• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

World Youth Day 08 (1 Viewer)

WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
CharlieB said:
according to the legislation, a person may be fined $5500 for causing annoyance at a World Youth Day event.

As long as you protest respectfully i don't see how wearing a shirt and handing out condoms will attract a $5500 fine.

On the other hand, if you protest and hold up the pilgrimage to Randwick for example, this probably will attract a fine.

yes profits which will in-turn flow into schools, nursing homes, local parishes, hostels, hospitals, support services for the marginalised and the like.
Did you read this;

A CATHOLIC priest has said the money being spent on World Youth Day is an embarrassment and a scandal.

Father Peter Confeggi, a parish priest at Mount Druitt, said there was also a "large amount of dissatisfaction" with the spirituality that will be taught during the event, with many fearing it would be a right-wing brand of Catholicism.

Others within the church who did not want to be named told The Sun-Herald of similar concerns about the six-day event, which will cost the church an estimated $150million and NSW taxpayers at least $86million.

"There is a great dissatisfaction with the Restorationist spirituality, which is also devoid of any commitment to social justice," Father Confeggi said.

Father Confeggi said his parish was one of the most disadvantaged in Sydney. He said the church and state funds could be directed elsewhere, including to the 120,000 people sleeping homeless in Australia or education of the disadvantaged.

"To keep the church doors open here in Mount Druitt we scratch week after week after week," he said.

"The bottom line is this is a gross embarrassment to the church that I serve."
You twit. We are not going to recoup the money spent on WYD.
How will these profits trickle into schools, nursing homes, hospitals, etc?

Why don't we just funel the 86million into these things instead, and make the Church fully fund their own shit?

Richest organisation in the world, I'm pretty sure they can afford to do this without tax payer money.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I completely agree, the church should fund it all there is no reason why tax-payers should have to pay. The church has enough money.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
katie tully said:
Did you read this;

You twit. We are not going to recoup the money spent on WYD.
How will these profits trickle into schools, nursing homes, hospitals, etc?

Why don't we just funel the 86million into these things instead, and make the Church fully fund their own shit?

Richest organisation in the world, I'm pretty sure they can afford to do this without tax payer money.
yes i forgot to mention proceeds from merchandise will go to help paying the church's portion of expenses. Though i was trying to make the point that the church aren't selling the merchandise to line their own pockets.

Richest organisation? Are you alluding to the vatican? The church in Australia? Please be more specific.

emytaylor164 said:
I completely agree, the church should fund it all there is no reason why tax-payers should have to pay. The church has enough money.
There will be a net economic benefit for NSW and Australia. Hence, the church should not be burdened with all the costs.

http://www.thechamber.com.au/images/stories/080619_wyd_mr.pdf

http://www.thechamber.com.au/images/stories/080227_wyd08_economic_impact.pdf

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
CharlieB said:
yes i forgot to mention proceeds from merchandise will go to help paying the church's portion of expenses. Though i was trying to make the point that the church aren't selling the merchandise to line their own pockets.

Richest organisation? Are you alluding to the vatican? The church in Australia? Please be more specific.

There will be a net economic benefit for NSW and Australia. Hence, the church should not be burdened with all the costs.

http://www.thechamber.com.au/images/stories/080619_wyd_mr.pdf

http://www.thechamber.com.au/images/stories/080227_wyd08_economic_impact.pdf
What. The. Hell.

Let's go back a second.
Essentially you're saying this:
"Ther merchandise isn't lining the pockets of the Church. It's helping the Church recoup the money they spend on the WYD"

Dude. IT MEANS THEY'RE LINING THEIR POCKETS. THEYRE SELLING MERCHANDISE TO RECOUP THEIR LOSSES, how can you seriously not understand this?

Also those links are so bogus. They're overestimates for starters, it's been widely refuted again and again that that many people are attending.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
katie tully said:
What. The. Hell.

Let's go back a second.
Essentially you're saying this:
"Ther merchandise isn't lining the pockets of the Church. It's helping the Church recoup the money they spend on the WYD"

Dude. IT MEANS THEY'RE LINING THEIR POCKETS. THEYRE SELLING MERCHANDISE TO RECOUP THEIR LOSSES, how can you seriously not understand this?
wow strong comprehension skills.

