Work Availabilities during Year 12 (1 Viewer)

HSC
I wasn't sure whether this would be more appropriate in the HSC or Employment section, but I am sure that here will suffice.

After talking briefly with my department manager regarding my work availabilities, it has occurred to me that I will soon be in Year 12 and maybe should be focussing more on schoolwork, study etc.

I was just wondering what types of hours other people have worked during Year 12, and if they feel that was suitable. I'm just trying to get an idea of what hours I should ideally be working, so input from other people will be very much appreciated.

spence

HSC
Most of the year I was working every sunday and about every 2nd saturday and sometimes during the week. I don't recommend that tough, I did hardly any study

HSC
with the hsc, it is important that you really cut your hours of work, when i entered year 12, i worked only on fridays, then let myself rest on the sat, and then be able to do hw on the sat and sun

However, it's best people do drop work altogether if they want to seriously focus on the hsc. Now, i regret that i didnt pay attention in the first few months of year 12 as those test marks have come back to haunt me, and regaining those marks for my subjects has been really really hard

HSC
I wasn't considering quitting my job at all, I know that I'll be able to concentrate on study with work, but I definately think that I should cut down my hours.

At the moment, I work thursday nights and all day saturdays. I think that that combination isn't helpful. Preferably, I think only working Saturdays would be better, but even then I'm not sure if I could work all day, especially towards the end of the year.

Although, I've never attempted to juggle TEE/HSC/VCE etc, so maybe it'll just have to be a case of wait and see how I feel.

1harkina

HSC
well i worked between 19 - 25 hours during the hsc and if you manage to have good time manage ment skills there should be no reason that u fall behind on your schholwork
most of my friends worked this much aswel

bento

HSC
You need to think about it in the long run. Yes working during the hsc gives you money and thats a bonus, but if you complete the hsc without disruptions from working then you'll get better results and in the long run you'll be able to get a better job with more money. Do you plan to stay where youre working now and rise in the ranks? Is that even possible? If you're only working part time anyway then I recommend you stop working to focus on your hsc. I didn't work at all and it was still difficult to make deadlines with work. I have friends who sacrificed the hsc to work during the week and/or on weekends and they have poorer ranks and results to show for it. If you're planning to do uni/tafe then you need to especially focus on school. The HSC isn't easy and having good time management skills is very important but a lot of people who juggle work and school don't have these skills because they simply can't find the time. I didn't work during my hsc obviously but I can tell you that I had to use every night to work on assessments especially on the weekend.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
The HSC isn't easy and having good time management skills is very important but a lot of people who juggle work and school don't have these skills because they simply can't find the time.
Uh bullshit. When you have more things to do you manage your time much better because there is less of it.

I worked through Year 12 and even during the HSC and work was a godsend. It was a few hours when I didn't have to think about the HSC and just relax my brain a little bit. I did fine. Also if you think that uni is going to be easier than the HSC you've got another thing coming and you're going to need to work through uni as well.

If you feel like you're getting overwhelmed cut down your shifts, otherwise you don't need to completely halt everything in your life to do the HSC.

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
I worked 20+ hours during Year 11 and 12 .. It didn't affect me that much but it can get to you if you work late at night or really long shifts .. you kinda have to find the happy medium that works for you!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I worked 9 hours each saturday and sunday most of year 12, most Friday nights and some thursdays.

I didn't cut back till a few weeks before the HSC. Just cut back on tv. You have 5 days a week when you're not at work, are you already using that time as effectively as you can? If not, there's no need to cut back on work yet. You can always negotiate less hours later if you do feel overwhelmed.
Watch "the pursuit of happyness" for motivation.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i didn't work during my hsc, but that was more a parental influence than anything else. i would have worked if i'd had the choice. i think the hours you work will depend on the subjects you're doing, the marks you're aiming for and the amount of work your school makes you do - obviously everyone has to do the same minimum amount of work according to what the syllabus says, but some schools really pile on the extra study tasks (thankfully not mine). that said, if you apply yourself and manage your time well you can study a lot, work 20 hours a week and have a social life and get the marks you want. you have to strike a balance. some people worry about "wasting" valuable study time by working, but come on, really, how much study were you going to do? not many people actually follow through with their decision to spend 9hrs on Saturday studying. you might as well work during the day and do your far more realistic 4 hours of study when you get home from work.
when you get closer to exams you might want to cut down or take a few weeks off. discuss it with your boss, most of the time he or she should understand.

HSC
thursday nights and all day saturdays aren't too bad. you have plenty of time to fit schoolwork around that. if it gets too much ask for a couple of weeks off when exams come around.

HSC
watatank said:
thursday nights and all day saturdays aren't too bad. you have plenty of time to fit schoolwork around that. if it gets too much ask for a couple of weeks off when exams come around.
This is what I think that I should do. I have an extremely understanding dept manager, who is only 20 and finished Year 12 about three years ago. He has since said to me that if I want any time off at all for school, or want to change my roster to accomodate study, all I need to do is tell him.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
I think there was a week during my final exams where I pulled 30 hours.

I'm still here =)

I think it's a matter of 'as much as you think you can handle' rather than everyone else giving you their feelings to use. If you like pressure, add more...if you can't handle it, throttle back.

Nic-zilla

HSC
Hey i did my Hsc is 2006 and i had a casual job from Mid Feb while i just started Year 11.. In Year 12 i only was allowed by my parents to do Friday afternoon 4-7 ( then i would not study at night lol) and saturday afternoons from 1-6 allowing me to study before hand and i still went out on sat nights leaving me all sunday to study hehe.. but in the hsc i still worked even with exams on tuesdays lol.. i would work fri afternoon but work sat mornings allowing me to study after..

But i tell u.. u need a balance of study and work which helps u keep ur mind of the stress of the work amount and still have fun.. it doesnt matter.. you just need to put the effort in.. i mean i had an Uni exam last sem and i worked nearly every day and i got high credits for it but i still put in the effort to study after work .. study is just cruelity i say:mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)