• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Will my school affect my UAI marks (1 Viewer)

D3Si

HSC
hey my friend was telling me that some guy in our school got marks in the 70s 80s but coz of d school his uai marks were scaled down and got like a uai of 60s....
is that how bad my school is gonna effect my uai?????
and my school is shit dont even some close to d top 200:burn:

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
D3Si said:
hey my friend was telling me that some guy in our school got marks in the 70s 80s but coz of d school his uai marks were scaled down and got like a uai of 60s....
is that how bad my school is gonna effect my uai?????
and my school is shit dont even some close to d top 200:burn:
NO.

Your school's results DOES NOT affect your own results.

joolee

HSC
school (year 12s from your school doing the hsc with you) does affect your uai. i know how it works but its pretty hard to explain. all i can say is that it's fair. so theres no way you get 70/80s but got scaled down to 60 just because of your school.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
joolee said:
school (year 12s from your school doing the hsc with you) does affect your uai. i know how it works but its pretty hard to explain. all i can say is that it's fair. so theres no way you get 70/80s but got scaled down to 60 just because of your school.
Which would prove my school liars.

Can anyone else confirm/clarify this?

HSC
that guy mustve picked pretty shit scaling subjects if he got band 4's and 5's to get a uai in the 60's.

the people you go to school with will have an affect on your hsc marks if you go all well internally and then the majority flunk the exam. and your hsc marks do have an affect on ur uai...so yea in a way it does affect uai...

joolee

HSC
if you keep getting 100 at your school, does that mean they'll put 100 in the school results column when you view your final results online? NO. (well unless you even got 100 in the hsc exams aswell)
in order to find out what to put in the school results column, they'll need to know your rank at school, as well as you/your schoolmates' hsc exam and school results.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
i think the process where they scale your HSC assessment mark based on your school performance is called 'moderation' or something like that.

Bascially if you are around the average of your grade, moderation will affect you somewhat, but if you are in the top ranks in your grade, then it would not affect you just as much.

They do this coz in more academic schools, the assessments set are much harder, so compared to their HSC exam mark this mark will be lower, hence it will be moderated to a similar level to that of the HSC exam mark.

more info here: http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
my principal said there was a distribution of marks thingy and he just advises us not to slack off ... he said for example if 6 ancient history students slack off then they will also affect classmates and their marks.

Beege

HSC
My principal and year advisors are just motivating all of us constantly to do well, a good way to raise the distribution of marks and I notice a few ppl who think they are too cool for studying are actually studying haha, looking good :)

Robbeh

HSC
Your school's performance will affect personal UAI.

drynxz explained it perfectly
i think the process where they scale your HSC assessment mark based on your school performance is called 'moderation' or something like that.

Basically if you are around the average of your grade, moderation will affect you somewhat, but if you are in the top ranks in your grade, then it would not affect you just as much.

They do this because in more academic schools, the assessments set are much harder, so compared to their HSC exam mark this mark will be lower, hence it will be moderated to a similar level to that of the HSC exam mark.
Essentially, helping fellow classmates and schoolmates post-assignment/assessments will benefit you. Internal marks will be judged on your performance in the assessments and that is within your school; but the performance in HSC examinations overall (by school) will also affect the scaling of your UAI slightly (statewide) (or so I'm led to believe!)

Last edited:

Polar999

HSC
Its quite logical. Tougher selective schools tend to set harder exams and thus everyones marks will be lower. Comprehensive schools TEND to have easier exams allowing more people to score higher. The only way to give a fair mark is to moderate your school mark (becoming your moderated school mark which is 1/2 your total mark) according to the HSC which is the only standardised test which everyone does regardless of school. If your school as a group does better, it will help improve the scaling (most subjects scale down regardless except 4u.maths and some others).
If your school (as a group) doesn't perform well in the HSC, it will degrade your scaling.

Season

HSC
The schools marking systems are compared against each other, if your school tends to mark easier then another school then those marks will be scaled down. I think its fair because private schools always have these high standards and its hard when you work hard and get a seemingly low mark.

In the end if you work hard and top everything then you'll get a good UAI, don't worry too much about scaling or moderationg. It'll make your head explode if you do.

and as my tutor says 'head exploding isn't conducive to topping the state is it'

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Apparently because I'm not in a metropolitan area, my school is 'disadvantaged', meaning I get an extra 4 points on my UAI. Now add that to the 4 extra marks I get for being in the feeder region of Newcastle Uni.... Hello 108 UAI.:):)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
lol drynxz noes so much about the hsc system it kinda freaks me out.

ssglain

HSC
When the BOS liaison officer came to my school for the routine Yr 12 talk, she mentioned that the highest and lowest internal assessment marks will be equated to the highest and lowest HSC exam marks from the school and everything in between will be scaled up/down accordingly.

kony

HSC
ssglain said:
When the BOS liaison officer came to my school for the routine Yr 12 talk, she mentioned that the highest and lowest internal assessment marks will be equated to the highest and lowest HSC exam marks from the school and everything in between will be scaled up/down accordingly.
which is scary when you think about it - some people in my school got 0/20 or 2/20 for that last chem assignment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)