Wilfred Owen - war poetry (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Anyone doing old willfe as close study?. I really enjoy him....

*b*e*c*c*a*

hmmm....
HSC
yeah our class at school is doing wilfred owen. (our mad class of 5 in yr 12, but 4 are in standard and 1 is in advanced)

he's ok

a couple of his poems are a lil hard to understand but the rest seem to be fine

he was a pretty good writer

*b*e*c*c*a*

hmmm....
HSC
jeff0511 said:
how come there are 5 people in your class?
well we did have more but people kept dropping out.
we had 15 at the start of year 11 - 14 girls and 1 boy
some of the girls jst had personal problems and couldnt hack it.
at the start of year 12 we had 8 and then 3 dropped out half way through
so yeah...
but we also have a pretty small school
we have the smallest year 12 class at our school eva
its pretty good
you get a lot of one on one with teachers

iggy pot

if they ask us about a particular poem will they provide a copy of the poem or are we expected to remember them all?

MouNtY

i think sometimes they provide an excerp from a poem to start you off.......but yeah you have to remember the poems that your doing

i really enjoy wilfred owennhis writings are really good....i like 'em

danno

i liked doing owen, it was very interesting, plus i got my highest marks on owen :)

HSC
i done started owen and i think the poems are ok. but i have a question!!
does any one have any suggestions on how to remember it all??

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I'm using the ''Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori'' poem for english ext 2, so yeah if you guys want to maybe offer me notes. I won't refuse =)

haha... good one
yeah OWEN is soooooooooo boring ARGH i get a headache just thinking about him... :uhhuh:
a few months ago u could ask me a question about ANY of his poems i coulda told u everything... but now... its GOOONE!
hey maybe if i find any of my notes... ill post it up here..! :D
haha one poem u can never go wrong at is FUTILITY!
and the one technique u can also NEVEr go wrong at is imagery.. haha thats my favourite

3G'sMt5:16

HSC
Owen is maad.... you learn so much from war dude

anyways... quite talkin about it and START TALKIN ABOUT THE STUDY OF IT in here!!! lol

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
my teacher has no idea, we just started owen's poems n she will read them and say answer the questions but will have no idea if we ask her something about a section of the poem and cant even answer the questions herself, i dont know if its better us having to find out everything though, most people just sit there and treat it like their at a party every morning.

How many of the poems do we need to know very well anyway??

HSC
Just know ONE IDEA from each poem (the one that you know well preferebly) and then TIE that in with A/ MULTIPLE TECHNIQUES they use in that particualr section/ idea on what it is about... then you APPLY THE QUESTION TO your THEORY... then APPLY the KEYVERB\S to the theory... so then you would hab aboutsss....

6 ideas
6 techniques

FOR EACH POEM

Plus maybe chuck in some things you like to remember as well in your spare time or for woffling... remember, its the PRACTICE that counts... not the amount of memorisaasion you use/ have!

Cioa! - Peter

Last edited:

HSC
anyways I DO NOT KNOW ANYONE IN this forum

soo..---> lets start pullin out the poem and lets share these ideas and techniques to eachother shalls we..

maybe llater i'm doing maths soon.. ttyl about owen! (since we are in the so called 'education section!'

Last edited:

turner_nicoletu

HSC
Easy to remember

undefinedundefinedundefinedThe easiest way to remember any text is to pick an choose the important bits, just parts that you KNOW you will remeber, and can expalin in several different contexts no matter what the question is. You don't need the entire poem, just three or four quotes from four or five different poems. And it's easier with Owen, because they all have a common theme, war and the loss of life.

HSC
yeh i agree... its about the war and the loss of lives, innocent youths

Also the themes are tied all in together, so we can kinda tie in the ideas we remember with the similar ideas that are tied or linked with the other poems

yeh we cant go wrong with the uses of IMAGERY in owen bwhahaha... e.g.

THE LAST LAUGH

(The last laugh is one of the 'T's' out of the 5 poems of DAFTT -->T (DAFTTT) which means: Dulce et decorum est, anthem for doomed youth, futility, The last laugh, the next war and The send-off... kekek me and my acronimmmssss)

(ONE IDEA + 2 TECHS) Excerpt: And the bayonets long teeth GRINNED... whoa such imagery and personification

pssht i just remember my techs usin this --> SPAMO (similie, personif, alit, meta, and onemata) lol

anyways, i saw the 2002 exam paper... and it starts of with a quote from anthem for doomed youth and it goes like this:

(ONE IDEA + and 2 TECHS) : " The SHRILL demented choirs of wailing shells and bugles calling for them from sad shires"

why is it shrill... hmmm dictionary hehe... it means: High-pitched and piercing in tone or sound

whoa how interesting is that idea!.. its got the techniques of onematopeia (SHRILL) and (WAILING) shells :) and a kinda like nostalgic feeling of wanting to go back to the lands of the shires (some englandish language i think...?) which is a tone and pitch of sadness and sorrowness :), hmmm and we shouldnt forget the IMAGERY too

keke

thats my ideas

Last edited:

HSC
turner_nicoletu said:
undefinedundefinedundefined

1. The easiest way to remember any text is to pick an choose the important bits,
2. just parts that you KNOW you will remeber, and can
3. explain in several different contexts no matter what the question is.
4. You don't need the entire poem, just three or four quotes from four or five different poems.
5. And it's easier with Owen, because they all have a common theme, war and the loss of life.

HMM well for point :
1. EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT
2. you can remember anythin you want... but i guess we all know heres and theres... like me RAPID RIFLING RATTLES (ALLIT)
3. NOW THAT POINT IS EXCELLENT.. we should share this ideas... you may see it alot in the exemplars in the band 6 responses ... excellent ideas

e.g. Beggars suggests that the soldiers are DESTITUTE (dont have the basic necessities of life) and are in POVERTY and evokes (reminds) to the audience of the terrible creation of IMAGERY put upon them (the audience) which amplifies the clarity of the AGONISING HORROR and PITY of war.

4. Man one quote from each poem is enough.. then tie in point 3.. no need 4 techs and 3\4 quotes thats crazy

thats like 4x5 = 20 techniques and 20 quotes... duffissss lol.. but narh see where your comin from

depends if you wanna put short and sweet sentances with differeing themes you see... so its quite tricky... BUT DUDE.. all band 6 resonses dont do them... they just use your point 3 i

BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE KEY VERB YOU SEE.. if its describe then thatsss somfing different.. that would help the person who remembered 20 quotes... LOL.. which is quite stupid to do obviously

5. NIce point .. truuu dat mate!

WOW... i wouldnt mind coming on to revise in here for some exam tips LOL

THE BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIGBIG BIG BIG BIGBIG BIG BIG BIGBIG BIG BIG BIGBIG BIG BIG BIGBIG BIG BIG BIGBIG BIG BIG BIG problem is this

----> can you write about 7-10 pages (pref 8 maybe) in 40 mins for a 20 marks question on OWEN???? LOL

PRACTICE... and use my strategy mentioned on page 1!!! thats (i reckon) is enough to write 20 pages... SERIOUSLY

just need to practice for 7-10 PAGES

Last edited:

PhotonicalPoké

HSC
I'd pick out parts of the poems that I know really well, like the techniques and how they give out meaning and so fourth. "Play my strenghths" rather than attempt to memorise and explain something i'm not good at :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)