Would you join a political party? (2 Viewers)

Would you join a political party

• Yes-Liberal

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Yes-Labor

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Yes-Greens

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Yes-legalise cannbis

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • yes-other

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • no

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters

Smile_Time351

HSC
And that in itself makes them fence sitters given the subtext of the thread- that being a discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of Australia's prominent political parties. Certainly politics is not for everyone, but given the vehemence of the arguees on this thread, we should all at least be independents...

As to Random's argument- it was rather blond- I mean blind. He did express outrage at the generalisation of politics... and then proceeded to generalise politics! The mind boggles.

Personally I find that the aforementioned 'fence sitters' (for lack of a better term) are missing the point somewhat in their idealism. Certainly the system is rather crap, and joining a political party is kind of a 'best of a bad bunch' situation- hence why I personally chose Greens in the above poll- deciding to be apolitical because all the parties suck, while admirable in its uncompromising absolutism does not solve anything in and of itself. Better to become part of the system in order to fix it then resign oneself to political apathy.

Failing that, we could always just bring back the Communist party... Unite Comrades! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
There are a lot of libertarians in the YLs (like myself) - though I don't know what the situation in WA, we're coming out of the woodwork in NSW, and are in majority in VIC.
You're not really a Libertarian, Cat. You're incredibly socially liberal, vaguely economically liberal and a down-right statist when it comes to the environment.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Australia does need a bill of rights. I believe it to be consistent - and necessary - that any proper deontological libertarian should seek to impose proper constitutional limits on its government's so called 'mandate'.

The judiciary should be the sole arbiter of these rights.
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Random_dude

HSC
Re: Would you join a poltical party

sorry?! what does Rudd's wife's fashion sense or 'body shape' have anything to do with politics? or what makes a good or bad politician? or what differentiates liberal from labor?!

sorry, but that is, to use your own words, "the most arrogant, ignorant and incredibly blind statement" i've ever heard.
i am sooo sorry i do not have a freakin' degree in political studies! i may have generalised it a little as it would have become a gigantic freakin' essay on politics!!

also, the wife of leaders in governments ruled by the 'public' (gag) are directly linked to the public image of the leader. if she is a bogan, we think he is a bogan. this is all thanks to the majority of idiots who are outspoken and think image is everything. so as to have a proper public relationship, he must have a beautiful, well-mannered wife (rolls eyes and sighs). but it just makes it better as i am making fun of the Labor party as well. :)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Re: Would you join a poltical party

i am sooo sorry i do not have a freakin' degree in political studies! i may have generalised it a little as it would have become a gigantic freakin' essay on politics!!
I dunno. The term 'essay' implies you would be writing something insightful, intelligent or interesting, when in fact your posts so far have displayed none of these qualities.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Australia does need a bill of rights. I believe it to be consistent - and necessary - that any proper deontological libertarian should seek to impose proper constitutional limits on its government's so called 'mandate'.

The judiciary should be the sole arbiter of these rights.
Can't it be argued, though, that common law, as determined by the judiciary, effectively acts to protect the rights of the individual?

And why should the judiciary, an unelected body, be given the power to determine the exact explicit rights of the individual, dictated through a proposed bill of rights? Doesn't this simply risk the politicisation of the judiciary, eventuating in it's futility as an arm of government?

Jack Burton

ninja of the world
HSC
joining a political party is for noobs, when they are in power they do the same thing as the last guy just change the names of everything.

im gunna vote for the guy that makes the best promises cause then he might follow through with one of them.

pman

Banned
HSC
some people join political parties to make a difference although these a few and far between, it provides an increased opertunity of making parliament though and this causes corrupt, money thirsting politicians to joijn them!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
some people join political parties to make a difference although these a few and far between, it provides an increased opertunity of making parliament though and this causes corrupt, money thirsting politicians to joijn them!
Amazing. Heh.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You're not really a Libertarian, Cat. You're incredibly socially liberal, vaguely economically liberal and a down-right statist when it comes to the environment.
If the Taliban say I'm Libertarian it must be so.

HSC
joining a political party is for noobs, when they are in power they do the same thing as the last guy just change the names of everything.

im gunna vote for the guy that makes the best promises cause then he might follow through with one of them.
Any politician that gets in essentially makes 'the best promises', according to the people who vote for them.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
And that in itself makes them fence sitters given the subtext of the thread- that being a discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of Australia's prominent political parties. Certainly politics is not for everyone, but given the vehemence of the arguees on this thread, we should all at least be independents...

As to Random's argument- it was rather blond- I mean blind. He did express outrage at the generalisation of politics... and then proceeded to generalise politics! The mind boggles.

Personally I find that the aforementioned 'fence sitters' (for lack of a better term) are missing the point somewhat in their idealism. Certainly the system is rather crap, and joining a political party is kind of a 'best of a bad bunch' situation- hence why I personally chose Greens in the above poll- deciding to be apolitical because all the parties suck, while admirable in its uncompromising absolutism does not solve anything in and of itself. Better to become part of the system in order to fix it then resign oneself to political apathy.

Failing that, we could always just bring back the Communist party... Unite Comrades! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Mmm i think your aiming a bit low.

I'm only going to be on this Earth for a short time, why should I settle for a system I don't like? It's a big, wide world out there and my political spectrum is not limited to "JOINING A POLITICAL PARTY WAHOO SMASH DOWN THE CHAMPAZ!" on one side, and "I don't give a fuck about politics" on the other.

I do give a fuck about philosophy and politics, but I don't like the current situation of Australian politics. If you're idealistic you might not achieve your end goal, but you might get half way.

Also, random_dude, you mightn't like my opinion but it least it had a political basis of some depth, as opposed to ranting about Therese Rein's weight issues.

U

Ubik

Politics, lobbying and activism exists outside of the drudgery of the party system.

You can be politically active without compromising your beliefs and associating yourself with the disgusting soulless machine men, social conservatives and other scum that are the heart of the major Australian political parties.

No party of any relevance will publicly endorse serious reform towards social liberalism, so fuck em'.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
ill join no politicial organisation that would have me as a member

On the billofrights - the hc reads all sorts of nifty things into the constitution that protects essential liberties. I prefer to keep legal rights organic rather than stagnant. The US is operating on a bunch of rules written over 200yrs ago in very specific circumstances that do more harm than good today

Last edited:

pman

Banned
HSC
ill join no politicial organisation that would have me as a member

On the billofrights - the hc reads all sorts of nifty things into the constitution that protects essential liberties. I prefer to keep legal rights organic rather than stagnant. The US is operating on a bunch of rules written over 200yrs ago in very specific circumstances that do more harm than good today
things like the right to bear arms, or even tor arm bears

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes it is. Africans, Arabs and Asians have no interest in your self-obsessed individualism. Many value the community good over their individual desires and this is morally sound

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Well said.

I'm personally not against a Bill of Rights, because I realise it wouldn't need to follow the American model. I'm just not convinced we need one. Not least of all because of the way the HC has operated throughout Australian history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)