Would u still do English (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Aquawhite said:
I'm pretty sure it is.... xD rofling.

Hence calling it English
english is not about the english language at all. we don't get taught to spell, how to use grammar properly or anything. we instead get taught to find meaning in texts that the authors admit is not there. so basically, we get taught to bullshit. highly useful.

sickk said:
it teaches you important skills that you take into the real world with you, more so than most HSC maths
one CHOOSES to do maths, but one is forced to do english. see the difference? you learn about maths because you're interested in it, you can just not do it if you don't want to, but english is forced down your throat, so too bad if your shit at it or hate it, face up to getting a crap atar and hating 20% of your hsc year [assuming you do ten units].

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Every HSC student MUST be doing at least 2 units of English. The lowest level of English you can do is Standard - therefore it's mandatory for anyone who doesn't want to do advanced.

Here's what I think:

English Advanced, Extension 1, Extension 2 SHOULD be counted towards the ATAR because by choosing a level of English that is of higher difficulty, you are showing that you want to improve and expand on your literacy skills and that you have the intelligence and diligence to work.

But then again, English Standard and English Advanced pretty much do the same stuff. So that leads to another question - If Standard and Advance did similar things, then why not also disregard Advanced from the ATAR? This question then leads to Extension 1.

English Standard, like a VET course, should be optional when it comes to counting the 2 units towards your ATAR as it is compulsory to do AT LEAST Standard English. Think of it this way, if you're failing, then stuff it don't make it count towards your ATAR. If you're doing exceptionally well, then make it count towards your ATAR or ask yourself this question "If I'm doing so well in Standard, why aren't I doing Advanced"

So yeah, I kinda take back my rage in the above post.

My post in a nutshell:

If you're only doing Standard - it should be optional to make it count towards the ATAR. If you're doing Advanced, Extension 1, Extension 2 - then it SHOULD count towards the ATAR.

/end useless rant.
the lowest level you can do is actually fundamentals of english.

and what if your school doesn't offer standard?

jameswillcox1

HSC

yes that is also true schools like merriwether high dont offer standard and we are forced to learn information and facts that are useless, unless we are going to become an english teacher or some form of writer will never use again, alot of brain power waisted

missgrace91

HSC
Of course i would!

I do 1U extension and I love it. Ext 2 would sound more appealing to me if it weren't held after school.

I find it facinating that you can try to understand what the writer was thinking at the time they composed their works.

I also like how SHAKESPEARE (such as The Merchant of Venice) can still be accepted today as a GOOD PLAY when only a few minor changes are made to how it is performed (like how it was on the 26th)

xoxo
Grace

jameswillcox1

HSC
Of course i would!

I do 1U extension and I love it. Ext 2 would sound more appealing to me if it weren't held after school.

I find it facinating that you can try to understand what the writer was thinking at the time they composed their works.

I also like how SHAKESPEARE (such as The Merchant of Venice) can still be accepted today as a GOOD PLAY when only a few minor changes are made to how it is performed (like how it was on the 26th)

xoxo
Grace

You sound as if you LIKE english what about those forced to learn it? How would u feel if they made maths compulsery? Would u disagree with that? I have a facination with maths because it is the universal language and has an answer that you can work out would you feel hard done by if they made maths compulsery?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
yes that is also true schools like merriwether high dont offer standard and we are forced to learn information and facts that are useless, unless we are going to become an english teacher or some form of writer will never use again, alot of brain power waisted
yeah my school [caringbah - cause it's selective and cause of the scaling and shit] only offers advanced. so i'm stuck doing some course i hate, and i get shit marks in it, even though my spelling, grammar and grasp of the english language is extremely good if i do say so myself, i fail to find made up meanings in texts, and don't have a vivid imagination when it comes to creative writing and there's nothing i can effing do about it.

jameswillcox1

HSC
if ur gonna do subjects based on usefulness afterschool, do languages
But after 11 years of English education for people born and raised in australia, dont you think that would be enough. And who exactly would find doing languages useful? Everyone would find Maths useful but not necessarily everyone would find languages especially "Text apreciation" that is the foundation of the English corse

missgrace91

HSC
You sound as if you LIKE english what about those forced to learn it? How would u feel if they made maths compulsery? Would u disagree with that? I have a facination with maths because it is the universal language and has an answer that you can work out would you feel hard done by if they made maths compulsery?
Well, yes, the statement "I do 1U extension and I love it" does imply that I like the subject.
I dislike Maths, but had I been forced to do it or not, I would still have it on my subject list (as it is) and I am pushing my way through the 2U course.

