• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

With the driving test, what is clutch coasting and freewheeling? (1 Viewer)

phishtaco

HSC
I failed my P's today because of "clutch coasting and freewheeling" according to the instructor. She said that if I didn't do that I would have a near perfect score. Anyway, I asked her about it but she didn't give me a clear answer.

What is it? I can't seem to find any information on it.

When I slow down coming up to a roundabout or corner or whatever, I put my feet on both the clutch and brake and just change down gears without removing my foot from the clutch. Is that wrong? A few people have told me it is, while others have said it is correct. If it is wrong, am I supposed to keep one foot on the brake and as I'm changing down gears ( 4th to 3rd to 2nd then 1st) do I take my foot off the clutch for each gear? I tried doing that after the test today as I was driving home but whenever I remove my foot from the clutch after changing down a gear, the car always jerks a bit. Is that because I haven't slowed down enough?

Anyway, I hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

johnyG

HSC
If you don't know then you shouldn't be driving! Go get some more lessons.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Okay, so lets imagine you're approaching a roundabout in 4th gear at 60km/h, and you're indicating to turn right through that roundabout.

Complete all your braking to the speed at which you wish to turn before entering the roundabout without changing gears or touching the clutch pedal. Once you've slowed as much as you need to make the turn/give way to entering traffic, change to the right gear to proceed through the roundabout- this would typically be second gear.

Always complete all your braking before entering the turn, doing all your braking while remaining in gear, when braking is completed you may then select the appropriate gear that will allow you to move smoothly through the corner.

You should only ever make a single gear change before entering a corner. Don't go down through the gears in sequence, just drop straight from 4th to 2nd. You never need to change gears more than once before entering a corner.

Never change into first gear unless the car is completely stationary.

phishtaco

HSC
Thanks for taking me seriously.

So what you're saying is, when I'm approaching the roundabout I should just use the brake, and when I've finished slowing down and almost near the actual roundabout I change gears? Straight from 4th to 2nd? And if there's a car coming from the right and I stop to let it pass, I go from 4th to 1st instead?

jazzzod

HSC
Thanks for taking me seriously.

So what you're saying is, when I'm approaching the roundabout I should just use the brake, and when I've finished slowing down and almost near the actual roundabout I change gears? Straight from 4th to 2nd? And if there's a car coming from the right and I stop to let it pass, I go from 4th to 1st instead?
Don't do that. My instructor told me to change down each separately.

phishtaco

HSC
So you mean instead of doing that, I change from 4th to 3rd, take my foot off the clutch, then change to 2nd, take my foot off again etc.?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
You should only ever make a single gear change before entering a corner. Don't go down through the gears in sequence, just drop straight from 4th to 2nd. You never need to change gears more than once before entering a corner.
What you should do but not what you would do in a driving test. Go down sequentially in the test I was told.

phishtaco

HSC
Oh okay. That's how I originally learnt how to change gears but then an instructor told me otherwise so I stopped doing it. When you go down gears one by one, how do you stop it from jerking when you take your foot off the clutch? Do I need to go a bit slower before I change down or am I doing it too fast?

Shane_

HSC
clutch coasting iz like where you let da clutch coast by itz self, freewheeling iz where you let da wheel free..like der bra, da wheel iz free

HSC
both are fine

you can go down gears sequentially, you wont lose marks for it

you can just use the brakes and change into the appropriate gear at the speed you will take the corner at, you wont lose marks

you just cant coast along with the clutch in, always have the car in gear

phishtaco

HSC
I had a driving lesson the other day and the instructor said that the proper way to change down gears is to brake, then change down a gear and then accelerate slowly. Also when coming up to a roundabout or corner to use the MISS technique. I think it stands for Mirrors Indicator Shoulder System or something..

Anyway, apart from that, he told me I was doing everything else correctly. I'll be going for another few lessons before my test in a couple weeks just to be safe.

Thank you to all those who replied and helped me. I appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)