worst/best english novel you have ever read in school? (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Lyly said:
Best novels:
Goodnight Mister Tom in Year 8 (but such a sad book!)
Playing Beatie Bow in Year 8 (intriguing!)

Worst novels:
Heart of Darkness this year (sorry, but it just doesn't interest me at all, although the topic we were doing was interesting)
you really liked that? really?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Our English class didn't read To Kill a Mocking Bird. The other classes were, but we were too busy reading "Wrack" which had dialogue... *shudders* ...dialogue without any speech marks or any marks to show that is was actually dialogue at all.

It drove me insane.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Now that I think about it, I didn't like"Chinese cinderella" either. Anyone who liked it, go and read "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang, and you'll understand my problem. "Chinese Cinderella" dies slowly of a painful and embarrassing disease in comparison. I just found all the characters in it very 2 dimensional. From the evil step-mother to the perfect little step-daughter, everything just makes me feel like choking.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Empyrean444 said:
How can u hate Brave New World - it's bloody great!
Same with Dracula/Hobbit
Ha even my english teacher said it was a bad novel, its only a book of ideas. If i want to read conservative errotica based around kiddy sex, massive orgys and stoner parties then ill read brave new world

freaky.styly

HSC
Robin Hood said:
worst book ever.Bram Stokers Dracula. The most corniest book ever written. *dracula climbs wall in lizard like manner* "oh, i wonder how he does that.....oh well, wont worry about it, its probably normal"
woah, are you serious. i really liked it, in that as a compilation of journals etc it was unconventional...something different. plus all the sexual undertones, and multiple perspectives made it a great read in my eyes.
plenty of suspense= thrillinggg (y)

worst for me is catcher in the rye. looking back it has a point to make, though it really is a terrible and monotonous read.

SiN3m

HSC
agree, dracula was good...

in yr11 i had to read portrait of a lady..KILLA!!!

to kill a mockingbird, Emma and Pride and Preudice was hell, never finished it.

ddnt like the novels...shakespeare plays were the only stuff i liked.

Robin Hood

HSC
freaky.styly said:
woah, are you serious. i really liked it, in that as a compilation of journals etc it was unconventional...something different. plus all the sexual undertones, and multiple perspectives made it a great read in my eyes.
plenty of suspense= thrillinggg (y)
I liked how it was in journals i just didn't like the stupidity of Jonathon argh lol.
Best book "Mao's last dancer". :read:

Pacchiru said:
Eh.. shakespeare's plays are the worst.
Shakespeare is bloody awesome! Macbeth :)

SiN3m

HSC
Pacchiru said:
Eh.. shakespeare's plays are the worst. :(

i can read and understand good ole William better than Austen...she just goes on and on and on!!!

SiN3m

HSC
Pacchiru said:
LOL.

and shakespeare just exaggerates and exaggerates.

at least it is poetic and just beautifully crafted....look at me soundin' like an english nerd :S

i rather hyperbole over austen's verbose style.

SiN3m

HSC
ratcher0071 said:
Reading them is a ... but in the end it's all good.

Except for the characters, who all die :(

only in a tragedy or history do they die

comedy ends in weddings!!! lol

ratcher0071

HSC
SiN3m said:
only in a tragedy or history do they die

comedy ends in weddings!!! lol
soz for those who haven't read these (Contains spoilers)

It's true, I read Much Ado About Nothing (comedy) ended in the wedding of Beatrice and Benedick

Othello (tragedy) death of othello, desdemona, roderigo

Romeo & Juliet (tragedy) death of romeo, juliet

SiN3m

HSC
ratcher0071 said:
soz for those who haven't read these (Contains spoilers)

It's true, I read Much Ado About Nothing (comedy) ended in the wedding of Beatrice and Benedick

Othello (tragedy) death of othello, desdemona, roderigo

Romeo & Juliet (tragedy) death of romeo, juliet
God i hated Romeo and Juliet...

E

Empyrean444

axlenatore said:
Ha even my english teacher said it was a bad novel, its only a book of ideas. If i want to read conservative errotica based around kiddy sex, massive orgys and stoner parties then ill read brave new world
Most books are books of ideas anyway, and it presents some very good ones. Those things you mentioned only seem so ridiculous because a lot of them are common today - proving his personal genius

eliseliselise

HSC
Best would definitely be Dracula [Stoker], gotta love the ye olde 19th century and the 459248389650968398902890 different appropriations of le classique text.
Worst would be The Shipping News [Proulx]... where were the Pulitzer judges' minds???? It's so bleak, dreary and the knots at the beginning of each chapter... i just kept waiting to get to the chapter called 'The Noose', but I never got there, and naming the protagonist after a knot as some kind of extended metaphorical statement... come onnnnnn.!!

duy.le

HSC
im surprised no one has mentioned harry potter, even though i dont think it was that good i would of thought someone would of.

BEST: memoirs of a geisha - Arthur Golden
Prey- forgot author (thriller about computers)
james patterson's woman's murder club series is pretty good.
dan brown is also good.
oh and of course good old Cambridge 4unit, good night reading.
i like to kill a mocking bird, good themes and clear message.
BAD: i dont not like book, i just stop reading it if its boring, ive liked all my texts for english, yes even brave new world. i cant bring my self to reading Lord of the Rings though. :sleep:.long and boring much?

SiN3m

HSC
duy.le said:
im surprised no one has mentioned harry potter, even though i dont think it was that good i would of thought someone would of.

BEST: memoirs of a geisha - Arthur Golden
Prey- forgot author (thriller about computers)
james patterson's woman's murder club series is pretty good.
dan brown is also good.
oh and of course good old Cambridge 4unit, good night reading.
i like to kill a mocking bird, good themes and clear message.
BAD: i dont not like book, i just stop reading it if its boring, ive liked all my texts for english, yes even brave new world. i cant bring my self to reading Lord of the Rings though. :sleep:.long and boring much?
u read all these for school????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)