur, shot Geiger at his house because he loved Carmen and didn't like that she was being blackmailed
  3. Joe Brody killed Owen Taylor and pushed his car into the ocean to get the film from Geiger's camera back
  4. Geiger's shadow (Carol Lundgren) shot Brody as he answered his apartment door because he mistakenly thought that Brody was the one who killed Geiger
  5. Canino, one of Eddie Mars' henchman, poisoned Harry Jones because he knew too much (via Agnes, the saleslady at Geiger's bookstore who was working for Brody)
  6. Marlowe killed Canino as he shot his way out of the house behind the service station
  7. Eddie Mars was killed by his own men as he ran out of Geiger's house
It's just too confusing! :burn:

Jerixodia

HSC
mynameisemma said:
Hey, my class has been watching 'The Big Sleep', and aside from being really confused as to what is actually going on in the movie (we've worked it out now... sort of) we were wondering why it is actually called 'The Big Sleep'?

Any ideas?
I thought it was called "The Big Sleep" because thats all i did while it was been played in my Extension Class.

mynameisemma

HSC
Jerixodia said:
I thought it was called "The Big Sleep" because thats all i did while it was been played in my Extension Class.
Haha... yeah that might have something to do with it...

lacklustre

HSC
Matt1120 said:
Mars killed Regen....Mrs ruthledge though Carmen killed regen thats y she was being blackmailed by mars
No I'm pretty sure it was Carmen who killed Reagan because she loathed having her sexual advances rejected by a man.

Marlowe covers this up by ringing Bernie Ohls (his police contact) and telling him that Mars killed Reagan. (I assume to keep Vivian safe and the Sternwood's family name untainted).

Please tell me if I'm wrong, although I'm sure I have the plot right.

lacklustre

HSC
Matt1120 said:
No coz at the end Marlowe says to vivian, carmen didnt kill regan mars did. Vivian thinks it and is being blackmailed by Mars.. i should know coz we did it yesterday lol
Well you didn't do it properly. I suggest you watch it again.

Marlowe: I got some more red points for ya.
Ohls: Who is it this time?
Marlowe: Eddie Mars. His boys got him. There's more to it than that. He killed Regan. I'll tell ya about it when I see ya.
Ohls: Where are you?
Marlowe: At the same place - Laverne Terrace. You'd better come up and get me out of here. And watch yourself. They may still be outside.

He said "Eddie Mars...He killed Regan" to Ohls, not Vivian. Marlowe is covering up for the Sternwoods (by protecting Carmen - "And you'll have to send Carmen away from a lot of things. They have places for that. Maybe they can cure her - it's been done before.") He knows Carmen did it, but he is loyal to his client and will not turn her in.

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
lacklustre said:

Marlowe: Eddie Mars. His boys got him. There's more to it than that. He killed Regan. I'll tell ya about it when I see ya.
Marlowe: At the same place - Laverne Terrace. You'd better come up and get me out of here. And watch yourself. They may still be outside.

He said "Eddie Mars...He killed Regan" to Ohls, not Vivian. Marlowe is covering up for the Sternwoods (by protecting Carmen - "And you'll have to send Carmen away from a lot of things. They have places for that. Maybe they can cure her - it's been done before.") He knows Carmen did it, but he is loyal to his client and will not turn her in.
ok fair enough but i think they're talking about carmens drug addiction......i'm just quoting my english teacher lol

LibbyL

HSC
na it was carmen hu shot regan as she didnt like the fact that he rejected her... thats y viv is always protectin carmen and thats also y she tells marlow that she will tell the police that she did it wen they r driving 2 giegers 4 the last time.. she is forever doin wateva it takes 2 protect her family..

memadison

HSC
tahls-- said:
Anyone know the contextual influences on the film "The Big Sleep"?
all i can remember atm that it was produced during the time when hollywood was spitting out loads of movies and one wasnt particulary significant. and that they sold actors as couples - humphrey bogart and lauren bacall.

FILM NOIR would be the major one

memadison

HSC
lacklustre said:

im pretty sure that even the producers didnt know how everyone was killed, we read some commentary in class. the driver - what was his name? his death was never explained, as well as another... plus they talk so fast in the movie its hard to understand

lacklustre

HSC
memadison said:
im pretty sure that even the producers didnt know how everyone was killed, we read some commentary in class. the driver - what was his name? his death was never explained, as well as another... plus they talk so fast in the movie its hard to understand
The identity of who actually killed Owen Taylor the chauffer (although it is sorta implied that Brody did it) are shrouded in mystery (yes I remember reading that Chandler didn't even know himself).

But for sure Carmen killed Regan. It's there in black and white if you really concentrate and listen to the dialogue (I had to watch it a couple of times for the same reason).

mynameisemma

HSC
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Carmen who killed Regan. It's been a while since I watched it by now, but I definitely got the impression that Marlowe was covering for Carmen by blaming Mars (he couldn't exactly defend himself, being dead and all.) That girl really needed help.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Yeah I thought it was Carmen too. Mars actually doesn't commit any crimes apart from hiring hit men.

Marlowe describes Eddie Mars as “a killer by remote control” who “never kills anybody. He just hires it done.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)