By arguing that English is necessary, I am not suggesting that Mathematics is worthless.

The bottom line is that there must be one subject common to all year 11 and 12 students for grading purposes and English was decided to be the most relevant.

xoxo
Grace

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
But after 11 years of English education for people born and raised in australia, dont you think that would be enough. And who exactly would find doing languages useful? Everyone would find Maths useful but not necessarily everyone would find languages especially "Text apreciation" that is the foundation of the English corse
You are an ignorant piece of shit.

sickk

HSC
There i disagree i believe that HSC maths is more important because it is a logical thinking subject that deals alot with problem solving. English doesn't seem to deal much with logic, its more interpritations and meaning that the teachers "find" in the text that the original composer hadn't even intended.

Maths on the other hand deals with real life problems that u will encounter, and example is the other day a girl in year 11 aproaced me with a problem she had sighned her self up to a bank accound and thought that she was about to double her money in interst. Its people like that who cannot manage money and get ripped off by other people because they cant do the simple calculations offered in general maths
This is a good representation of what i was talking about, your English skills allowed you to interpret your own meaning and challenge my argument. Its that kind of interpretation and logic that allowed you to build a cohesive argument. Even though you didnt intend to, your paragraph was structured almost as an essay, you had your thesis, you provided a valid point and backed it up with examples.

English allows you to effectively communicate to others, even though the content may seem like its not going anywhere (i agree belonging is a crock of shit), but the skills you develop along the way will help you in life and in the real world.

jameswillcox1

HSC
yeah my school [caringbah - cause it's selective and cause of the scaling and shit] only offers advanced. so i'm stuck doing some course i hate, and i get shit marks in it, even though my spelling, grammar and grasp of the english language is extremely good if i do say so myself, i fail to find made up meanings in texts, and don't have a vivid imagination when it comes to creative writing and there's nothing i can effing do about it.

Exactly my point, what about the people who cant find these "Meanings" in the texts or dont have a creative imagination, they are subjected to SUBJECTIVE marking. Plus i fail to see why Joe the plumber, John the piolt, chris the chef, paul the electrician, bob the mechanic, James the rocket sceintist would ever need the knowledge of how to write essays, hiden meanings in texts, why hamlet was crazy and litterary techniques BUT they will all need maths

PattieBoi

HSC

Yeah but to do Fundamentals of English, you have to be doing English Standard (well that's how it goes at my school anyway)

What if your school doesn't offer Standard?

Well how about - instead of bitching about how useless English (Advanced) is, why not put some sort of effort in improvising your skills?

There's a reason why we all have to do English. That's to continue and improve on our literacy skills. Think about it, even electrical engineers, doctors, aeronautical engineers would have to do some sort of essay or thesis in their career. This is when studying English comes in.

Personally, I think English is more useful than Mathematics.

charlie91

HSC
i'd drop it right now if i could, i hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it, :(, but maths and science are soooooooooooo much better (only when i get good marks though)

jameswillcox1

HSC
This is a good representation of what i was talking about, your English skills allowed you to interpret your own meaning and challenge my argument. Its that kind of interpretation and logic that allowed you to build a cohesive argument. Even though you didnt intend to, your paragraph was structured almost as an essay, you had your thesis, you provided a valid point and backed it up with examples.

English allows you to effectively communicate to others, even though the content may seem like its not going anywhere (i agree belonging is a crock of shit), but the skills you develop along the way will help you in life and in the real world.
But should we not have attained this knowledge by year 10??? If we can leave in year this assumes that we should be able to communicate, it means we should be able to write a cohesive argument and be able to interpret meaning into argument!

PattieBoi

HSC
But should we not have attained this knowledge by year 10??? If we can leave in year this assumes that we should be able to communicate, it means we should be able to write a cohesive argument and be able to interpret meaning into argument!
But by studying English in senior years, you are FURTHER improving these skills that you would have attained by Year 10.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
@jameswillcox1

Go complain to Board of Studies.

/thread

missgrace91

HSC
Now Now Fortify, Don't get too savage.

Although Willcox, not the best statement. "who would find languages useful?" Shall we dump you in the centre of France and see how long you last?

However, one of the numerous benefits of the English course is that it allows you to practice HOW you argue your point of view (Fortify may need to take note?)
xoxo
Grace

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
How so? I have not resorted to swearing? I am simply assitaning peoples view points on English as a subject and arguing my point of view
By saying, "who exactly would find doing languages useful?" is almost the same as who cares about other cultures/languages/countries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)