Wilfred Owen - war poetry (1 Viewer)

3G'sMt5:16

HSC
hmmm.... I think we can all understand the themes in each poem... just go get a study guide photonical (who are you anyways..lol)

Everybody studies different

Well.. i was just wondering about this weighting thingo, and like the amount of marks... I BELIEVE THAT 9 pages in 40 mins is a VERY EXCELLENT RESPONSE FOR A BAND 6 :) following all the steps i (or we) said previously..:)

hmmm, and especially the STRUCTURE OF our essays... that only comes by PRACTICE... see how practice makes perfect and a good response overall

adyosss - Pete

HSC
skyby said:
all of his poerty is brilliant! i am glad i did his texts
Thats good you appreciate him... but I personally think that we should chuck in some ideas ABOUT THE POEM\ some strategies on how to study it ... that'll EXCEL everyone in this FORUM... derno... just thought of that

Maybe some exam tips like ... get to the point in the essay ... stuff like that

I just think DOING The poem in an educated forum is better than saying something like... OH I LOVE OWEN... i knoew we do... lol its better to DO the poiem than LIKE/ APPRECIATE the poem

what we're waiting for... SHARE some ideas... keke

PhotonicalPoké

HSC
9 pages in 40 mins?! I can just manage to write 4 :chainsaw:

Strategies I used to study for the text before;
I wrote down what themes in each poems were.
I wrote several quotes which demonstrated the themes.
I wrote how the quotes showed the theme and explained the techniques that were in the quote to demonstrate the theme :cool:

HSC
ohh boy y its late... this strategy sounds excellent... seriously

hmmmmms,

YOUR REPLY:
Strategies I used to study for the text before;
1. I wrote down what themes in each poems were.
2. I wrote several quotes which demonstrated the themes.
3. I wrote how the quotes showed the theme and explained the techniques that were in the quote to demonstrate the theme

My Evaluation for point:

1. Thats good, but i would just get ONE theme from each poem... too much aint good (i'm assuming you did all the themes since your saying themeS with a plural).

2. Hmm, quotes are always goob..lol (all bands 6 musts do em)

3. so you saying:

1/ e.g. "What candles may be held to speed them all"

2/ how this quote show the theme: the immensity of the pity of war... becuase of no church being celebrated for dead soldiers... as in no formal candles held) -->

3/ Techniques: (CAUSE) Rhetorical questions, tone is softer in the sester (seven..SEST SEVEN..lol) as compared to the octave (8 verses.. octagon hehe) and more compassionate or pitiful (EFFECT). This technique emphasizes to the audience the main theme... i.e.

the immensity of the pity of war!!!

I think thats excellent... hmm i always thought i'd would follow my way... i actually forgot about quotes... i put my quotes in random and after i put it down... i try to Use the KEYVERB they used in the question.. and etc etc

I think explaining the quote is important... but not all questions wants us to explain.. so i would reccommend (to put forward an idea/ sggstion/. POV/ argument for consideration or action..whoa still remember from BStud hhehe) that even though it doesnt tell us to ... its always good to just explain a bit about it to let the examiner know that we UNDERSTAND IT.. good on ya photons!

HSC
PhotonicalPoké said:
^LOL I just put more than one theme in to make it go for 4 pages :D
Ohh thats goob (lol)... I just pick one theme from each of the poems :)

Since i'm doing wilfe again..

i like this part in the Last Laugh:

QUOTE (3rd stanza):
"My Love!" one moaned. Love-languid (starts to lack spirit) seemed his mood,
Till slowly lowered, his whole face kissed the mud. (NOTE the use of , repeatedly)
And the Bayonets' long teeth grinned

*ouch* and *yikes*

Theme: Love (for related ones or loved ones), the pity of war and horror of war, the conditions of war, feelings at war and the stress involved and agony, hmmm... the barbaric (in poor taste, tasteless - lacking aesthetic or social taste) cruelty of the scene is projected clearly.

Techniques: ermss,,, exclmtion mark, hyphens for short sharp pauses, repetative comma use for effect in building emotion (building tension/ stress), emotive words (my love, slowly), imagery (OFFCOURSE LOL), personification etc etc (any more?), oh yeah.. hyperbole?? what the, Visual imagery sounds better, slow motion imagery (lol.. made it up), emotive language... etc... anymore??

Last edited:

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
i was given a question in english that 'Owens poetry is not simply about war.' discuss.. what are your views on that..?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's about the beauty and value of life and nature, the horror of killing machines man unleashed on himself, the emotional destruction of the solidiers, the loss of faith in the Christian church, and the frustrated, tortured expressions of a homosexual man of turn of the century Europe.
(Well that's all I can think of now)

HSC
remember its a good idea to link it back to a major idea, as well as linking idea, image, technique and example

for example, futility can have the major idea of sun as symbolism, bringer of life and death

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Casmira said:
remember its a good idea to link it back to a major idea, as well as linking idea, image, technique and example

for example, futility can have the major idea of sun as symbolism, bringer of life and death
The sun is obviously a metaphor for God (son of God, light of the world etc etc). Contrary to doctrine, God can't save the perfection he allegedly created. Without the meaning that God provided, Owen reflects on life's ultimate futility.

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
my teacher forbids us looking at material on Owens poetry, she says if we just go on what the pencil pushers write then we wont ever think about our own interpretations, each day she gave us a new poem we examined on our own and reported back to her, she said she has talked to her friends that are markers and they are so sick of owen and just marking the same things, even though they are somewhat correct they love it more when someone comes up with a new view on them.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If you're serious, you wont care about entertaining a fucking marker. If they want an interesting answer, they'll make an interesting syll. Why should you be disadvantaged for saying what you're meant to? Lead a rebellion if you must; the HSC is when you start taking control of your life.
But it's useful to point out that all creative works, Owen included, aren't objective. The artist/author etc. might steer you into thinking a certain way, but they give you room to interpret yourself. Your interpretation might even be better than the authors'. For example, in the last few posts, someone said that the sun in Futility represented life and death. I extended that interpretation to include the cosmological.
Certainly dont rely soley on your own observations.

HSC
man JUST ANSWER THE DARN QUESTION... who cares someone sounds nice... its always the person who ANSWERS THE QUSTION get da mark mate and it should always be that way... the boringness\ polishin in the exam can come after ya know what to write about whether creatively or not.. depending on your PRACTICE and SKILL of writing... mann chill out and try your best... and dun worry about the teachers reading a borin paper... as long as the annoyin question is responded toooo to the BEST OF YOUR ABILITY :)

hmmm.. not doin owen atm.. doin phys.. so try and chuck in more theory hehe

Last edited:

HSC
juss be yourself and do your best and write.. lol

anyways.,.. maths on monday.. soo

lol

hmmm... the derivative offf a^x hmmmmssssss... is

is

erm

well

dy \ dx = a^x log (base e and ONLY BASE e) x (where x is the power and a is the index)

therefore:

f(x) = a^2 would be

f'(x) = ln2 [OR log (base e) 2] . a^2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)