Working in the UN? :) (1 Viewer)

MollieH

HSC
N/A
Hi, I'm new here :) Just wondering if anyone knows anything about working in the UN? It's kind of a little dream of mine. I'm interested in learning languages, English, journalism, international relations and Legal Studies. I want to know if anyone has heard anything about working there, or knows someone who wants to, or has an idea of job opportunities involved, or what kind of strengths would be necessary. Pretty much I'd love any info you have! I know it would e pretty competitive as its pretty major, but maybe there are smaller steps towards that dream? Any replies appreciated, thanks :D

taemins

HSC
Hi MollieH :)

Working in the U.N is kind of a dream of mine too! I'm still in year 12 but I've done major research on prereqs and such needed to be able to work in the U.N. From what I've gathered it surrounds these:
- proficiency in English, and super advantageously French. Knowing more than 1 of the main languages of the UN (besides French and English: Spanish, German, Mandarin and I think the other one is Arabic, I may be wrong on that one).
- at least 2 - 5 years relevant field experience
- Going towards your Masters or PhD (but there are job positions available for postgrads)

I've looked at the job contents of positions such as Human Rights Officers and they demand quite a lot and seem rigorous. I had a friend who was going to go to East Timor (if memory serves me well) and she had to pay her own expenses to be able to go there. I'm not sure if she was doing voluntary work, which I'm assuming she was.

Most of the courses that have career opportunities in the U.N like Global Studies at UTS or International and Global Studies at USyd or International Development at ACU have awesome subjects/units (from what I've researched)

There are many job positions at the U.N, like working within the Secretariat and other places within the U.N - you could be a translator (From the last time I saw, they need quite a few Mandarin translators and French as well, not sure about that though), or a public informations officer. There's heaps of jobs to pick! You have to be super qualified though.

There are also Young Professional Programmes and Interships in the U.N that could help you into certain career pathways within in it that will help you.

https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx and other United Nations sites helped with all my above information.
I'd also recommend working at other places beforehand maybe like NGO's or just domestic sort of humanitarian work - extra experience is always good.

Hope this helped :)

hunn

HSC
I think it is very very important to show interest in the work of the UN from day one of your university time. The competition is very high, and internships and volunteering are a good way to show what you want!

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I want to be a lawyer in the International Criminal Court/International Court of Justice (I'm only in year eleven at the moment though, so still a long time off). I'm currently doing French Continuers and will undertake the Extension course next year, as French and English are the working languages of the course. I'm going on exchange to France in November in the hopes of being at least semi-fluent by the HSC. If your school offers the option (and even if they don't, inquire as to whether you can go) I'd definitely recommend attending MUNA (Model United Nations Assembly), which is an Eastern Australian competition in which students adopt the role of a delegation from a particular nation to the UN General Assembly. At uni, I'm planning to do a double degree of law/international studies at UNSW and advance to professional French as part of the int. studies degree. It seems as though you're leaning toward an international law sort of path (may be wrong here) so you may want to think about something similar.

Good luck, might see you in The Hague someday :)

MollieH

HSC
N/A
Wow thanks so much! To be honest I didn't really expect anyone would reply, to find out someone else has had interest in it too is fantastic! :)
Thanks for the info & link, that's really helpful! :D Thanks so much! (And it looks like you're a Sherlock/Benedict Cumberbatch fan too? ;) )
I'm already doing French, and will continue to year 12 with that, so I'm glad that helps. I don't think I'd make a good trabslator though.
Also do you think a combined International Studies and Law degree would be worthwhile?

MollieH

HSC
N/A
Thanks! Yes, I am interested in International Law ;) Only thing is I'm not a confident debater so being an actual lawyer probably isn't something I'd be great at. Would there be other jobs relevant, and would it still be worthwhile to do a combined law degree?

MollieH

HSC
N/A
Good thinking ;) Should I do volunteering in my last couple of years of high school? And if so, what kind? Does working in a charity shop, op shop etc. seem relevant at all?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a casual job at the UNHCR, you don't need any qualifications at all.

teeah

HSC
Good thinking ;) Should I do volunteering in my last couple of years of high school? And if so, what kind? Does working in a charity shop, op shop etc. seem relevant at all?
I'd recommend this for any job really. Volunteering seriously looks amazing on any kind of application- whether it be a school leadership thing or to boost your chances for your UN dream & it's actually quite fun too. You'd probably want to go for something where you get to come into contact with different kinds of people, to help build your communication/empathetic skills. Perhaps visiting nursing homes/working at a soup kitchen/helping new immigrants learn English? :)

MollieH

HSC
N/A
Okay, cool! How did you get it? Did you apply? And do they have a place in Sydney??

teeah

HSC
Okay, cool! How did you get it? Did you apply? And do they have a place in Sydney??
By it, I'm assuming you're talking about the volunteering gigs? If so, nah, I didn't apply I called people up/visited them at work and just talked to them about what I wanted to do and why I wanted to do it. They're mostly around Parramatta but I'm sure there's something available wherever you are. :)

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a casual job at the UNHCR, you don't need any qualifications at all.
bugging people on street corners asking if they are over 21 and trying to sell charity is not working for the UN...

these positions are normally appointed to those who have worked in the legal industry, or, politics... Normally you have to be really good at what you do to get noticed by the UN... Not saying that person can't be you, you just have to be prepared for the hard yards...

why would you want to work for the UN anyway... they are the most: impotent, pointless, naive, red tape ridden and apathetic bunch of sods I have ever witnessed... private sector pays more and does more for the world...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)