Working whilst studying at University full-time? (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Basically, after completing my first semester, I've realised that I need a job if I want to be able to pay for transport, clothes etc. etc.
But I'm having a tough time finding jobs that will fit around a science course timetable.
I've made my timetable for next semester, and I can get fridays off, and perhaps even Tuesdays.

What type of jobs in your opinion are suitable for a full-time student at uni, who still wants to do well in her studies?
Also, do you think that I should get a job now, or wait until the end of the year?

I'm sorry, I'm so conflicted about what I should do and I'm really worried about my finances and uggggh I don't know what to do :(

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically, after completing my first semester, I've realised that I need a job if I want to be able to pay for transport, clothes etc. etc.
But I'm having a tough time finding jobs that will fit around a science course timetable.
I've made my timetable for next semester, and I can get fridays off, and perhaps even Tuesdays.

What type of jobs in your opinion are suitable for a full-time student at uni, who still wants to do well in her studies?
Also, do you think that I should get a job now, or wait until the end of the year?

I'm sorry, I'm so conflicted about what I should do and I'm really worried about my finances and uggggh I don't know what to do :(
You could try get a job and see how it goes, if it doesn't work out quit the job.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

Have you considered becoming a part time student?
Even then, 3 subjects per semester is still considered part time and you would be able to get concession.
2 subjects a semester doesn't instantly push you back in your degree either. Summer and winter break courses could help you catch up, and a reduced study load could help improve your grades as you have less to focus on.

Otherwise, look for jobs where you only have to work 2-3 days a week. My friend is doing pharmacy full time and works in a fast food place on Saturdays and Sundays only. They seem pretty flexible around uni timetables :)

izzy88

HSC
Big stores like Coles/Woolworths/Kmart are usually good as they have heaps of staff so easy to get time off for exams etc and have long store opening hours so flexible times for students. When I worked at a supermarket I mostly did 4 hours shifts - 6-10pm etc or earlier, depending on my timetable. Worked quite well for me - did it for 2 1/2 years or so. Only problem was that it was a little unreliable - sometimes you would get one 4 hour shift, and other times I would get more than 20 hours a week.

Depends on how much money you need and what you think your threshold is for how many hours you can work.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I work on saturday mornings and thursdays

They understand and try to fit you in according to your timetable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)