• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Work experience / internships (1 Viewer)

ND

HSC
You will use absolutely no math in a finance degree (at least at mac). I've done 3rd year units, and there's still no calculus in it, it's a joke.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I wish I could do Science as well, but I'd probably opt for Psych instead of Maths.

Btw. do the BCom (Fins) and BSci (Maths) overlap in a lot of places, or do they tend to focus on different areas?
Depends on your choice of subjects. Even subjects in Pure Maths (eg. mathematical physics) have an application to Finance if you know where to look.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
ND said:
You will use absolutely no math in a finance degree (at least at mac). I've done 3rd year units, and there's still no calculus in it, it's a joke.
Not even in options?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
ND said:
QMA in 1st Year Com @ UNSW has integration and that sort of stuff doesn't it?...can anyone verify this?

Seraphim: is there a fair amount of maths in a Finance major? I remember someone saying that out of Acct and Fins, one just involved memorising a lot of content and the other one required a fair ability in maths - but I can't remember which one was which...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Obviously, it's finance. "Fair ability in maths" - it's all a matter of perspective. If you are an accounting/finance student, then you would find it has too much maths. For an actuarial or finance/maths student, it's not as hard.

Again, it depends on your choice of subjects. Finance spans traditional underwriting and quant finance (among other things) so I'm not going to generalise by saying that every finance subject is mathematical.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
§eraphim said:
Obviously, it's finance. "Fair ability in maths" - it's all a matter of perspective. If you are an accounting/finance student, then you would find it has too much maths. For an actuarial or finance/maths student, it's not as hard.

Again, it depends on your choice of subjects. Finance spans traditional underwriting and quant finance (among other things) so I'm not going to generalise by saying that every finance subject is mathematical.
Hehe. Ok, cool. It'd better not be like that boring stuff from 2U...superannuation, life insurance etc. grr. :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
lol never say anything is boring (esp at uni level). super and life is challenging too..just ask the actuaries! :p

ND

HSC
§eraphim said:
Not even in options?
We've used a little bit of black-scholes, which is derived with calculus, but we didn't cover the derivation.

The finance subjects in my actuarial degree are (obviously) mathematically rigorous though.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
ND said:
We've used a little bit of black-scholes, which is derived with calculus, but we didn't cover the derivation.
Don't you need fair bit of math knowledge to be able to understand the derivation?

But finance math is just basic stats and geometric series.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Yeh traders don't really use any math in their work. Alot of their money is made through contacts, and the rest is made through their knowledge about the market.

klh

HSC
why dont you go to those seek graduate site and apply, they usually show many ads. or um gradlink?
usually there are careers expos and careers websites that your uni has which asks for students for graduate positions and sometimes internships?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)