WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Iron said:
Yes I realise that relativists can have fervent beliefs (and the biggest hole is nationalism), but I dont believe that the will can be as sincere or as sustained. The test to me is on what you'd give your life for. BMW? Home? Justice? Love? Eternal paradise? Christianity thrives on this, it grew out of it. It had religious variants in, say, Ghandi's non-cooperation. Religion can absorb massive opposition. Take the middle east...
Ghandi had influences from religious and non-religious forces (many of his closest freinds were atheists)... chances are that a good part of MLK's "I have a dream" speech was written by his atheist speechwriter. Anecdotes aside, I'd like to know what you think christians live their lives for that is so special compared with myself (personally I believe we live day to day fairly simple lives with many short term goals, only waxing lyrical when such philosophical questions get posed to us).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enteebee said:
I'd like to know what you think christians live their lives for that is so special compared with myself .
I beg your pardon?
I dont think I even raised that. All i've been chatting about, in a painfully civilized manner I might add, is relativism. I feel that they are rude and unwashed people who must be absolutely wrong. Otherwise i'm wrong.. which cannot be tolerated

banco55

HSC
I kind of look with some nostalgia on the 'muscular' Catholicism that existed up until about the mid '60's. Now it just seems somewhat pathetic and not worth getting exercised about one way or the other. Catholicism is basically finished in Europe after all.

bigneh

HSC
Surely you subscribe to any set of ideas? such as atheism.
Thats the beauty of Atheism, we dont have a set of ideas, we think for our selfs.
Theres nothing to subscribe to, its not a religion or a group, the word Atheism shouldnt really be used at all, for example as Sam Harris put it we dont call people non-racists.

The point you made about organised religions already having say charities established is a good point, i think you would find if the religious didnt have that donation plate poked into them every time they go to Church they would have motivational problems aswell.

Sacrifice some internet juice and watch that 3 part series :)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Seems to me that some people create their "intelectuallity" by simply viewing YouTube material? I'll be sure to use a few YouTube videos when I get around to doing my thesis as they must be incredibly reliable.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Iron said:
A passionate belief in relativism is verging on contradiction
It's not relativism, per se, that I was suggesting could be the object of passionate belief, but rather 'relative truths', e.g. value claims like 'we should minimize the amount of harm we cause sentient beings'. I hold some of my values quite strongly despite recognising, at a certain level, that they are only true in a relative sense. Though, there are also objective rational arguments for accepting certain values or moral tenets on hypothetical grounds (yielding a Kantian hypothetical imperative), e.g. IF you value the end X THEN you should engage in action Y (that is, Y is a successful, or the best, means of bringing about X). I think morality actually becomes quite sensible once you ditch Kantian categorical claims and replace them with hypothetical imperatives.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Somehow this turned into a big fat intellectual debate, when the whole point of WYD (from the perspective of youth and religion) is just for young people to come together and discuss beliefs, meet new people, deepen their faith (or not).
That sort of stuff.
Just because it's for catholics, does not mean that everyone believes the same thing and all.
I just think it's a bit exciting because there will be so many different people from so many different places, who you'd get to spend time with and learn about.
And back to what someone said on the first page, no, they probaly wouldn't have an athiest tent, lol, but the whole point of non-catholics being welcomed, I think, is for them to share the same experiences as catholics, and possibly find God or whatever they're there for.
I mean, if you don't like religion and you're not catholic, you don't have to go, do you?
Just pretend it's not happeneing, and odds are good that it wont bother you.

Personally I'm most excited about the 500,000 people camp out whats-its.

Also, I'd just like to apologise for my highly unintelligent and possibly incoherant post.
I have the flu and am attempting to study.
Gr.
Half yearlies when school goes back.
So much for holidays =)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The world's biggest youth event, in our backyard. Lovinit!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
The RTA sign overhead of Epping/Longueville Road near Lane Cove and the Pacific Highway today was advertising World Youth Day saying "88 Days to go" I think the government initiative and support for this event is great, and I hope it will continue despite complaints from the irreligious.

Chag Pesach Sameach ve Shabbat Shalom.

Gay Captain

HSC
The figure does not include the $42 million compensation to the Australian Jockey Club and the racing industry to secure Randwick Racecourse for the overnight vigil and Mass to be celebrated by Pope Benedict XVI on July 20.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Really? That's actually pretty decent. It's only 0.01% of Australia's GDP, but the status and money it will bring to Australia far exceed that!

I mean sure, we are one of the biggest economies in the world, but consider that the Olympic Stadium alone cost $650 million.

Edit: in words, that is: one hundredth of a percent of Australia's GDP. That's thanks to having the 15th largest economy in the world.

Last edited:

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Yes, because what the State Labor Government spends our money on really is to the benefit of all of us...at least in this instance a private organisation is using the given money appropriately and to the benefit of Sydney - Happy pilgrims equals happy return visitors (with families).

We need to keep our Judeo-Christian society Judeo-Christian, because it's well proven that successful stable countries are based upon Judeo-Christian governments. :)

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Couldn't think of anything less id rather my taxes go to other then the drain.

Maybe not even that.

edit: maybe too harsh.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Yes I don't like my tax dollars going to it either...

In fact I don't like getting penalty rates on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

(Please detect sarcasm)

Deal with it, you enjoy the benefits of Christianity right down to the fact that you get Sundays off or at penalty rates and that you have the opportunity to attend better educational institutions thanks to private (often Christian) schools.

Gay Captain

HSC
Obviously the concept of a day of rest wouldn't have been invented without jesus, lol

EDIT: by Christianity you must mean trade unions :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)