How can you not make the link between "not lining their pockets" and a non-profit organisation where the majority of its outlays is represented by charitable services it provides to society.

And how did you make the assumption that they we're trying to recoup their losses? Maybe merchandising revenue (just like pilgrim fees) are a source of finance for this event?

katie tully said:
Also those links are so bogus. They're overestimates for starters, it's been widely refuted again and again that that many people are attending.
Only the number of international visitors have fallen short. Insignificant in comparison to the total number of people drawn to this event.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/03/2293855.htm?section=justin

banco55

HSC
CharlieB said:
wow strong comprehension skills.

How can you not make the link between "not lining their pockets" and a non-profit organisation where the majority of its outlays is represented by charitable services it provides to society.

And how did you make the assumption that they we're trying to recoup their losses? Maybe merchandising revenue (just like pilgrim fees) are a source of finance for this event?

Only the number of international visitors have fallen short. Insignificant in comparison to the total number of people drawn to this event.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/03/2293855.htm?section=justin
LOL at "only the number international visitors have fallen short" where do you think they are expecting the supposed economic benefits to Sydney to come from? International visitors.

By the way I suspect the Church and the Government knew these projections were optimistic (to put it politely) but it's a lot easier to get government money etc. when you cook the books and by the time you are proven wrong it's too late for anyone to back out.

Charizard

HSC
CharlieB said:
Yes it should.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras makes more money than catholic youth week will, EVERY YEAR

on the basis of this, I think the Catholic Church should be outlawed (or fined $5500 per member), since they're a major inconvenience/annoyance to the Gay & Lesbian community.

Last edited:

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Josie said:
My friends and I will be there with our boxes of condoms and our newly screenprinted t-shirts.

I was originally in two minds about going, but this retarded legislation is MAKING me do it.

Currently going with 'My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend' except it's not highly original.
i'm curious as to what exactly you are protesting against?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Teenage radicalism at it's best.

Breaking against the institution. That's what they're rebelling against: the institution.

Perhaps you should just respect the Catholic Church's views which are largely observed by it's adherents. If those adherent's don't like the Church's views or ideas they're welcome to leave, if you don't like them you can shut up because you're not a part of the Church. Simple really.

If you dared to be so disrespectful as to wave Swastikas at a Jewish event or present bacon at an Islamic event I should hope you would have as equal a punishment under the law. This childishness should not be tolerated.

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Nobody has the right not to be offended. Especially by something as trivial as condoms, tshirts or a gay kiss-in.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I'm curious as to whether these 'protesters' would do the same if it were an Islamic gathering, or would they toe the 'respect their belief' line? Of course it's not as politically incorrect to vilify the Catholic Church is it?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
incentivation said:
I'm curious as to whether these 'protesters' would do the same if it were an Islamic gathering, or would they toe the 'respect their belief' line? Of course it's not as politically incorrect to vilify the Catholic Church is it?
I would.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
incentivation said:
i never rly cared what the anti-abortion, anti-contraceptive, anti-gay, abuse covering-up folks and their nazi youth leader got up to at randwick

it's only the laws that pissed me off (and generated a bit of extra collateral hate at the catholics too, lol)

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
i never rly cared what the anti-abortion, anti-contraceptive, anti-gay, abuse covering-up folks and their nazi youth leader got up to at randwick

it's only the laws that pissed me off (and generated a bit of extra collateral hate at the catholics too, lol)
me too, tbh
these laws just make me wanna be obnoxious

if they had similar laws for an islamic one, im sure most ppl would be equally as obnoxious

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
katie tully said:
me too, tbh
these laws just make me wanna be obnoxious

if they had similar laws for an islamic one, im sure most ppl would be equally as obnoxious
Yep.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yeah sure... why not? I mean, I do think there might be a few people more worried about pissing off muslims or whatever, but I still don't doubt that there'd be some desire for protest if there was an equally publicised muslim event on. TBH I think if laws such as these were enacted for a muslim event, there would be even larger amounts of protests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)