World Youth Day 08 (1 Viewer)

WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I'm angrier over these nutbag annoyance laws than the actual WYD event itself, tbh. I wouldn't object to WYD being held here at all if it wasn't going to be

a) a giant pain in the ass for the rest of us who just want to get on with our lives/work/etc while it's on

b) if the government would stop with this ridiculous "oh just take a week off work and work from home", "oh just leave your car in the garage for a week" like it's that simple and

c) if they'd stop introducing new police power bullshit that stops us being able to voice frustration in any other way than simply not going anywhere near the event, which I imagine for most of us is going to be a little hard...?

If the Islams wanted to hold a similar event I'd feel the same way as I do about WYD, which is: Do it if you like, but don't expect people to bend over backwards to accommodate you more than we already are by letting you hold this massive event in our city and annoy us all for a week.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
I heard CityRail workers are planning a strike when the POPe arrives, gosh they want a pay rise every year, typical nut heads, might as well hire Asian migrants who once drove Tuk Tuks to replace CityRail retards. :)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
oh noes

Special powers urged to stop Pope strike

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/08/2297149.htm

The New South Wales Government is being urged to invoke essential services legislation to avert a 24-hour rail strike on Sydney's busiest day during next week's World Youth Day event.

Rail workers have decided to strike on "Super Thursday" next week against the Government's 2.5 per cent capped pay rise offer, which they say is far below the level of inflation.

Transport preparations for the influx of pilgrims began 18 months ago but the Government has no contingency plans to deal with the action.

The strike could strand up to 750,000 Sydneysiders and Catholic pilgrims when Pope Benedict is officially welcomed to the city.

He will arrive at Barangaroo by what organisers describe as a papal "boatacade" and will give a Mass to an expected crowd of hundreds of thousands before touring the CBD.

Many roads in the city will be closed for the event - including George Street, Bridge Street, Phillip Street, Macquarie Street and Hickson Road - and organisers were counting on the rail system to carry the extra load.

RailCorp could ordinarily muster hundreds of buses to compensate for a rail strike but they are already being used for the religious event.

Premier Morris Iemma yesterday accused the Rail, Tram and Bus Union of engaging in industrial terror, but the union is making no apology for its first strike in nine years, asking commuters and pilgrims for understanding.

RailCorp acting chief executive Rob Mason says he hopes the dispute can be resolved when the Government takes action in the Industrial Relations Commission this morning.

"We'll be down at the commission and we'll carry on negotiating," he said. "We have got a good offer on the table."

NSW Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell says the Government could enact essential services legislation, which would prevent the strike by enforcing penalties against striking workers.

"The essential services legislation was put in place precisely to stop this sort of action occurring where the public is being held to ransom," he said.

State Transport Minister John Watkins says he is seeking advice on the status of those powers but is resting his hopes on a negotiated truce.

"If we can't do it through negotiation, we'll use all the powers of Industrial Relations Commission that are available to us because we must avoid a strike next Thursday," he said.

"It is crazy to have even put it on the table and we'll do all in our power to avoid it."

Replacement events

One of a group of 60 Catholic pilgrims who will travel from Melbourne to Sydney to attend World Youth Day says the planned action will cause a significant disruption.

The president of the Catholic Secondary Principals Association, Vin Feeney, says the group of colleagues and students will be staying in Engadine, in southern Sydney, and had planned to travel to the events by train.

Mr Feeney has told ABC Radio's AM program contingency arrangements will have to be considered if the rail strike goes ahead.

"It may be that there will be other events which will be organised on a more localised basis so that walking was the way that people were able to get around on that day," he said.

"That wouldn't be unusual for pilgrims. As you know, historically, pilgrimages were often taken by foot, so maybe we'll be reverting to the historical form of pilgrimage."

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
wat r they gunna do
fire all the railcorp workers?

i dont think so. pilgrims have two fucking legs, they can walk or stfu

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
'Show Pope respect', Rudd tells rail workers

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/08/2297411.htm

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has called on rail workers threatening to strike on Sydney's busiest day of the World Youth Day event to show respect for the Pope.

Rail workers plan to strike for 24 hours next Thursday, when hundreds of thousands of pilgrims are expected to welcome the Pope to Sydney's CBD.

Up to 750,000 Sydneysiders and pilgrims could be stranded when Pope Benedict arrives at Barangaroo by what organisers call a papal "boatacade" before touring the city.

Transport preparations for the influx of pilgrims began 18 months ago but the New South Wales Government has no contingency plans to deal with the action.

Many roads in the city will be closed for the event and organisers were counting on the rail system to carry the extra load.

