Wicked - The Broadway Musical (1 Viewer)

Gypo09

HSC
I was just wondering if there are any techniques that would be good to use for a musical?? I've got all the general techniques but I'm stuck on any that apply directly to a musical.

Also i was wondering if anyone who has seen Wicked thought it is a good text to use for belonging???

Thanks heaps

sempermaria

HSC
I think it's a clever idea. My teachers often put forward the idea of suggesting a student's sophistication, so if a musical isn't high culture enough...

Anyway. I always thought that film techniques applied to stage as well, sans the camera techniques (like framing and pan left, etc...).

I.e., you'll have to focus on both the use of visual imagery (Elphaba's green in contrast to normal skinned folks, how they contrast Elphaba and Galinda) and the aural (Galinda's songs are always flamboyant and grandiose while Elphaba's are darker, wistful and uses a lot of percussion and string instruments to emphasize that, etc.)

*shrug* My two cents.

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
I'm using wicked as well, I'm focusing mainly on the story but also how it's conveyed... dramatic techniques, costuing etc...

Gypo09

HSC
thanks heaps that helped a lot :D

it seriously is the best musical ever made. i haven't spoken to anyone who hasn't enjoyed it. I will never look at the Wizard Of Oz the same again.

sazleberry

HSC
Im seeing it after the HSC!
Stage directions, lighting, sound and costume would be great for this musical!
The lighting would be awesome if you were talking about Elphaba and Fiyero in their song "As long as your mine"... The lighting dims to show them and their relationship, And how at his time, Fiyero doesnt care that elphaba is green... :)

Nightsarah

HSC
LOVE LOVE LOVE wicked.
I don't know if I'd be inclined to do the musical as a supp text though...but if you're brave enough than it is your call!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wicked is a good show, but vastly overhyped.

As for it's usage as a related text, it would work, but it's hard to access, in order to keep refreshing your mind of techniques. I used a musical for a related text, but I choose the movie version, as it was easier to access consistently. I did another show as well as a text, but for that, I had a copy of the script.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)