Will you ever break up because parents told you to? (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Heck no. They have no right to dictate whom I'm in a relationship with.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
not if they told me directly, no. but their opinions of the relationship can start to have an affect on it at some point, which can definitely be a contributing factor to breaking up, yes.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If my dad had met half the girls I've been with...

He'd like them :shy:

chamelia

HSC
I've been in this situation before and yes, I did break up with him. The relationship had lasted a year and we had been close friends previously. My parents never liked his 'arty' and 'laid back' personality. The situation came to a head when he defended me to my parents and they believed he had stepped out of line. They gave me the ultimatum of stay with him and the entire family will disown you. So I made my choice...

Until I am married and settled I will always take my mothers opinions of my partners into consideration. I know she will only have my best interests in mind and has a fresh outside perspective.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I would and I have. Will do it again too. What kind of ill-bred beasts would not seek a parental sign-off on someone that they are serious about?

Tangent

HSC
I guess im blessed with the fact that my parents wouldnt do that to me.... well my mother anyways, id just ignore my father. I have the right to choose who i see and if i make a mistake ill learn from it. Its not soemthing that i can be protected from by my parents, no matter how hard they might try.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
M8s, if you somehow 'respect' your parents for not expressing any opinion on who youre dating, it's not because theyre cool and understand your individuality; they just dont give a shit.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Not at this age, no. I would however carefully consider what they had to say, my parents aren't the sort to speak badly of anyone without a just cause. The same goes for good friends.
When i was much younger, I would have.
EDIT: Also, Iron is absolutely right in his above post.

Tangent

HSC
M8s, if you somehow 'respect' your parents for not expressing any opinion on who youre dating, it's not because theyre cool and understand your individuality; they just dont give a shit.
I didnt say they didnt offer their opinion, of course they are concerned with who i date, but they wouldnt tell me to break up or anything. That is a decision i have to make myself, and i have to learn from my mistakes

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
I didnt say they didnt offer their opinion, of course they are concerned with who i date, but they wouldnt tell me to break up or anything. That is a decision i have to make myself, and i have to learn from my mistakes
You may find you save yourself a world of trouble and pain if you learn from the mistakes of others occasionally. Just saying.

Tangent

HSC
And yet there are some things that I need to experience for myself to learn the lesson. I'm not saying i don't listen to my parents, or dont take their opinions into account, but they wouldnt tell me to break up with anyone. It's not like I have been out with everyone anyway, and I know the kiond of person who I want to go out with. So far i have only had one relationship, and no amount of anyone telling me what to do would have changed what happened in the end, and the fact remains that they were one of the best people i have ever met.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
iron is right, you kids are pretty dumb, your parents usually just have your best interests at heart

evil_kitten

HSC
definately not.
but then again, my step dad doesnt like anyone that actually would care about me in the slightest, and he has fun convincing my mum that every guy i like is actually some serial-killing alcoholic.
i'd have to say, i would probably break up with someone if they DID approve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)