Words per minute (1 Viewer)

cjporter97

HSC
Hi everyone, one of my biggest fears for my HSC this year is not my fear of not knowing things but rather being able to get them down on paper on time. This is especially the case for drama and English, possibly chem.

It made me wonder what should my aim be for the amount of words I can write per minute. What would be the ideal speed?

How fast can you go?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
1400 in 40-45 minutes for an essay, usually. Dunno about per minute. Put a battery on your pen, works wonders.

CaptainPrice

HSC
24 wpm, about 1200 words every 50mins -__-
Really need to work on my speed.
I guess ideal speed would be around 27-28wpm as most people have their essays around 1100 words, and aim to finish writing in 40mins.

cjporter97

HSC
I understand. I'm aiming for thousand words in 40 minutes which is 25 words per minute.

HSC
first try 1k in 4o then keep practicing more and more so you will get better and you will surely reach the aimof 1.2 k

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Focus on answering the question, sometimes it is not the more you write, the better marks you get, writing too much can put you at risk of not answering the question and losing marks instead, it is really hard to tell you the ideal word count since it depends on the question, the quality of your writing as well as the specific nature of the assessment tasks, practice writing concisely and succinctly. What is your current writing speed?

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
so the big question is
does the battery pen actually work lol, i asked my friend if i should try it and he reckons that i'll screw up my writing when the exam comes. Thoughts?

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
1400 in 40-45 minutes for an essay, usually. Dunno about per minute. Put a battery on your pen, works wonders.
I've heard of this idea, I may try it next time. Also, using a pen that is comfortable to write with, smooth and long lasting is optimum for writing extended responses.

Focus on answering the question, sometimes it is not the more you write, the better marks you get, writing too much can put you at risk of not answering the question and losing marks instead, it is really hard to tell you the ideal word count since it depends on the question, the quality of your writing as well as the specific nature of the assessment tasks, practice writing concisely and succinctly. What is your current writing speed?
I agree with this point. Sometimes is QUALITY NOT QUANTITY. I know it is hard sometimes as we have so many thoughts going on and we start to babble on. A good way I use to de-construct the question include:
- Underlining Key Words
- I look at the verb - What is it? What does it mean?
Making up acronyms for extended response questions is also handy...
Such as;
D - DEFINE
E - EXPLAIN
A - ANALYSE
L - LINK
I use this all the time for Community and Family Studies.

OR

S - STATEMENT/TOPIC SENTENCE
T - TECHNIQUE/QUOTE
E - EXPLAIN
A - ANALYSE
L - LINK
A lifesaver for English!

Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
so the big question is
does the battery pen actually work lol, i asked my friend if i should try it and he reckons that i'll screw up my writing when the exam comes. Thoughts?
Normal battery pen isnt effective, unless you utilise the ON speciality: 'Triple battery pen'

cjporter97

HSC
I've never even heard of this battery pen idea. I might give it a go.

enoilgam

HSC
1,000 words in 40 minutes is usually what's recommended for HSC essays - that works out to 25 words per minute.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
so the big question is
Yeah does work lol. Proof: in year 9-10 I could write like 4 pages in 40 minutes. Then I used the battery, now I can write 6-7 A4 pages.

cjporter97

HSC
Yeah does work lol. Proof: in year 9-10 I could write like 4 pages in 40 minutes. Then I used the battery, now I can write 6-7 A4 pages.
Did you still use it to get that speed? Or had you just trained up your hand?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Did you still use it to get that speed? Or had you just trained up your hand?
Wait what do you mean? I used the battery occasionally afterwards, but my hand was used to writing like a machine anyway hahahah. But don't use it all the time as your hand may get sore since there's so much writing in senior years.

JohnOldman

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, one of my biggest fears for my HSC this year is not my fear of not knowing things but rather being able to get them down on paper on time. This is especially the case for drama and English, possibly chem.

It made me wonder what should my aim be for the amount of words I can write per minute. What would be the ideal speed?

How fast can you go?
24 wpm. I believe that the main point is to practice. The same goes for typing. So practice http://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)