Working computer submerged in 30 liters of Cooking Oil (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Heres an article on how they did it
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/

The Pc costs 2000 US dollars, and they are not afraid of risking losing it

Our shopping list for the Munich computer mile is not particularly long: An AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 available for $1,079 as the processor - a GeForce 6800 Ultra PCIe graphics card costs $359. Among further components are a motherboard from Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI with an NForce-4-SLI chipset that costs just under $220 as well as DDR400 memory (1 GB) for $120, and an IDE hard drive from Maxtor with 320 GB capacity for the reasonable price of $155. We still have little things like a keyboard, mouse or 16-speed DVD burner available. In total that makes just around $2,000.
30 liters of cooking oil

Clear case without holes

The before

pouring the oil

After

The after again

You can ever download a video of how they did it
http://www4.tomshardware.com/images/thg_video_18_oil_cooled_pc_divx.zip

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I take it the PSU cant be submerged?

but haha, i'm happy with fans :p

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
I didn't read link... but what exactly is the point of that? Does it keep the PC cooler?
the point is that u can do it.

why do we try new things.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
dunnoe if ne of u guys subscribe to atomic...but yeah it was done on atomic

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I believe the white cable is its VGA cable.

The PSU contains a fan, which can't be dipped in oil because they were designed for propelling air not oil. Putting the fan in oil will cause overheating in the DC motor as it struggles to push the much denser oil.

It could be improved by circulating a chiller in the oil to actively cool it.

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
That's a stupid idea, better off submerging your PC in a clear non conductive fluid, then dying a fully hectic UV reactive colour, would need to seperately water cool the cpu with a proper loop.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
minushuman said:
better off submerging your PC in a clear non conductive fluid
Find a clear non conductive liquid.

There is a debate on the Tom's Hardware forum about a possible conspiracy theory, how there is another computer to which the monitor is connected to and benchmarking etc.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
minushuman said:
That's a stupid idea, better off submerging your PC in a clear non conductive fluid, then dying a fully hectic UV reactive colour, would need to seperately water cool the cpu with a proper loop.
i think they tried it with non-conductive qater or something. but it didnt work to well

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
They tried de ionised water. Should work in theory, but very risky in practice. Surprised they didn't short anything out.

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Dionised would be an extremely bad idea considering there are many different types of metal on the motherboard and components, it wouldn't last long.

"Fluid XP" is a clear non-conductive water like substance, it's used as a precaution in water cooling setups where there isn't a possibility to leak teast the loop outside of the case.

gman03

HSC
If we submerge a few more intels extreme chips into the tank we can open up another macdonald.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
that is pretty cool, for those wondering why you would do it, well for one, because you can, and for two, a completely immersed system would provide completely silent and highly efficient [ not to mention cheap] cooling, meaning you could overclock considerably without any overheating.

This is a big step, people have been wanting something like this for a long time, but we arent there yet.

I wouldnt suggest doing it at this stage, it is full of risks and there are a few problems with it cooling the oil [once it reaches a high temperature, which takes a long long time granted, but once it happens u would have to shutdown] also the fact that an open top in necessary for heat exchange between the oil and air oil smells, risk of spillage and dust particles etc will float into the oil, so a peroidic oul change will be necessary.

thia ia a good first step, and i look forward to when they can suggest a viable alternative method of cooling, like using motor oil as someone suggested, and an oil cooling system that has the tubes going into the box, but sits outside of the box meaning you could have the top of the tank sealed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)