Work experience / internships (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Are there opportunities for undergraduates to undertake some sort of work experience during the summer break? I'm aware of summer internships, but it seems like they're only searching for students in their penultimate year. Is there any way that a student in 1st or 2nd year could apply for one of those positions. Coz I turned down a co-op in favour of another scholarship, but I'd still like to undertake some kind of industrial training if I could in the near future.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
the only one i know of is CA Achieverhttp://www.flyhigher.com/Home/Content1.aspx?PageID=CAAchiever (which, incidentally, i didn't get in). two frds of mine got in and they're both happily employed by their employers (EY and Deloitte) for their summer break in second year as well.

but i guess there's not a lot of point in a straight commerce/business degree. one's penultimate year is year 2, so there's not a lot of waiting. it's just not very good for combined students :(

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Frigid said:
the only one i know of is CA Achieverhttp://www.flyhigher.com/Home/Content1.aspx?PageID=CAAchiever (which, incidentally, i didn't get in). two frds of mine got in and they're both happily employed by their employers (EY and Deloitte) for their summer break in second year as well.

but i guess there's not a lot of point in a straight commerce/business degree. one's penultimate year is year 2, so there's not a lot of waiting. it's just not very good for combined students :(
Are you and your friends combined students?

Would you need to be undertaking a major in Accounting to apply for the CA Achiever? Or do you think you could sneak in with a different major?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
first year commerce/business does not have a major.

yes, my friends and i are all com/law.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Frigid said:
first year commerce/business does not have a major.

yes, my friends and i are all com/law.
Being in 2nd year, you would've chosen your major already though wouldn't you? From your profile I'm guessing you're doing a Fins major. Were the friends of yours who got into the CA Achiever program Acct majors or Fins majors, or something else?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Being in 2nd year, you would've chosen your major already though wouldn't you? From your profile I'm guessing you're doing a Fins major. Were the friends of yours who got into the CA Achiever program Acct majors or Fins majors, or something else?
but in first year you do not have a major :p

actually, because i'm a transferee, i am yet to do begin any commerce major (the courses i have put in my profile are for 2006), but you are right, i will be doing finance.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Frigid said:
but in first year you do not have a major :p

actually, because i'm a transferee, i am yet to do begin any commerce major (the courses i have put in my profile are for 2006), but you are right, i will be doing finance.
Oh, I was guessing your friends were going into 3rd year in '06...coz you were HSC '03. Anyway, nvm :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's what happens when you think too much there Rench^^

Is the only way to get vacation work through the CA Achiever program? Hmm... if you're lucky you might happen to know someone who's a partner in a firm and you could ask them for work experience... or you could just ring up randomly and volunteer to work for free. A foot in the door is a foot in the door.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Yes, it's possible. I'm doing a summer internship at Credit Suisse First Boston now and I just finished 2nd yr. Also, I was in the final round for Risk Management in Macquarie Bank. All in all, being a non-penultimate yr student is no barrier towards getting an internship.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
§eraphim said:
Yes, it's possible. I'm doing a summer internship at Credit Suisse First Boston now and I just finished 2nd yr. Also, I was in the final round for Risk Management in Macquarie Bank. All in all, being a non-penultimate yr student is no barrier towards getting an internship.
Where do you find out about all of these internships? I did a Google search and it didn't really come up with much. Btw. with these internships, is it virtually 9-5, 5 days a week throughout summer?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Where do you find out about all of these internships? I did a Google search and it didn't really come up with much. Btw. with these internships, is it virtually 9-5, 5 days a week throughout summer?
Well, my friend told me about the position (I applied online). But except for CA Achiever, internship programs take 2nd yrs and above (You don't know enough from 1st yr) so it's a bit early for you to worry about vacation work.

Yes, I work full-time right until the very end of my uni holidays =( *sigh*

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
natstar said:
My university runs a summer internship program for students. Also during the year students can apply for internships, where they take on part time study at the same time. They usually run for about 8 weeks and you get around $4k.
I did an internship during my 2nd semester in 1st year at a PR company, though not through the uni. It was only 2 days a week, and I studied full time.
If only UNSW offered that :rolleyes: but I guess that's what makes getting the co-op so much more difficult.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
FYI, UoW offers something similar to what's offered at UWS.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
~ ReNcH ~ said:
If you're interested in CA Achiever you can look at www.flyhigher.com.au for info.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
natstar said:
I think all uni's should run a program like that. They provide a great opportunity for students to gain work experience in their chosen area, which can potentially lead to full time work/graduate positions
Yea, I agree. But at least there's still the opportunity for internships. Nevertheless, it'd be good if there some uni-sponsored/organised work placements available.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)