whys the uai going up for unsw engineering...dammit (1 Viewer)

phrred

HSC
withoutaface said:
Mid band 5's and low band 6's got me 98.1, so you're wrong. Use SAM and fiddle around a bit, angmor.
ye mid bands 5s low band 6s would be 95+ definitely

for 80+ i reckon low-mid band 5s or high band 4s

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
as in high band 4s in the externals? can u explain to me how they actually work out ur mark internally?
...say i get band 5s and low band 6s for my externals, but my school cohort was pretty shit. would i still get the 95+?

angmor

HSC
ok say i go to a school which is in the 150 - 250 ranked range. im coming top 5 for every subject (see my sig), except english which is like 14/46 and maths im 13/46. all the science classes have about 25 ppl.

what sort of bands in the externals do you think ill have to get to attain a uai higher than 80+?

elfm

HSC
if you're ranked well in whatever school you go to, you should have no troubles getting 80 uai.

angmor

HSC
thats what im trying to ask u guys, since you've done the hsc :(
my school is not good, average is like 75, but my ranks are good. will
english 2U 14/46 70% trial marks
Maths 2U 13/46 76% trial marks
Chemistry 4/22 70% trial marks
Physics 5/25 70% trial marks
Biology 7/20 80% trial marks

is this good enough for me to get 80+ uai???? please tell me lol im scared

MikiRei

HSC
hmmmm - that looks like a pretty good result, not to mention, high scaling subjects (Biology, Physics and Chemistry) - you should be able to get at leat 80+ but again, use SAM - it gives a pretty good rough estimate (was off for me by 0.4 when I tried it)

angmor

HSC
i thought u cant use sam? coz i cant erally determine my scaled/aligned hsc/internal/whatever mark xD
thanks for reassuring me though :)
SAM only makes me sad when i plug in my raw trial marks :(

AE86

HSC
angmor said:
thats what im trying to ask u guys, since you've done the hsc :(
my school is not good, average is like 75, but my ranks are good. will
english 2U 14/46 70% trial marks
Maths 2U 13/46 76% trial marks
Chemistry 4/22 70% trial marks
Physics 5/25 70% trial marks
Biology 7/20 80% trial marks

is this good enough for me to get 80+ uai???? please tell me lol im scared
I think it's still possible for an 80 on the dot based on the 2004 HSC.

However, if you're aiming for mid 80's you should really pull up the marks of your english and maths.

For the long run, if you are wanting to do engineering, you really need to improve your maths because maths in engineering involves levels in the 3unit and 4unit maths. 3u and 4u maths are supposed to be heaps easy already in 1st yr as well.

angmor

HSC
musk - all our science papers were CSSA, i think. they were modified though. our maths paper was CSSA too.

Just James

Veteran Member
HSC
Bands aren't a good indication of what UAI you'll get. It depends on the subject in which you get that band. You could get band 5's and 6's in subjects like Aboriginal Studies, General Mathematics, Standard English, Hospitality and Senior Science and your UAI will probably be no higher than 80-85. Or if you're like one of my friends who got band 4's and 5's in Advanced English, Maths Ext 1, Maths Ext 2, Chemistry and Physics, you'll get a UAI of 90.05 or there abouts.

I did my HSC in 2005 and I studied Advanced English (band 5), Maths Ext 1 (band E3), Maths Ext 2 (band E3), Chemistry (band 6) and Physics (band 6). My UAI was 96.60.

angmor

HSC
hi sorry :(
im doing this for a friend, he goes to my school (Ranked 150-250) and he wants to know whether he can get 85+ . he also wants to get into Enginnering lol...

these are his ranks

Biology 11/20 50%
Chemistry 9/22 52%
Physics 12/25 43%
Mathematics 28/46 62%
History 10/20 76%
History Extension 6/9 80%
English 2U adv. 25/46 75%

elfm

HSC
angmor said:
hi sorry :(
im doing this for a friend, he goes to my school (Ranked 150-250) and he wants to know whether he can get 85+ . he also wants to get into Enginnering lol...

these are his ranks

Biology 11/20 50%
Chemistry 9/22 52%
Physics 12/25 43%
Mathematics 28/46 62%
History 10/20 76%
History Extension 6/9 80%
English 2U adv. 25/46 75%

if those percentages are his marks, then i'd highly doubt he'll even get 75 uai, assuming his exams are easy. by the looks of things, it seems like he's crap at maths and physics - 2 major components of engineering, which might be reason enough for him to look at another career path...

as for you, if you pull up your english marks, you will do well in the hsc. english counts for a lot, and if you can get into the top 10 for english advanced, then you'll have no troubles getting 85 uai.

getting 80 uai is pretty easy if you have half a clue. your marks are good, don't worry so much.

Last edited:

angmor

HSC
man..i was hoping you'd give him some hope :( what if he tries really hard and improves to say band 5s?

Just James

Veteran Member
HSC
Musk said:
gr8 thx for the life story, it wasnt needed
Actually, someone before asked about bands and what kind of UAI you can expect, so I tried to give him some useful facts regarding other peoples' experiences. Maybe I should have quoted him so that you would know I wasn't just giving a life story for no damn reason. I hope that's cleared things up :)

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Musk said:
if he does the interview, prepared to get flamed by the lectureres for doing history ext. they all care about is the subjects related to engineering and thats it.
what do they actually ask you about the related subjects?

angmor

HSC
as said before, if you dont get the uai you want, they'll probably be going for people who didnt excel in some subjects, but are good in maths, physics, engineering studies, etc. itll probably be a plus in yur interview

gman03

HSC
angmor said:
as said before, if you dont get the uai you want, they'll probably be going for people who didnt excel in some subjects, but are good in maths, physics, engineering studies, etc. itll probably be a plus in yur interview
I agree with this comment. For the random posted HSC results, here is how I will evaluate your chance of doing engineering:

* If you are doing Mathematics 2U and struggle a bit say on calculus stuff and that you memorise a lot of things before the exam and havn't really care about those exercises in your textbook, sorry engineering is out for you.

* If you don't do physics - you are out

* If you do physics and are shit in it because of the essay nature of the question? Don't worry, you are still in as you only need to understand the mechanics and not know how to blab 10 pages on how einstein was a hero and stuff.

* If you want to do engineering because it has one of the lowest cutoff compare with other degree such as commerce and law and stuff, forget it.

Why did they bring 85 as the minimum?

* You ought to be competent in maths and physics, and that if you do "alright" in them then your uai should be in the 75 region. The extra 10 is to see how motivated you are. If you are not motivated at all that don't bother with engineering.

* Consistency and motivation are essential... they bring up your UAI and hence the requirement for engineering degree. If the only thing that you've done up to now is "hope for the best" (i.e. I hope to get > 75 but I am not going to seek help.... etc) then you are not motivated enough.. Why are't you putting in the extra effort? Too lazy? Too many social activities?

* You don't have to study 100 hours every week to be motivated, you should aim at spending 2 hours per day - that's consistency!

What do they actually ask you about the related subjects?

How well do you think like an engineer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)