Wollongong Med? (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I've heard Wollongong Uni is planning on opening a Med Faculty within the next 5 years, with a specific aim of teaching Rural Medicine - doing the same as say Sydney post grad, but with more emphisis on the skills you need to practice in a rural area. This true? anyone know when it will open?

Cheers

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
umm its accreditation is expected by earliest at 2007..
considering that syd is apparently using newcastles course but modified it to fit grad entry... newcastles is quite rural focussed.. so i think it would be tru..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Schools proposed for accreditation in 2007 are Wollongong, UWS and UNDA Sydney (Notre Dame).

Edit: all of them will be graduate entry

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Western Sydney is offering Grad Medicine too?? You wouldn't have any links about either UWS or Wollongong would you?

Cheers

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Western Sydney is offering Grad Medicine too?? You wouldn't have any links about either UWS or Wollongong would you?

Cheers
construction at UOW has already started.

UWA is also opening a campus for med in sydney

inasero

Reborn
HSC
really? what I know for sure is that the University of Notre Dame is opening a faculty in Sydney for Graduate Med. Are you sure you didn't get those two confused?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to see his search results first. UNDA (the University of Notre Dame, Australia) is a private Catholic university based in Fremantle, but with a satellite campus in Broome (perhaps others, I don't know). It has undertaken to establish another satellite campus on Broadway, diagonally across from the UTS main campus. One of the courses to be offered at this campus will be Medicine, with accrediation not expected before 2007 (due to the current lack of, you know, a campus and all that). :)

When I read about it I personally contacted the university and asked for some more information, but to my surprise I was told the (sparklingly new) faculty of Medicine only know as much as was featured in the papers - this is because the announcement was simply the reaching of an agreement between the university and Cardinal Pell, archbishop of Sydney. So it's really just plans at present, with the actual realisation several years away.

tech.knockout

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Schools proposed for accreditation in 2007 are Wollongong, UWS and UNDA Sydney (Notre Dame).

Edit: all of them will be graduate entry

Wrong, looks like UWS would likely be an undergraduate course with a few places for graduate. This is a major setback for me, Ive been thinking of going to UWS after doing my degree. The competition would be too great as I would be competing with alot of talented people who would otherwise choose UNSW but prefer UWS + UNSW rejects + graduate people.

Looks like ill be applying for wollongong if I dont get into newcastle.

http://apps.uws.edu.au/media/news/index.phtml?act=view&story_id=1074

Professor Yeomans says it is proposed that the new Medical School will offer a five-year degree. Most of the new places will be for undergraduate applicants but some graduate positions will also be available.

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Yes that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to see his search results first. UNDA (the University of Notre Dame, Australia) is a private Catholic university based in Fremantle, but with a satellite campus in Broome (perhaps others, I don't know). It has undertaken to establish another satellite campus on Broadway, diagonally across from the UTS main campus. One of the courses to be offered at this campus will be Medicine, with accrediation not expected before 2007 (due to the current lack of, you know, a campus and all that). :)

When I read about it I personally contacted the university and asked for some more information, but to my surprise I was told the (sparklingly new) faculty of Medicine only know as much as was featured in the papers - this is because the announcement was simply the reaching of an agreement between the university and Cardinal Pell, archbishop of Sydney. So it's really just plans at present, with the actual realisation several years away.
i couldn't find any thing, i guess i read the news report wrong.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
tech.knockout said:
Wrong, looks like UWS would likely be an undergraduate course with a few places for graduate. This is a major setback for me, Ive been thinking of going to UWS after doing my degree. The competition would be too great as I would be competing with alot of talented people who would otherwise choose UNSW but prefer UWS + UNSW rejects + graduate people.

Looks like ill be applying for wollongong if I dont get into newcastle.

http://apps.uws.edu.au/media/news/index.phtml?act=view&story_id=1074
trust me on this
newcastle is the most competitive out of them all

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Bob.J said:
trust me on this
yer frggin newcastle.. :(.. i wanted to go there.. *sigh*

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Bob.J said:
hehhe point
you could always try to transfer :)
actualli i love the med course there..
but the city gives me the shits.. lolz

adel has the same course as newc.. so im not too worried.. and its further from my parents ;)

tech.knockout

HSC
Bob.J said:
trust me on this
proof? I would think much fewer people would apply for newcastle than UNSW because of UNCLEs location. Not many people would want to move out and Newcastle Area population is much smaller than Sydney metropolitan.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
honestly, hav u applied to med yet?
newcastle has few places about 33% of UNSW capacity.. but ppl in NSW yr 12 can only apply to 2.. UNSW and NEWcastle.. pretti much every prospective medical student applies to monash, Melb ,UNSW and newcastle if ure from NSW.. (actualli heaps from other states too.. cos they all thought it was a hole :p)

Lots lik the appeal that Newcastle has wats deemed as a comprehensive PBL course similar to Manchester Uni. in UK and most US medical schools. Newcastle attracts more grad/older students cos its a shorter course and alot of ppl with degrees are there when u start.. so lik ull still be behind ppl in ure tut group when u first start. UNSW is mainly yr 12 leavers and PBL-like course is in its first yr...

its cut off for UMAT is higher in my experience.. lik i had 13 friends apply and only 4 got newcastle interviews but 10 got UNSWs ones ..

umm lik in terms of applying UNSW is higher.. but in terms of competitive Newcastle can be crazy..

note:UMAT is now lik a prime indicator if u can cut med..
UAI doesnt even register in most cases it takes 1 yr.. but counts bout 33% and only in Melb can it guarantee a spot.

Last edited:

tech.knockout

HSC
I havent applied.
I guess when UWS opens then it would be somewhat easier for me to get into newcastle.

I guess you got rejected from newcastle? What activities/responsibilities that you undertaken, did you mention in your interviews?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer i got turned down.. oh well :p but got 2 other med schools

im a senior first aider for 2 yrs with Coles-Myers and 1 yr at a fast food place
i was a volunteer at a nursing home and a charity
i did work experience at an orthodontist, pharmacy, A&H ward..
i worked as a crew trainer at a fast food restaurant ..

they asked for everything.. i gave them everything :)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
tech.knockout said:
proof? I would think much fewer people would apply for newcastle than UNSW because of UNCLEs location. Not many people would want to move out and Newcastle Area population is much smaller than Sydney metropolitan.
oh you haven't seen the stats yet
in think about 2000-3000 applied to UNSW (forget but i think it was closer to 3000)
This is for like 180-190 places at unsw

2132 applied to UNCLE last year for 80 places (including BMP MRBS)

as for people not wanting to move out. That's another story. I would say most people would be willing to go boarding anywhere in Oz.

oh and as point said UNSW umat cut-offs are a helluva lot lower than UNCLE's cutoff. For newcastle i say it's impressive enough to get the interview

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)