RailCorp could ordinarily muster hundreds of buses to compensate for a rail strike but they are already being used for the religious event.

Mr Rudd says the Rail, Tram and Bus Union should remember Pope Benedict is a welcome guest.

"Australia is honoured to have the Holy Father with us," he said. "All of Australia, including those in this particular union, I believe should treat him with respect."

'We could use WorkChoices'

Rail workers are angry at the Government's 2.5 per cent capped pay rise offer, which they say is far below the level of inflation.

NSW Transport Minister John Watkins has today asked the Industrial Relations Commission to use federal laws to terminate the bargaining period, thus preventing the Rail, Tram and Bus Union's first strike in nine years.

Mr Watkins says he is also prepared to use the Howard government's WorkChoices legislation to stop the action, which Premier Morris Iemma yesterday branded "industrial terror tactics".

"What the commission can do is rub out any industrial action next Thursday," he said.

"We would expect that if we can't negotiate an outcome today, that is exactly what the Industrial Relations Commission can do.

"We will use the industrial powers that are available to us. That is what the travelling public would expect us to do."

The matter will be heard on Thursday but Rail, Tram and Bus Union secretary Nick Lewocki says a meeting underway with Mr Watkins could resolve the issue.

"What we're hoping that'll do is move these negotiations forward so the industrial action can be avoided," he said.

Mr Lewocki has shrugged off claims the unions are acting as industrial terrorists, saying rail workers are genuinely concerned the pay offer by the Government will see hundreds of jobs lost and services affected.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
man that infuriates me
'show the pope respect'

the pope can fuck off, quite obviously this strike isnt going to affect him coz he sure as shit isnt going to be catching sydneys shittty rail system to everthing

jannny

HSC
blackmail at its best. I reckon if the government grants their wish, It will show that they're vulnerable and other unions can exploit that and get what they want by using the same method i.e. blackmail.

rach19

HSC
The majority of people catching the trains will stay for a week and I think they can walk personally I am and it doesn't bother me. The problem will be 1000's of buses going along the toll ways. Anyways it should be good apart from all the traffic

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I'm angrier over these nutbag annoyance laws than the actual WYD event itself, tbh. I wouldn't object to WYD being held here at all if it wasn't going to be

a) a giant pain in the ass for the rest of us who just want to get on with our lives/work/etc while it's on

b) if the government would stop with this ridiculous "oh just take a week off work and work from home", "oh just leave your car in the garage for a week" like it's that simple and

c) if they'd stop introducing new police power bullshit that stops us being able to voice frustration in any other way than simply not going anywhere near the event, which I imagine for most of us is going to be a little hard...?

If the Islams wanted to hold a similar event I'd feel the same way as I do about WYD, which is: Do it if you like, but don't expect people to bend over backwards to accommodate you more than we already are by letting you hold this massive event in our city and annoy us all for a week.
JESUS CHRIST! The ignorance of some people!

Believe it or not, there actually is a difference between muslims and Islam.

MUSLIMS are the people who follow the religion of ISLAM.

It's like saying: If the Buddihsms wanted to hold a similar event I'd feel the same way as I do about WYD

loz8888

HSC
katie tully said:
man that infuriates me
'show the pope respect'

the pope can fuck off, quite obviously this strike isnt going to affect him coz he sure as shit isnt going to be catching sydneys shittty rail system to everthing
well said!

fuck WYD!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:

It's like saying: If the Buddihsms wanted to hold a similar event I'd feel the same way as I do about WYD
THE ISLAMS ARE COMING!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:

I am aware of this.

You need to lurk moar.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Pope strike now off

* Email
* Printer friendly version
* Normal font
* Large font

Andrew Clennell
July 8, 2008 - 2:17PM
Latest related coverage

* Analysis
* Poll

Advertisement

A rail strike on World Youth Day appears to have been averted after the Government reached agreement with the rail unions at a three-hour meeting today to continue pay negotiations this afternoon.

The unions will now take the negotiated settlement to a vote of their delegates this afternoon and if passed, there will be no strike on World Youth Day, Deputy Premier John Watkins confirmed.

"It was a very positive meeting, a great deal of cooperation and the parties have come to an agreement to recommence EBA negotiations at 9am tomorrow morning [and] subject to confirmation this afternoon by delegates, industrial action has been agreed to dropped,'' Mr Watkins said.

Earlier today the Industrial Commission declined to call off the dispute.
a piece of me just died

unless they decide to do the strike at the 12th hour

fuck thatd be better.

Sylar23

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
HAHAHAHH THEY'RE GOING TO USE WORKCHOICES TO STOP THE RAIL WORKERS FROM STRIKING. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

God bless John Howard & Workchoices. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)