Work load for Ext. History (1 Viewer)

Lai

c a r p e . d i e m
HSC
Hey, just wanted to know how big the work load is for extension history. How many assignments or essays are there each term?

doobee

HSC
Its not too bad. There aren't heaps of assignments but the major assignment is worth 80%. It also depends on how many units you do all up (I do 13 so I have a lot of work to keep up with) but if you really love history its ok.
You don't look so much as what happened in history (like you might study WWI in modern) but different historical perspectives on events.
If you manage your time well its quite simple.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
well for me it was small, we never got given essays to do, and the only homework we got was reading.......so it was only the major project....which i only started a few days before it was due, so i guess it depends on your teacher, maybe having a small class of 3 had something to do with it.......

NBAD

HSC
Our major project was worth 90% and our half yearlies and trails are 5% each.

In all honestly you'll have to read and recall several books, no time for bludging.

lowek

HSC
too put it bluntly...
I have more work for history extension then I have for modern and ancient put together which strikes me as amusing for a one unit subject. It really is a great subject though and to type a cliche which I'm sure all teachers harp on about .. you really won't think the same again.

culpritinperil

HSC
If anyone is interested in the course I'd say give it a go. Afterall, you can drop it you don't like it.
The work load isn't too much - but getting your head around the topic might take a few lessons. Homework involves a few practice essays in my case + the 2500word major work (not as easy as it seems!- worth 80%) + 5% half-yearly + 15% for trials (which is 2 essays written in 2 hours).
I find Ancient History has more work:confused:, but otherwise I agree with what lowek said. Enjoyable subject where you get to learn bits and pieces of info.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The workload's not really that high, in my experience: if you don't count the major project, once you understand the ideas of postmodernist history there's really nothing to it. For the exams, there isn't really that much you have to know, as long as you have your own opinions on things.

nwatts

HSC
i have confidence that every single histx marker has no idea of what they're marking, so harp on about what you think postmodernism is for the exam and you're sure to get good results.

it's more reading than anything else.

HSC
The workload depends on your natural ability at history and your enojoyment of the subject. If you really like it and you're good at history then you'll have less work to do because it will be easier for you to understand things.

Oh and NBAD im coming near the top of my class at a selective school and i certainly havent read and had to recall several books...

Bubblewrap

HSC
nwatts said:
i have confidence that every single histx marker has no idea of what they're marking, so harp on about what you think postmodernism is for the exam and you're sure to get good results.

it's more reading than anything else.
I couldn't agree more my history extension teacher is absolutely hopeless and I swear she does not understand half of what most of the people in my class write. A LOT of reading though

ZAvenger

HSC
Bubblewrap said:
I couldn't agree more my history extension teacher is absolutely hopeless and I swear she does not understand half of what most of the people in my class write. A LOT of reading though
I really just depends on your teacher. Our teacher started off clueless but after 3 yeas he is really good now. The class discussions we have are heaps good. But as for workload, the project does take quite a bit of time.

~*Bubbles*~

HSC
it depends on the kind of person you are, and how abstract the historiography u r doing is (post-modernists...dont get me started ;D) its not the work load thats big, but rather the amount of work u do is dens, and compacted into a small amount of time i recon

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Alot of reading in regards to historiography and then your case study.
Must remember ALOT.
The essays are fairly easy once you realise what you have to write.

I love the subject, it is so interesting.

Lai

c a r p e . d i e m
HSC
I like history and I love reading which is cool with me, i'm just threating about the work load and the assignments. I'm doing 12 units for year 12 so i'm trying to get an idea how much work i'll be doing :D Thanks for all your replies!

Megan5

HSC
I think it really depends on your teacher as well.
For me, usual homework is an essay. However we only have class once a week, so we generally have an entire week to do the essay. Its true there arnt many assessments, however they do require large amounts of research and prep.
In all - it is a course that should definitely be considered.

Soda_Can

HSC
um, as for workload, its dependent on how much you understand the topics given. its a really open subject to learn about - engaging stuff about history etc.

and i'm just querying this 80% major work mark.

my understanding isthat it forms 80% of your assessment mark. the other 50% comes from your actual exam, hence its acutally a 40% Major Work / 60% Exams balance. but pray correct me if im wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)