Worth doing JD at Melbourne Uni? (1 Viewer)

WannaBeLaw

HSC
hey guys, i'm preparing for the LSAT right now and it's not too bad. i'm more than happy to put the work in if it's worth it.

does anyone know much about the specific details on the course? i know it's 3 years, but how many contact hours would i be looking at? be great if it was only one day per week or so.

how much would i be looking at earning when i finish? i'd hope to one day own my own practice. i've heard about lawyers charging all kinds of crazy rates for their services. charging their clients if they don't answer their phone, charging them for the paper they use and even charging for the time it takes to get to their house.

these guys must be making a fortune right?

what are the big areas to make a lot of cash in law?

thanks guys, appreciate any help!

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
be great if it was only one day per week or so.
No. AFAIK it's 16 hours per week of actual classes (2 hours x 2 for each of your 4 classes), and a lot more on top of that of study and assessment. The workload is so intense, many JDs I know have difficulty holding down part time jobs on the side.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
please, for all our sakes, go into business.

WannaBeLaw

HSC
No. AFAIK it's 16 hours per week of actual classes (2 hours x 2 for each of your 4 classes), and a lot more on top of that of study and assessment. The workload is so intense, many JDs I know have difficulty holding down part time jobs on the side.
thanks for the reply.

why would i want to study business at uni?

WannaBeLaw

HSC
how much work would be required in the JD each week?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
WannaBeLaw said:
from the tone of your previous posts, it's probably the most suitable career path for your... mercenary nature.

law will not make you filthy rich, and this world is not in want of another dissatisfied lawyer.

WannaBeLaw

HSC
from the tone of your previous posts, it's probably the most suitable career path for your... mercenary nature.

law will not make you filthy rich, and this world is not in want of another dissatisfied lawyer.
mercenary nature ...lol?

isn't that how all lawyers are supposed to be?

BOSnewbie

HSC
thanks for the reply.

Now I see how money driven you are, I second the suggestion to study Business. Investment banking is a great place to be if you're after money, but the tradeoff is you have no life.

Also bear in mind that law students and lawyers have among the highest rates of depression of any profession.

HSC
Correct me If I'm wrong, but do dentists have the highest suicide rates of any profession?

WannaBeLaw

HSC
Now I see how money driven you are, I second the suggestion to study Business. Investment banking is a great place to be if you're after money, but the tradeoff is you have no life.

Also bear in mind that law students and lawyers have among the highest rates of depression of any profession.
if i did investment banking i'd need to work for a firm and never really be able to leave it.

that's why im looking at doing law.

anyone here been to melbourne uni?

HSC
N/A
Correct me If I'm wrong, but do dentists have the highest suicide rates of any profession?
the other user said 'among the highest'

he/she did not say the 'highest rate'.

if you don't know the difference between the two, i'd say law is not for you,
with statutory interpretation and all.

but you are right,
dentistry is up there.

HSC
N/A
if i did investment banking i'd need to work for a firm and never really be able to leave it.

that's why im looking at doing law.

you're going to fail if you are in it for the money.

be prepared to work 14-16 hour days, 6 days a week for many many years before making a significant amount.

I am not sure by what you mean when you say 'never really be able to leave it'.

do you mean tenure?

if you're at a top tier firm and have less than average performance, you'll get the sack sooner or later

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I do.

You might be able to make a lot of money in law once you get to the top, but that's not guaranteed and it takes a lot of years of hard work and effort to get there.

HSC
the other user said 'among the highest'

he/she did not say the 'highest rate'.

if you don't know the difference between the two, i'd say law is not for you,
with statutory interpretation and all.

but you are right,
dentistry is up there.
I had a good laugh at this.

1. It was a question, not a correction.
2. I'm not the OP. Your writing tone suggests you think I'm the OP ("i'd say law is not for you").

Last edited:

HSC
N/A
I had a good laugh at this.

1. It was a question, not a correction.
2. I'm not the OP. You're writing tone suggests you think I'm the OP ("i'd say law is not for you").
why are you in a law subforum?
did you just click on new posts lol.

and yeah, i was aware you're not the OP =)

dste6

HSC
I love how people think that law (and investment banking for that matter) is a golden ticket. You earn more in commercial law and banking because you work harder than virtually any other profession; the statement about 14-16 hour days is correct. People seldom realize that the hourly wage of lawyers is similar or lower than other professionals (until you become partner). Your earning more because your working longer.

The wisest thing anyone has ever said to me has been: 'No one has ever made real money by working a salary'

That might be hyperbole, but there's a lot of sense to it. If your goal is making money, get a job with reasonable hours and solid income, and spend that extra 6 hours a day on investment or entrepreneurship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)