worth coming to ANU for law? (1 Viewer)

mudcake42

HSC
So I'm doing my HSC this year, and since last year I've REALLY wanted to go to ANU for Law. It looks insanely awesome, and I'd love to go if I get in (95UAI). But I'd be going to college, and the costs would be really high with living expenses etc etc.

So I was wondering, if for some freak reason I get into UTS Law ... is it worth spending the extra money to go to ANU?

thanks guys

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
depends on how much you want it. differs from person to person.

Evilo

HSC
mudcake42 said:
... is it worth spending the extra money to go to ANU?
go to anu - its a great uni and its highly regarded internationally.

As far as money goes, there are many ways to pay for uni accom - including through centrelink. I would suggest going to a catered college because centrelink will cover the food too. then all you need to spend money on is beer....

If you're too wealthy to get centrelink, then i spose you could suggest to your parents that it is cheaper for you to go there (to a hall/college), rather than staying at home (food, electricty, insurance etc). Thats what i was able to.

blacksunset

HSC
dont go catered if u wanna save money... im in self catered and i cant getany money from centrelink, and i survive purely on part time work and i get by easy
plus, the catered food is crappy...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
mudcake42 said:
So I'm doing my HSC this year, and since last year I've REALLY wanted to go to ANU for Law. It looks insanely awesome, and I'd love to go if I get in (95UAI). But I'd be going to college, and the costs would be really high with living expenses etc etc.

So I was wondering, if for some freak reason I get into UTS Law ... is it worth spending the extra money to go to ANU?

thanks guys
You would be better off going to Law course at UTS, USYD or UNSW. In this case, you wouldn't have to care about issue of extra money to spend. However, you will need 98+ UAI and 99+ UAI for those courses.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
NO! Flee! Once youre penetrate the dark capital, she will NEVER let you go. She will hold you in her clutches, strangle you (just enough to not leave any visible bruising) until you die. You will be a fly to her web! She will ejaculate her poison in your breast and you will be reduced to a quivering, paralytic wreck watching her suck away your youth and vitality - your purity of essence!
Divert course immediately. Retreat to home, prepare defences, you have been warned

Chelseafc65

HSC
Why is Canberra such as trap? Anything besides the government serverts and small population?

I also want to know if theres opportunity for law work experience in ANU during the 5 year period.

blacksunset

HSC
my friend is in first year law and shes already working in a law firm.
anu is great for law, as there are so many places around the city you will def get some work experience...
and you're degree will look better on a piece of paper than if it came from anywhere else

Evilo

HSC
Chelseafc65 said:
Why is Canberra such as trap? Anything besides the government serverts and small population?.
Its a scare campaign made by north shore mothers to keep their "precious" kids at home. Canberra is just a "quieter" city. By quieter; i mean you can only go clubbing on thursday, friday and saturday nights. So not really that quiet at all. Air is cleaner, and there are hardly any traffic jams.

As far as the "trap" thing goes. People say if you go into public service, then you'll be there forever and never leave. True or false, it's not a concern until you actually need a job after uni, and its as simple as not applying for one in the public service.

from what i've seen the people who haven't enjoyed canberra didnt come with realistic expectations of what a non-syd/melb city, university or student accom would be like. Keep an open mind, but remember that its the top uni in Australia with 15k+ students - so it must be pretty good. :)

blacksunset

HSC
Evilo said:
Keep an open mind, but remember that its the top uni in Australia with 15k+ students - so it must be pretty good. :)
its the top uni in the southern hemisphere.. and that counts for something! ;)

circusmind

HSC
lyounamu said:
You would be better off going to Law course at UTS, USYD or UNSW. In this case, you wouldn't have to care about issue of extra money to spend. However, you will need 98+ UAI and 99+ UAI for those courses.
Depends what sort of law he wants to do, and what he wants to combine it with.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
guys, i want to do comm/law at anu in 2009, and i need a uai of 95^
i was just wondering (this may be in the wrong thread) if it is really competitive?
like, if i get 95, would there be many people getting 96 and 97 and 98 who would beat me to the spot? that's what i'm most worried about at the moment.

circusmind

HSC
wendus said:
guys, i want to do comm/law at anu in 2009, and i need a uai of 95^
i was just wondering (this may be in the wrong thread) if it is really competitive?
like, if i get 95, would there be many people getting 96 and 97 and 98 who would beat me to the spot? that's what i'm most worried about at the moment.

Uhh...dude....a UAI cut-off of 95 means that if you get 95, you will get a spot. That's not to say that the UAI won't rise, but it has remained pretty steady for the last couple of years at least.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
i wish people would realise uai cutoffs mean jack shit. if you don't get, you get in by transferring in in the second semester (or second year).

all you need to do is keep a 60% average and you're pretty much guaranteed to have your transfer accepted.

Gerald10

HSC
I'm also interested in doing Law at ANU. Combined with arts and hopefully majoring in international relations and also development studies.

I've got no real interest in landing a high paying job tbh. Just not a motivation for me. I'm pretty confident of getting 95 to get into ANU but I think I'd have to really turn the gas up and work my arse off to get the big marks to get into UNSW or SYD, though they would be more convenient for me.

Also I read in the UAC guide that you can get into Law at ANU under the cut off by providing a one page statement demonstrating aptitude and motivation to study law. I think I'll get 95 anyway but considering I was first barrister in a state winning mock trial team would that be sufficient evidence of aptitude? Has anyone else got in this way that anyone knows of?

Evilo

HSC
Gerald10 said:
I'd have to really turn the gas up and work my arse off to get the big marks to get into UNSW or SYD, though they would be more convenient for me.
nothing beats the convenience of rolling out of bed at 8:45, walking 100m and going straight into your lecture :) lol - But yep i get what you mean.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I cant believe law is still only 95!

Also: interesting fact! Part of the reason Canberra was chosen as the Capital was because the wise old white founding fathers of the Commonwealth believed that the Anglo-Saxon mind could only thrive in colder climates.
Congratulations, ANU

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
I'm certainly a lot smarter now than when I was living in the tropics!

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
i damn well hope it is, cos its what i'm aiming for if i get 95. Otherwise i'll go into asian studies and try transfer into the double degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)