Working at Oporto's: What's it like? (1 Viewer)

Mushy18

HSC
hi. i just wanna know what the pros and cons are of working at Oporto's compared to other fast food chains. Feel free to share your experiences....

hatty

Banned
i got paid around $10p/h, its just like any other fast food job, no extra special surprises, take their orders, bag their food, take someone elses order. nothing great.

elisabeth

HSC
I work at Oporto, where is the one you're considering? Can't compare it to any other fast food places, because I've never worked at another... some thoughts:

I'm 16 and get $8.62/hr, so basically award wages. The training is laughable - there's really not much you need to know. I started off not knowing the menu or anything because I never eat there, and you pick that up in a shift. The uniform is a bit crap, especially since nobody's given me a decent fitting shirt. The customers can be real idiots - you always have to clarify whether they want their food with or without chilli, because so many don't read the bloody menu. Shifts-wise, I used to get a lot of hours but now it's unfortunately not much - but then again, I said I'm only available Fri-Sun. Sunday is time and a half, btw. The managers at my place are mostly nice. The one thing I hate is when you do close and you're stuck out back washing up. But I've only done that a few times.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask...

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
do you guys use the masterfood chilli sauce in your 'legendary saouce with irresistable force' lol. Ogalo is much better than oporto.

hatty

Banned
one thing i should mention, if you do end up working there and someone orders a "bondi burger without chilli", don't type that in the computer. the guys at the back will come get you.

hatty

Banned
lol

yeah its a norm burger but the dumbass jocks that worked with me could never really figure that out and always punched in bondi without chilli even though it was mentioned 1000 times in their training. fucken idiots

elisabeth

HSC
Yep, if you work there you'll do many an order:

"Hi, I'd like a bondi burger without chilli, thanks"
"A norm burger then?"
"Yeah"

Why didn't you just say so dumbarse? I get so many repeat customers and I go through that EVERY time with them because they can't tell the difference.

"A regular bondi meal, thanks"
"That's with chilli?"
"Oh, no"
"So a regular norm meal?"
"No, I want a -bondi- meal but without the chilli" (spoken loudly and slowly)
"Sir, norm burgers are exactly the same as bondi burgers just without chilli"

At which point, you point at giant sign in the background and, if the customer was particularly an arse, give them a condescending smile.

Another thing to note is most food is cooked fresh, unless you're at a heaps busy location or there is a rush of customers. Now, rappas and strips can take 5 minutes to cook fresh, you always have to mention that to customers before ringing up their order otherwise they'll get stroppy. Hell, that happens a lot of the time anyway...

Does anyone else at Oporto have eftpos? We don't and I think management should put up a bigger, bleedingly obvious sign, because I've had a bunch of people order 5 specially grilled meals, only to have them say -afterwards- "You take eftpos, right?"

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
elisabeth said:
Yep, if you work there you'll do many an order:
"A regular bondi meal, thanks"
"That's with chilli?"
"Oh, no"
"So a regular norm meal?"
"No, I want a -bondi- meal but without the chilli" (spoken loudly and slowly)
"Sir, norm burgers are exactly the same as bondi burgers just without chilli"

At which point, you point at giant sign in the background and, if the customer was particularly an arse, give them a condescending smile.
lol you should have said, well if you want a bondi burger you have to be man enough to handle the chilli. We have a norm meal for the weak people, those that can't handle the chilli. Are you a weak man sir?

Trogie

HSC
routemarker said:
do you guys use the masterfood chilli sauce in your 'legendary saouce with irresistable force' lol. Ogalo is much better than oporto.
lolol ogalo...best knock-off ever.

but you're right, it is pretty good.

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
hey what is the oporto chilli sauce anyway ? can you buy it anywhere ?

elisabeth

HSC
routemarker said:
lol you should have said, well if you want a bondi burger you have to be man enough to handle the chilli. We have a norm meal for the weak people, those that can't handle the chilli. Are you a weak man sir?
Lmao... I was well tempted to try that. You get so many spineless saps who get all snarky with you when you correct them because they can't handle looking like an illiterate idiot infront of their gf.

Mushy18

HSC
thanks alot guys. and another thing...wen u applied for ur jobs, did u have any experience in the industry already?

elisabeth

HSC
Mushy18 said:
thanks alot guys. and another thing...wen u applied for ur jobs, did u have any experience in the industry already?
None. I just went there cause I saw they had a sign out for applicants and thought "eh, wonder if fast food is as shit as people say".

I told my boss I'd never worked in fast food before, but I spoke about my job at the pharmacy and how it helped me know how to handle customers. Play up the happy, customer service part of any jobs you've had. I really wouldn't worry about never having worked in fast food, my boss said "Oh good, you'll have no bad habits then". Yep, fresh (malleable) meat.

hatty

Banned
i didnt have any experience in anything. the only thing that gave me the edge over other applicants was that i knew how to fill out the fucking form properly. these monkeys were sitting there trying to figure out what to write on this application form like they were trying to split the atom or somethnig, lol. just dont be a dumbshit and you're fine,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)