work stories (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
doe said:
my very first job (ignoring the paper route when i was 10) was as a pizza hut kitchenhand. i was 14 and 9 months years old. on my first night, i was working a machine that said "you must be over 16 to operate this machine". i asked them about it and they were "ah dont worry about it!" it was a crazy place full of crazy arabs. there were a lot of PLO supporters there, they all had bomber jackets with the PLO logo and there name embroidered on the front with "peace in the middle east" on the back. one of the drivers used a stolen car to make his delivieries one night, the cops rocked up and everything, haha! crazy guys but awesome fun.

it was the pizza takeaway at thornleigh, on the pacific highway (i think).
ROFFLE....

X

xeuyrawp

gobaby said:
heres my workers story:

my friends friend worked at kfc. she was in the back, in the kitchen handling the burgers. the floor was wet and slippery. she slipped and tried to stick her hand out to grab anything to stop her from falling. she stuck her whole hand into the deep fryer.

shes on workers compensation now
Jesus. How bad was the damage? I mean, a deep-fryer is hotter than boiling point, that's one of the reasons why they use oil.

In any case (responding to Sacha's "she deserved it" post): she's on worker's comp for a reason, if she deserved it out of her stupidity, she wouldn't have gotten a cent. There was probably oil on the ground, and that means that there has to be 1. someone designated to constantly clean it up, 2. wooden lattice, or 3. a rubber mat. If she slipped in a kitchen, it would have been oil or someone used the wrong shit to mop up with- hence workers comp. You or I could have easily done the same thing.... It's still funny though. Imagine the look on the customers faces when this girl runs out to the front with a Secret-Sauce Crispy hand.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:
It's still funny though. Imagine the look on the customers faces when this girl runs out to the front with a Secret-Sauce Crispy hand.
um no that's not funny

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
um no that's not funny
Yes it is. I think you'll find most people agree that noone can extend any honest sympathy for tragic stories on the internet.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
^That, and the fact that I dont believe a bar of it.
How could the safety be that bad? As if you would stick your hand in a big pot that you know contains the stuff when slipping.
The story is chicken feet

X

xeuyrawp

Iron woman said:
^That, and the fact that I dont believe a bar of it.
How could the safety be that bad? As if you would stick your hand in a big pot that you know contains the stuff when slipping.
The story is chicken feet
It's possible, IMO. A guy I worked with when I was washing up dishes once slipped on a wet floor and put his hand out on one of those magnetic knife racks. His hand wasn't too bad, it only sliced a bit of his palm, though. It's just a bad reflex to put your hand out when you fall. Those of us who have played a bit of contact sport will have generally gotten rid of that reflex- especially rugby players who hold onto the ball as they fall.

Edit: Thanks IronWoman for not flaming me- I was momentarily worried that I was sadistic.... Then I realised I am. I think whether you'd fall and put your hand in something dangerous depends on how fast/uncontrolled/suprised you are, but you'd think working around such a dangerous thing would teach you- the guy at the cafe I worked at didn't really belong where he was, so maybe that's why he got hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
of course you would, you don't think "i'm slipping, i need to hold onto something, wait, that has oil in it"

you automatically put your hand out to stop yourself, you don't think

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
of course you would, you don't think "i'm slipping, i need to hold onto something, wait, that has oil in it"

you automatically put your hand out to stop yourself, you don't think
hmm, yes that's what I said, although working around dangerous things tends to give you an almost subconsious awareness to it. I only know this because 3 of my 4 direct bosses are females:D

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
^That, and I cant imagine mysterious, boiling fat being at waist height and totally uncovered.
Someone has cleary made this up for the finger licking gag.

X

xeuyrawp

Iron woman said:
^That, and I cant imagine mysterious, boiling fat being at waist height and totally uncovered.
Someone has cleary made this up for the finger licking gag.
In all fairness, all the deepfriers in Fast Food stores that I've seen have been at waist height and totally uncovered. I still want to know what kind of damage was done (if it happened)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Iron woman said:

you have clearly never worked at a fast food place, that is exactly how those deep fryers/vats are.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Argonaut said:
I had this guy come in yesterday and ask me if I could please remove the blue lightbulb in the guy's toilets and stick a clear one in so he could use them.
Hahah, stupid junkies.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Argonaut said:
I had this guy come in yesterday and ask me if I could please remove the blue lightbulb in the guy's toilets and stick a clear one in so he could use them.
you mentioned it in another thread, why blue?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I heard of a similar story on the news a few years ago except the guy died I think after falling in to a large commercial deep fryer.... terrible. Actually I think it was at KFC as well. I think he had climbed up to reach something on a ladder or something and then fell on to the fryers.

Fryers are SOOOO dangerous. Have you ever worked with people who just drop the baskets down if the stuff has a little ice on it it can make the oil bubble up and spit everywhere.... they are really dangerous.

Haha once we were in Cowra and they had just opened the maccas there, and everyone working there seemed to have some kind of bandage or injury... probably deep fryer burns. And then this girl with her arm in a cast walked in and was talking to the manager behind the counter.... crazy... then when the girl was getting our chips she bumped her arm on the bain marie lamp somehow and went "ouch"..... I don't know how they don't end up with more serious burns than they do, especially at maccas stores where the manager is only 17 and everyone else is 14 or 15 lol.

I hate it when you go to stores and there are small children running around in the kitchen near the fryers and ovens... it is so dangerous.

Edit....Found this: http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/00/0c028600.asp

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
all i can say is OUCH....they ought to make deep fryers safer, the only question is how. maybe if they at least partially covered the top of it?

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
If some customer writes something nice about you at BIGW, you get a voucher (I think it was $100 last time i checked) I'm always trying to get a freind to put one in, but they always forget and the customers who actually think im nice and welcoming (pffft....) never write anything !!!

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
_Bushra_ said:
If some customer writes something nice about you at BIGW, you get a voucher (I think it was $100 last time i checked) I'm always trying to get a freind to put one in, but they always forget and the customers who actually think im nice and welcoming (pffft....) never write anything !!!
awesome
i applied for a job at big w and i have an interview soon
if i get it i will make sure my friends write about me
yay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)