Why won't selective schools+top private schools have more subject accelerations (1 Viewer)

Suu

HSC
N/A
I find that comparing the exams of the top selective schools against the normal schools, the top schools incorprate elements of higher grades (for example, circle geometry) in their exams- so they are kind of already accelerating whilst following the curriculum if you get what i mean.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Where can we run the experiment?
At school

Some schools do experiment to see if their band 6 rate increases but really all acceleration does is fill in the gap from the cohort above

Also some schools are too scared to introduce acceleration because it might jeopardise their results

Consider a "normal" year 12 class and an accelerated year 12 class, who's more likely to get more band 6's?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
At school

Some schools do experiment to see if their band 6 rate increases but really all acceleration does is fill in the gap from the cohort above

Also some schools are too scared to introduce acceleration because it might jeopardise their results

Consider a "normal" year 12 class and an accelerated year 12 class, who's more likely to get more band 6's?
You tell us? IIRC Accelarted (well atleast in my school) is only offered to outstanding students. So I'd say the accelerated class would perform better.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
My school accelerated IPT in Year 9/10 (which required students to have after school classes).

The main problem with acceleration is fitting it in with the other subjects. My school, as does most selective schools, try to incorporate Year 11 content early during Year 10, especially in that void term after Year 10 assessments are finished.

My teacher went through the course at a very fast pace in Year 11, and covered things like Mathematical Induction in the second lesson.

mrstripedshades

HSC
i agree OP... But I think a LOT of schools offer acceleration. If I had the oppurtunity to accelerate Maths, English Adv (probably the best one to accelerate but not sure if I would accelerate it) or Physics. I would've 100% done one.

But my school offered NO acceleration courses... and its catholic wtf man. Life would be so much better lol

descartes

HSC
N/A
Baulko accelerated geo didn't work
It depends what you mean by "did not work"

If the goal was increasing the number of Band 6's the school achieved, then you are correct.

However, learning is not about how many Band 6's you get

If the goal was, to allow Year 9/10 students to experience the senior level of work early, without the pressure of the final result having to count towards the ATAR. Allowing them to study a subject that they probably would not have taken in Years 11/12. To challenge the students by studying at a higher level, then you are wrong. It was a success.

When it comes to acceleration Baulko accelerates in;
Sit HSC in Yr 10
Ancient History
Design & Technology
Geography
Music 2
Studies of Religion

Sit HSC in Yr 11
Economics
Japanese

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
My school accelerated IPT in Year 9/10 (which required students to have after school classes).

The main problem with acceleration is fitting it in with the other subjects. My school, as does most selective schools, try to incorporate Year 11 content early during Year 10, especially in that void term after Year 10 assessments are finished.

My teacher went through the course at a very fast pace in Year 11, and covered things like Mathematical Induction in the second lesson.
YEah this is one of the issues regarding subject acceleration-timetable clashes (as discussed in the first page)
i agree OP... But I think a LOT of schools offer acceleration. If I had the oppurtunity to accelerate Maths, English Adv (probably the best one to accelerate but not sure if I would accelerate it) or Physics. I would've 100% done one.

But my school offered NO acceleration courses... and its catholic wtf man. Life would be so much better lol
lol accelerating in those subjects would've been amazing but you do realise just because you want to accelerate to save time in your HSC doesn't mean that you get to. In order to accelerate (if your school offers it obviously), you need to be top 20 for that subject in the cohort. Say you wanted to do accelerated chemistry, you would've have to been top 20 in junior science in your grade. There are guidelines to acceleration which you can read on the boardofstudies' website

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)