Will Investment banks hire "macquarie students"??? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Will Investment banks hire "macquarie students"???

It is common for people to say investment banks hires top "HD" students from top universities such as USYD and UNSW.

However, do you think its possible for me to be hired by investment banks if I have a macquarie uni degree (Bachelor of applied finance/ bachelor of professional accounting with a high distinction.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
you have no chance of working in IB unless you graduate from harvard/oxbridge.

sincerely,

VIPPER.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I haven't got any evidence but from what i heard, the majority are hired from USYD/UNSW with a small amount from Macquarie.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Will Investment banks hire "macquarie students"???

It is common for people to say investment banks hires top "HD" students from top universities such as USYD and UNSW.

However, do you think its possible for me to be hired by investment banks if I have a macquarie uni degree (Bachelor of applied finance/ bachelor of professional accounting with a high distinction.
yes, if they're good enough

so be good enough

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Just wait for somebody with industry experience to answer your question. I'd take everything else with a grain of salt.

is a roflcopter
HSC
one of the HR ladies from JPM or something back in the day told me they will not hire front office roles from UTS/MQ

i didnt bother to find out if thats true but yeah there you go

HSC
its possible, just google it and you can see current employees at whichever firm it may be, job description, uni degree and place of study. personally ive come across 1 kid that has made it into IB from macq

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Googled this out of curiosity and came up with this from Deutsche Bank: http://au.linkedin.com/pub/kate-abrahams/1/791/724

I don't know what it means but cool.
What's that got to do with anything? Her career success isn't anything to laugh at, but if you've used LinkedIn, the "Investment Banking" field at the top is what field you choose to nominate yourself as being in. Also, none of her roles were strictly IB per se either. Good on her though- I'd be happy to be in her position.

On another note, with real life industry experience, you will better appreciate the difference in title/grades between companies and countries. VP is a very American thing for example.

runnable

HSC
Also, none of her roles were strictly IB per se either. Good on her though- I'd be happy to be in her position.
This is correct. She's in Communications in a somewhat PR role. Not investment banking.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd caveat the above though that she is still GM level in one of the largest non-bank ASX100's which isn't too shabby (despite the recent events).

avro

HSC
What's that got to do with anything? Her career success isn't anything to laugh at, but if you've used LinkedIn, the "Investment Banking" field at the top is what field you choose to nominate yourself as being in. Also, none of her roles were strictly IB per se either. Good on her though- I'd be happy to be in her position.

On another note, with real life industry experience, you will better appreciate the difference in title/grades between companies and countries. VP is a very American thing for example.

I admitted I didn't know what it meant. However, I thought I would contribute because it said 'Macquarie.' At least the OP can still have a look if they choose.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha not exactly, but you're not far off from being thrown out unless something caught my eye in 3 seconds. Eg you got 95+ in perhaps 90% of your subjects? Or you were the Councillor of City of Sydney?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)