Worst car on the road today? (1 Viewer)

will-anal

Banned
HSC
neither bike was OK in the examples cited, in fact, both crashes completly wrote of 5-10,000 bikes! The 4WD also had no Idea where the cyclist was or even what they'd hit, they parked on top of the cyclist and decided his bike was OK, even though it was a write off! Only then did they move the car of the cyclist!
Yes but does the cyclist not assume a certain amount of responsibility on the road?

I've seen some near misses involving cyclists and cars, and it's nearly always because the cyclist is a cunt and thinks they can duck in and out and around and chill out in blind spots.

All cars have blind spots. From experience, the vantage point I have when I am in a 4WD far surpasses the vantage point I have in a smaller car, which I feel makes driving a lot safer.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Things pman has driven:
A BMX

Things pman has not driven:
everything else

pman

Banned
HSC
Yes but does the cyclist not assume a certain amount of responsibility on the road?

I've seen some near misses involving cyclists and cars, and it's nearly always because the cyclist is a cunt and thinks they can duck in and out and around and chill out in blind spots.

All cars have blind spots. From experience, the vantage point I have when I am in a 4WD far surpasses the vantage point I have in a smaller car, which I feel makes driving a lot safer.
In the middle of the lane (3 lane road) directly in front of the car is not a blind spot, nor is the middle of a roundabout when the car must give way to you (and has slowed down, apparently to do just that). Both cyclists were cyclists, not pretenders who flaunt the road rules!

Most racing cyclists obey the road rules (except in certain [very rare] situations when it is in fact more dangerous to obey them). Both my uncle and myself were obeying the rules, not in the cars blind spot and doing speeds appropriate to the situation (he was doing 45 in a 50 zone and i was doing 15-20 accelerating through the roundabout back up to my cruising 35)

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Blah blah blah, that's not a reflection of the car then is it, it's a reflection of the drivers. I really don't think it would have mattered if under the very same conditions (weather, speed, etc) the car was a sedan and not a 4WD, I think the outcomes would have been very similar.

You're like, well I only broke my arm but somebody else broke ribs! Different conditions! Different factors,

pman

Banned
HSC
Things pman has driven:
A BMX

Things pman has not driven:
everything else
I'll point out that I was actually on a road bike, I race MTB and have my licence. I find 4WDs anoying and dangerous. Whilst i have never driven a 4WD, I have been in them and find the ride terrible, the rolling makes my sick and when i had to move one to get my own car out, I could barely see out the back! Don't know what theyare actually like to drive on the road though...and whe we went off road, my wagon coped just as well as the 4WD!

pman

Banned
HSC
Blah blah blah, that's not a reflection of the car then is it, it's a reflection of the drivers. I really don't think it would have mattered if under the very same conditions (weather, speed, etc) the car was a sedan and not a 4WD, I think the outcomes would have been very similar.

You're like, well I only broke my arm but somebody else broke ribs! Different conditions! Different factors,
I just dislike the cars, this is an example, yes conditions were different but I have never liked 4WDs, even before these 2 incidents

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah we need some sort of criteria

value for money
performance 4 mony
quality

infact everything must be compared to cost

because imo some $15k cars are shit cars overall, but good for $15k

where as some $80k cars are fucking horrid

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I cannot be fucked explaining again, Ill try and find my post but it was ages ago, weight doesn't affect stopping distance in the same way it affects acceleration.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Banged up old toyota corolla's. Making our roads look ugly. not good.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I can't find it. Maybe I didn't even post it on this forum.
Basically, assuming brakes can potentially lock wheels
F=ma
F=umg
ma=umg
a=ug

stopping distance relates almost directly to tires.

Check this though:
http://ww w.nrmaqld.com.au/keeping-safe-secure/car-safety/car-stopping-distance-tests.shtml

P-man I guarantee your car doesnt stop better than most modern SUVs. A CX-7 can stop from 60 mph in 117ft, that's 97 km/h in 37 m.

http://www.roadfly.com/2007-mazda-cx-7-road-test.html

Range Rover sports are something as equally insane. FYI that's as well as a Porsche Cayman.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Not to tug my own wang, but 37m doesn't seem too impressive. Fairly sure I could do like 80-0 in ~30 on the bike.

chuboy

HSC
Not to tug my own wang, but 37m doesn't seem too impressive. Fairly sure I could do like 80-0 in ~30 on the bike.
But wouldn't you expect that, given that the acceleration and braking and general manouvreablilty of a motorbike is greater than any car?

pman

Banned
HSC
But wouldn't you expect that, given that the acceleration and braking and general manouvreablilty of a motorbike is greater than any car?
Not really becouse you need to be really careful not to lock up the front brake on a bike, if you do lock it up, It will probably throw you over the handlebars!

And Riet, Will-anal Etc, you will never get me to stop hating SUV's, no matter what data you throw at me.

I also cannot beleive that weight does not effect stopping distance, yo are trying to reduce momentum and it is this momentum that makes it hard to stop...speed is irrelevent, it's momentum

Having said this, if the tires are the limiting factor it will make very little difference

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
pman, momentum increases linearly with weight but so does the braking force. Weight cancels out of the equation. Also lol at speed is irrelevant. Momentum is just mass times velocity.

az maybe: it really is mostly about tires when braking in a straight line.

SuperBike | See Inside Page 89 | Feb-05 | Zinio Digital Magazines & Books

GSXR 48.75 from 70 mph which is ~110, R1 51.5 so about on par with the 04 commodore.

edit: This is moot anyway, I don't especially like SUVs but I just wanted to clear that up as it is an unfair reason to dislike them. Reduced pedestrian safety and poor visibility around them is a valid point and I hate being behind landcruisers and shit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)