Would a tablet be useful in Uni? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm looking at a Samsung Note 10.1 for most lessons for notes as my Macbook Pro is too heavy to carry around...Would it really be necessary? Or should I just stick to pen and paper

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I use a Macbook Air 13''. If its a degree with lots of writing then go for the tablet. If its a science/math/commerce degree, stick to pen and paper.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Realistically your laptop and pen/paper combo will be far more efficient. I use an iPad3 with stylus for taking notes sometimes and whilst it works ok, nothing beats the speed and ease of manual notes. That being said I found the key benefit was not losing your notes and the option to type rather than handwrite on the touch screen.

HSC
I have a 15" which I used at school a fair bit and it really was a pain to carry around haha but yeah probs dont really need it. Im looking at B Arts/Commerce

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Why would that be?? (for science and commerce)
Loads of diagrams and graphs are more conducive to being noted down with pen & paper as opposed to any form of digital input.

Bec Johnston

HSC
In business economics? I'll probably bring both paper and laptop just in case.

neontiger

HSC
In business economics? I'll probably bring both paper and laptop just in case.
First year economics at USYD is maths based and I found a pen and paper was way more useful than typing notes. If you type then it's more difficult to get down all the graphs and formulas. Plus, if you get a notebook for Eco, you can write your lecture notes for a week, followed by the corresponding tute's notes (which were always a set of maths-based exercises so you needed a notebook for that). For me, this made it so much easier when I was looking over notes for exams because I had the course content followed by the application of what we'd learnt.

funstudy

HSC
What about for psychology- pen/paper or laptop? Would it be wise to type up notes after each lecture, so that they are online for exam prep?

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
if you do humanities subjects a tablet/laptop is very useful for more than just note taking.

each week you will be assigned "readings" in mostly likely the form of PDF's for you to read before the next lecture/tutorial

some people print all of these readings out but that can be a pain and a tablet/laptop will enable you to read them on the go.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
if you do humanities subjects a tablet/laptop is very useful for more than just note taking.

each week you will be assigned "readings" in mostly likely the form of PDF's for you to read before the next lecture/tutorial

some people print all of these readings out but that can be a pain and a tablet/laptop will enable you to read them on the go.
That's true. It is useful for readings provided you have a way of taking notes of those readings and converting them into something you can study with later on. I found iAnnotate (and various other PDF editors) to be very useful for marking up documents which you can later print or use as the basis for writing notes.

Breeby

HSC
What about me? I kinda want to do comp sci. My government Lenovo is totally dead now.

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm looking at a Samsung Note 10.1 for most lessons for notes as my Macbook Pro is too heavy to carry around...Would it really be necessary? Or should I just stick to pen and paper
Nice. :p

Pen and paper would be better in most cases, but then note 10.1 is still amazing; lots of stuff in which the ipad can't do :)

D94

HSC
N/A
Tablet useful for engineering as well. There are many thick textbooks and PDF notes etc. so having it all in one device is rather convenient; you won't need to carry the textbooks and saves having to print off exercises for tutorials.

Rawf

HSC
I have a 15" which I used at school a fair bit and it really was a pain to carry around haha but yeah probs dont really need it. Im looking at B Arts/Commerce
Is this the newest pro's which are retina display and don't have an optical drive? they look pretty thin and light now o__o or is it the old macbook pros?

I was thinking of getting a 13" retina macbook pro for uni :(

Verify

HSC

Kindle is perfect in this situation :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)