Wireless Internet Access @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone use the wireless internet access? Just wondering what you guys thought of it.

Btw, if possible, could someone pls post the link to the relevant site to find out more (and enable it)? I can't seem to find it ><

Thanks!

tempco

HSC
I have it on my laptop. Reception in major lecture halls are good, but some parts of uni don't have any reception whatsoever. As for areas outside lecture halls, I wouldn't know, cause I don't use UniWide outside of lecture halls.

As for "enabling" it, you have to go to Disconnect (apparently you had to book a session, but I just showed up) and they'll set it up for you. You've gotta put a deposit of around $10 (min) to start you up.

http://www.uniwide.unsw.edu.au/

sunny

meh.
HSC
politik said:
Speeds on International Sites?
Once you actually manage to authenticate yourself without getting a 500 on the server it works quite well.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Though just remember, I think if you do use UniWide, you can only access UNSW sites for free. But for outside Non-UNSW sites, they cost a heap!

So...unless if you really need fast bandwidth on your laptop, avoid using Uniwide.

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
For surfing the web and what not without having to go to the library/lab, I think it is.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hey, speaking of accesing sites at uni. What are the rules like for accesing pages outside of email and webct etc on a uni computer. For instance, if I were in the computer lab 10 minutes before the math lab started, would I be able to visit this site to browse?

elfm

HSC
i'm pretty sure maths doesn't block boredofstudies. the library computers block half teh interweb tho :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
10c/mb isn't too bad- cheaper than those Vodafone and Optus cards I think.

I just sent an email to IT service desk- hopefully they can book me in ASAP. How long does the VPN Client installation take anyway? Can anyone give me some details on it? I already have the Cisco VPN Client installed.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
*shrugs* I rang them and they told me using the Cisco VPN will be fine. No bookings available until Thurs for install though.

Btw, is WebCT Vista free to access?

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
If you already have the client then stuff going in, I'll just give you the details here.

Connection Entry: Uniwide
Description: Uniwide
Host: vpn.wireless.unsw.edu.au

Authentication
Group Authentication

And you're done. I heard they're going to mac address though I don't know when that'll happen. In any case till then, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks. The tech support ppl said they couldn't tell me the password and he's like "I wouldn't be able to tell you that". Lo and behold, someone emailed me (from tech support) the connection details with the login/password anyway.

Now, does anyone here have a solution for my problem?
I can't connect to Uniwide AND my other VPN at the same time using the Cisco VPN Client. My other VPN must use the Cisco client, so I need to find another program to connect to the Uniwide VPN. Any solutions? I tried OpenVPN but couldn't figure out how to configure all my settings to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Wait does this mean that all I need to do is install CISCO VPN software and enter those settings for it to work without having to go fill in that form?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
kewl
nah I want to connect using my PDA
So all I need is VPN software :)
Becuase they don't support PDAs!!!

implicity

HSC
menty said:
Also can we use ANY VPN software or does it have to be the cisco one
I'm guessing it can be any.. well I'm hoping so anyway. Anyone wanna give me the Cisco VPN client? :):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)