Would you perform better typing answers? (1 Viewer)

E

Effekt

I don't know about anyone else but i am a hell of a slow writer and when i type things they seem to be more logical/technical. I function better knowing i can easily write something then all it takes to change an idea is hit 'backspace' and not have to worry about messing up your page.

So this poses the question, Would you perform better if you were allowed to type your answers? This is mainly aimed at English exams and all other subject that require some form of essay response. This would also help massively with time limits, It's not fair that people who are not capable of writing fast are limited with their essay responses.

Because you know, our year wasn't good enough to receive laptops from the stupid government.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, if you start typing - are you then discriminating against those who can't type as fast as you?

HSC
N/A
Hahaha
Speed of writing depends on how legible my essay will be :p
But no i dont think so, my drafts are always hand written first and if you practice enough im sure your speed would improve.

And i was outraged that we didn't get laptops .. we were only doing our HSC and shitt.

But ithink from nxt year's year 10 will have to use their laptops to sit the HSC, everything will be electronic.

(Also outraged that from next year onwards they don't have to sit their SC, even if they cant leave til they are 17 or have a job)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I'd go much better if I could type, would get a lot more done as well.

That being said, it should always be a handwritten exam.

E

Effekt

Well, if you start typing - are you then discriminating against those who can't type as fast as you?
Typing is a skill that anyone can improve. Writing on the other hand some people like me just can't write fast unless it's scribble.

Alkanes

HSC
Hmm wonder how this would work for maths :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Typing is a skill that anyone can improve. Writing on the other hand some people like me just can't write fast unless it's scribble.
I'm sure you can write fast, you just have to learn the skill.

E

Effekt

I'm sure you can write fast, you just have to learn the skill.
I don't know, the way i hold my pen is weird but it's comfortable for me. I tried to change my grip but it was just scribble and you couldn't make out any letters.
Besides when you write fast don't you get a sore wrist?

HSC
N/A
fuck no, i would do so shit!

yeah i have messy handwriting but its just easier for me to write on paper than to type up on a computer.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would perform poorer if typed. I can make quite alot of typos and seriously, electronic exams are absolutely stupid.

You can't make someone type since it's not a conventional method and not everyone can practice typing frequently. Writing on the other hand, is the conventional way and anybody can practice writing at any time they wish.

Last edited:

rainydays

HSC
Typing would be great for me. I've always been a slow writer but all this practice over the last 2 years has improved my speed. I don't think I could stand the sound of 100 people typing all at once though, it would drive me crazy.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Personally no, I can type faster than I write, but I think while I write, but not while I type tbh

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
There is a boy at our school that is allowed to type because his handwriting is literally illegible! I think it is unfair, as he gets the same amount of time, and I can type twice as fast as I can write! :(

stevey6404

HSC
If typing ever occurred, I'm sure they would impose a word limit or else the markers would be reading like 10,000 words essays, especially for people who can type fast.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah I think typing would discriminate, idk but I touch type to an insane degree. I'd feel sorry for 95% of the state if we had to type, especially with people who prefer writing. e.g. we have laptops at school but I find I'm one of the only few in classes to even use them.

Also, does anyone feel weird when they use an unfamiliar computer? I'm pretty sure I would typo every second word, they obviously wouldn't let us use our own computers or we could do stuff to it idk. + technical error = fucked.

Also, you'd have to use the backspace or select or whatever to delete a line etc. = just annoying.

deebsm

HSC
Also if we typed... wouldn't our essays be like 100x better because of the synonyms :p Also I wish that when we write that a green squiggly line or red squiggly line would pop up just to tell us to change word. Wouldn't this make life soooo much easier... :p

D94

HSC
N/A
Also if we typed... wouldn't our essays be like 100x better because of the synonyms :p Also I wish that when we write that a green squiggly line or red squiggly line would pop up just to tell us to change word. Wouldn't this make life soooo much easier... :p
If it were to happen, they would definitely not do it on MS Word...most likely some program which doesn't allow you to Alt+Tab or effectively cheat.

Bloodstriker

HSC
1.BOS would have some specially made word-processing program with no alt + tab/spellchecker
2. Time limit would have to be reduced at least 50%

I totally fail if i'm not using the keyboard on my comp though, i have to actually look at the keyboard sometimes :/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't know, the way i hold my pen is weird but it's comfortable for me. I tried to change my grip but it was just scribble and you couldn't make out any letters.
Besides when you write fast don't you get a sore wrist?
No, I get sore arms or hands after a while - but it's something a few seconds of rest will heal. Just get a better pen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)