Will marks be deducted... (1 Viewer)

``jes2iicah--

HSC
When doing the SC/HSC will marks be deducted if you provide more than one answer to a question that requires 1? This is a really stupid question but sometimes i get the urge to put down 2 just in case my first one is wrong..

What do you guys/gals think?? If there are any markers of the SC or HSC reading can you please give me an answer!

Thanks in Adv

A l

HSC
N/A
No, as long as they are correct you will score the mark. However, if you write something extra that is incorrect or contradicting then that cancels out your correct answer.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Why would you bother writing more than required? "Just in case"?

Then again, I'm lazy. :p

Deluge

HSC
LOL.

Well, I suppose, just learn all your stuff so there will be no need to write down several answers (unless it's a quadratic equation or if you're looking at the ambiguous case in trig).

Have conviction and learn your stuff. It saves you time for you to check over stuff. =)

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Deluge said:
(unless it's a quadratic equation or if you're looking at the ambiguous case in trig). )
That's not several answers then, that'll be all the necessary parts to a full answer :p

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
putting down extra unnecessary answers would just make the markers think you dunno your stuff and just guessed what the right answer is.

A l

HSC
N/A
While it is ideal to respond with a bare minimum and still get full marks, if you have doubts over whether your succinct response would get full marks then contrary to what others believe, I would probably recommend that you write as much relevent information as you can when answering a question, unless otherwise specified [e.g. they ask you to specifically name ONE idea instead of two]. I would recommend this especially for longer responses worth several marks.
Just make sure that they are relevent ideas that answer the question. This allows the marker to see your depth of knowledge and understanding and shows that you are not rote learning the course. Generally you would have no idea what's expected of you in the marking criteria and from personal experience, writing as many relevent points as you can will give you more chances to fulfill the marking criteria. The only exception would probably be extended responses (e.g. essays, creative writing...) where the response is assessed as a whole for its quality.
Also, I know in the HSC at least, (after hearing from HSC markers themselves) even if you do write irrelevent points, no marks would be deducted unless these points are incorrect or are self-contradicting. The only detriment of doing this is the potential of wasting time.

Zephyrio

HSC
Well, wouldn't writing irrelevant information in essays also be a detriment to your essay's structure? Because my teacher says that you shouldn't write down all you know, but all the relevant points. Also, it's a good idea not to write irrelevant information (unless you are severely stuck and would like to salvage a few marks) because it's easy to be stuck on a train of thought that is completely left of centre of the topic of question.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, so long as you dont contradict your correct work, you can write whatever you want. If its irrelevant to the question they'll ignore it.

A similar thing happened to me in a recent uni exam. I know it is a slightly different institution, but i doubt the procedure is different. I wrote a proof for a question, however the technique i used i had never even seen been done before (nor knew it existed), thus i was quite sure i was doing something wrong, so i started writing another proof on the next page. I didnt actually finish the second proof, but every i had written was right and didnt hinder the result from the first page. Thus, the marker gave me full marks and simply wrote 'ignored' on the second answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)