• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

windschuttle (1 Viewer)

PhiL

Did any of you who went get any notes, or take notes on what was being said?

Plebeian

Yes, they handed out notes. Out of the three speakers,

Stuart Macintyre gave a good overview of the history wars and some analysis of Windschuttle's arguments. I have put his notes here.

Lindall Ryan was useless, she just told us about her research methodology and then gave a lot of ambiguous crap about how she was trying to find a "flesh and blood story" which as Windschuttle points out is obviously going to affect her history.

Windschuttle owned, especially (as ptitsa said) the people who had prepared questions. They didn't really listen to his speech, because if you did he had already answered the questions, but the students just had strong ideological convictions and didn't care about whether what Windschuttle said was making sense. Anyway you can view the full text of his speech at http://www.sydneyline.com/NSW HSC extension 2004.htm.
Most of his stuff from all places is available at the site http://www.sydneyline.com.

HUNT

Originally posted by Zhang San Feng
we (our school) was the one in the front role with 3 ppl all with hands up wanting to ask question :p
sorry didn'y see you ,i was in the back row (on the speakers side) my school had the girl who asked windschuttle the first question......

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Originally posted by ptitsa
heheh..this study day was great.
loved the students who prepared specific questions for ol' windschuttle, only to get completely owned.
he's an intelligent man. i dont know how these fools thought they could trick him! it was cringeworthy stuff.
I was embarrassed for all the people who asked questions and ignored the whole 'ask a question dont give a statement' part. Windschuttle held up very well against them.

sje_01

A bit misleading....

Originally posted by veriante
We looked at windschuttle during our history class and it pissed us off due to the sheer idiocy of the man. He wrote that no such thing as the killing of Aborigines happened and if it did, it was only so little. He also claimed that everyone was looking at the History of Australia in too dark a fashion and that they should be proud of what happened...i suspect he included the wiping out of Aborigines in that statement. John Howard gave him an award of it ...

He's kind of like Irving, who claims that the holocaust did not happen...it was all 'fabricated' you see?
Not entirely true. Windschuttle hardly claims to be proud of Australia's past, but rather sheds new light on how to look at Australian history instead of the over-emotive and clearly subjective way historians such as Reynolds & Ryan were looking at it.
Comparisons to the Holocaust are playing more on emotion than truth and I think it is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)