Will Rudd surpass Keating? (1 Viewer)

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Well, obviously.

But it is being done.
Rudd's not far past the halfway mark of his first term. It's not as though reform (even small-scale) happens overnight.
Regardless, that doesn't answer the question.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
National Broadband Network.

Oh wow 21st century broadband woo! Oh wait yeah he also fully supports the mandatory internet filter which will drastically cut internet speeds, but yeah, what a great use of $42 Billion amirite??

Seriously, NBN is not a good thing.

Well, obviously.
But it is being done.
Rudd's not far past the halfway mark of his first term. It's not as though reform (even small-scale) happens overnight.
1. Given that the poster I was responding to claimed that "the only time anything gets done in this country is when labor is in power.", I think it was a fair criticism.

2. yeah okay that's cool, but given the way he talks (see my last post about reform etc), then I think it's a fair thing to say.

murphyad

HSC
Yeah the filter's a joke, I agree with you there.

People have been complaining about boastful politicians since time immemorial, but the truth is that talking yourself up is a great way to amass political capital. So the cynicism's fair enough to an extent, but I think it also pays to recognise it for what it is - simply an attempt to amass political capital. I mean, what sort of politician is going to say, "well, we've started putting in the broadband, but it's not done yet and may not be done when we leave office...." That's just political suicide, despite the fact that it may be more truthful. We need to look through the empty rhetoric to an extent, because it will always be around.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Oh wow 21st century broadband woo! Oh wait yeah he also fully supports the mandatory internet filter which will drastically cut internet speeds, but yeah, what a great use of $42 Billion amirite??

Seriously, NBN is not a good thing.

1. Given that the poster I was responding to claimed that "the only time anything gets done in this country is when labor is in power.", I think it was a fair criticism.

2. yeah okay that's cool, but given the way he talks (see my last post about reform etc), then I think it's a fair thing to say.
Not to mention the fact that wireless internet is widely believed to overtake broadband as the most viable and fastest internet choice soon.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
btw what the fuck kind of right wing party calls themselves "Liberal"? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS?
they're all absolute fucktards.
Any of the various Western political parties which associate themselves with classical economic liberalism?

Most Americans don't have a clue what the term 'liberal' means, which is why they misuse it so often.

Lentern

HSC
Okay cool so criticism = close-mindedness?

What exactly has Rudd achieved? Can you name anything good Rudd has done?

Rudd does not get things done.
This is how he works:

Step 1: Announce bold promise to fix/reform/tackle [insert issue]
Step 2: Commission white paper/report/etc
Step 3: Consult widely with stakeholders
Step 4: Get distracted by something else in the news cycle
Step 5: Have some committee meetings
Step 6: More consultation (even if no one shows up to the information sessions)
Step 7: Backpedal from major reform and launch a rebranded but otherwise similar/identical service/policy or make minor tweaks only
Step 8: Congratulate everyone on a job well done

For examples refer to: Indigenous Agenda, Health, Tax/Welfare, Defence, Climate Change, Employment, Workplace Relations, etc

(thanks to loquasagacious)
And how long did it take the conviction politician Howard to do something about climate change? And don't suggest the evidence wasn't around before the Stern report, there is a reason Hewson had a Carbon Emission Reduction strategy in his fightback package sixteen years ago.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
And how long did it take the conviction politician Howard to do something about climate change? And don't suggest the evidence wasn't around before the Stern report, there is a reason Hewson had a Carbon Emission Reduction strategy in his fightback package sixteen years ago.

Did I claim Howard was a good PM?

Did I claim he "got things done"?

HSC
By "that far into debt" do you mean debt levels similar to previous ones in Australian history? Id est: the lowest in the Western world?

Sure, I'd prefer no debt, but let's not delude ourselves by buying into the Coalition's hype machine.
I agree with S.H.O.D.A.N. here.

Also, Rudd didn't get us into debt single-handedly. People seem to be forgetting that we're led by a government, not an individual. And it's not just Australia. It's the whole economic system of the developed world.

Same deal in the US, though far more menacing.

Our economy, like the US, UK and many in the developed world, is a chronic current account deficit nation, splashing year-in year-out on the national credit card and hoping the global bank keeps increasing the limit.
Also, it's not like Howard was squeaky clean, either.

''Malcolm might happily forget that while his former government colleagues were steering the good ship Australia, the nation's total debt soared from a mere $700 billion in 1997 up to $3.2 trillion by the close of their term. An increase of 387%''.
Australia's debt dependent economy is headed for a painful adjustment, Michael West writes

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Not to mention the fact that wireless internet is widely believed to overtake broadband as the most viable and fastest internet choice soon.
No it's not. At all. Who told you that?

Telstra is struggling to crank out 20mbps on their new state-of-the-art 4g wireless spectrum network. And they're at the forefront of the world's wireless researchers (hey - Telstra innovating for once, how novell). And wireless has physically near-insurmountable issues with network connectivity, drop-outs, and terminal packet loss. Wired will certainly always win out in reliability.

For comparison, this National Broadband plan will give speeds of 100mps. While the national broadband plan in South Korea (I think?) will give speeds of 1000 mbps.

Wireless and wired each have distinct purposes. They overlap and compete, sure, but we won't soon see either replace the other.

Not to mention that once this NBN is built, we'll never need to replace it. All we'll do is upgrade the switches and shit - the lines thmeselves are fibre-optic (as opposed to Telstra's current ancient copper cable network) - the speed of light, so they can handle any speed we throw at them in future.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Did I claim Howard was a good PM?

Did I claim he "got things done"?
No but I tend to assume you think the opposite of whatever I do. I suppose your a Hawkey supporter with the god hating and all?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC

Telstra is struggling to crank out 20mbps on their new state-of-the-art 4g wireless spectrum network.
That isn't a 4G network, it's UMTS HSDPA, exactly the same technology which has been around for years now just implemented at a higher speed.

4G refers primarily to LTE, a standard we are a few years off at least.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Sylvester Br said:
What exactly has Rudd achieved? Can you name anything good Rudd has done?
More like what HASN'T he done?
*invade iraq
etc

he's won my vote

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC

Telstra is struggling to crank out 20mbps on their new state-of-the-art 4g wireless spectrum network. And they're at the forefront of the world's wireless researchers (hey - Telstra innovating for once, how novell). And wireless has physically near-insurmountable issues with network connectivity, drop-outs, and terminal packet loss. Wired will certainly always win out in reliability.

For comparison, this National Broadband plan will give speeds of 100mps. While the national broadband plan in South Korea (I think?) will give speeds of 1000 mbps.

Wireless and wired each have distinct purposes. They overlap and compete, sure, but we won't soon see either replace the other.

Not to mention that once this NBN is built, we'll never need to replace it. All we'll do is upgrade the switches and shit - the lines thmeselves are fibre-optic (as opposed to Telstra's current ancient copper cable network) - the speed of light, so they can handle any speed we throw at them in future.
My uncle, who works for Telstra gave me that tip, don't know how right he is though, but he is a big geek about this stuff. I think he's right though, I can see wireless as becoming a viable high speed alternative to broadband within the next 10 years.

You've got your facts right about current speeds, but I can see there being large investments into wireless from those who don't wish to associate with the NBN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)