Would you reccomend doing maths extension 2? (1 Viewer)

Timb0

HSC
Title says it all. I have just started year 12, but have completed 2 unit and extension one maths by acceleration, so had final exams today and tomorrow. I now have the option of picking up extension 2 maths, but am not sure whether to do it or not. I have lots of natural ability in maths (got 95% on School Certificate with minimal study) but over the last year my marks have gone down as I haven't been putting in much effort until recent, when it finally kicked in how important it all is. Since then my marks have gone from 70-80% to 90+% (91% in the trial) and around 60% for extension 1.

I am also doing physics, chemistry, legal studies and advanced english. Only 8 units as I've already finished 3 of maths. It is pretty tempting just to keep the 8 units and focus just on them.

Thoughts?

The Nomad

HSC
Well, to be honest with 60% in extension 1, it's probably better you just keep the 8 units you have now. Plus doing the 4U course will only count as one extra unit, but will take ALOT of time which is better spent studying your other subjects.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
To be honest, and seriously please don't take offense, but I think 60% in ext 1 maths indicates that your results are not sufficient enough to succeed in Ext 2 maths.

Ext 2 may scale well, but this only matters if you do well enough in it, which will be quite difficult especially with those marks.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I want to be open and hoest. I wish you luck in your HSC no matter what you decision.

Hope I helped.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Well, to be honest with 60% in extension 1, it's probably better you just keep the 8 units you have now. Plus doing the 4U course will only count as one extra unit, but will take ALOT of time which is better spent studying your other subjects.
Uh 4unit is the highest scaling subject there is, if he goes well then 4unit counts as 2unit and his 2unit mark counts as 0 units making his 3unit mark count as 2units.
To be honest, and seriously please don't take offense, but I think 60% in ext 1 maths indicates that your results are not sufficient enough to succeed in Ext 2 maths.

Ext 2 may scale well, but this only matters if you do well enough in it, which will be quite difficult especially with those marks.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I want to be open and hoest. I wish you luck in your HSC no matter what you decision.

Hope I helped.
Uhhh i averaged 60% in prelim and got E4
my mate averages 35% in prelim and got e4
the people who smashed me in prelim got smashed in hsc

theres no reason why he can't do it, his internal exams may be hard hence why he only gets 60%

Timb0

HSC
I appreciate all your thoughts and concern that 60% is probably not good enough. I believe I could do much better as like i said, it only really kicked in how important it all is towards the end of this year, and by that stage I had done very little work throughout the year, and was extremely unorganised which made it really hard to learn it all for the trials etc.
I've got it all pretty good now and found the exam today fairly straightforward and easy (except for a couple of parts :p).

If I am motivated from day one and actually put the effort in (which I am planning to at this stage) I think it should be alright... Maybe...

Puttah

HSC
I was in roughly your position too. In the beginning of year 11 I got 60% in our first ext 1 exam. Now, don't get me wrong, I do have natural talent and wasn't the hardest worker there is, but this mark (however low it sounds) was pretty much the best mark there was, by quite a large margin too.

Giving us your rank would also help :)

Oh and I would definitely recommend picking up ext 2. Just give it a taste. The complex numbers at the start can be a bit daunting but this would probably be the most difficult time you'll have in the course. Seriously, if you stick it out and don't let the crazy math equations in later chapters get the better of you, you'll do great. Especially considering you have natural talent as well.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
If you like maths, then you should definitely do it, if not, its probably not worth it.
ps, will you repeat 3unit if you do 4unit?

lychnobity

HSC
I would definitely recommend picking up ext 2. Just give it a taste. The complex numbers at the start can be a bit daunting but this would probably be the most difficult time you'll have in the course. Seriously, if you stick it out and don't let the crazy math equations in later chapters get the better of you, you'll do great. Especially considering you have natural talent as well.
My thoughts exactly.

Don't go in with hesitation. Don't be the kid that says "I'll try it, and if it's too hard, I'll drop it" - they've nearly always been the ones that didn't try, and probably could have completed the course satisfactorily had they bothered to or cared enough.

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
pretty sure 95% in sc maths doesnt mean anything.
ext 2 isnt really very hard. do some past papers and ur sweet. The annoying part of ext 2 is if you have classes outside school hours.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
see, all the kids who did 4unit in '09 probably started off being all OMG THJIS WILL BE SO HARD I THINK ILL DROP MAYEB etc. etc.

but ask any of them and they'll say it's overrated

kwabon

Banned
HSC
4 unit is not hard.
there is no correlation between the marks u get in 3 unit and 4 unit.
4 unit is a whole new different subject, do it, and if you like it keep it, and if you dont drop it.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
4U makes your 3U just that much better, you through much more algebriac style Q and such topics as Integration, which is revisited, are extended upon and makes 3U integration childs play. TRUST US, DOIT DOIT DOIT.

The Nomad

HSC
Uh 4unit is the highest scaling subject there is, if he goes well then 4unit counts as 2unit and his 2unit mark counts as 0 units making his 3unit mark count as 2units.

Uhhh i averaged 60% in prelim and got E4
my mate averages 35% in prelim and got e4
the people who smashed me in prelim got smashed in hsc

theres no reason why he can't do it, his internal exams may be hard hence why he only gets 60%
Either way, he has already completed 3 units of maths. If he does 4U, he would have completed 4 units by the end of next year, which is only an extra unit of maths for so much work. Ofcourse I haven't considered scaling.

Has anyone actually taken into account that he has his whole HSC this year? Whether a good mark scales him well or not...he needs to take into account how much time he'll spend studying it. Getting 100% in 4U is useless if he ends up doing badly in his other subjects.

So that begs the question, what marks are you aiming for, Timb0?

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Either way, he has already completed 3 units of maths. If he does 4U, he would have completed 4 units by the end of next year, which is only an extra unit of maths for so much work. Ofcourse I haven't considered scaling.

Has anyone actually taken into account that he has his whole HSC this year? Whether a good mark scales him well or not...he needs to take into account how much time he'll spend studying it. Getting 100% in 4U is useless if he ends up doing badly in his other subjects.

So that begs the question, what marks are you aiming for, Timb0?
Do you have any idea of how many people did 3U maths last year, repeated 3U as well as picked up 4U this year and smashed not only their maths exams but are also going very well in their other exams?

shaon0

HSC
lol. I took MX2 up so i didn't have to do much work for the subject that would have counted ie. SOR 1. And, MX2's not that bad if your okay at maths. I was getting 50% in Prelims and i'll probably get an E4 for MX2.

Timb0

HSC
I'm hoping for a UAI of over 95. Rank doesn't really come into play at my school as for 3 unit this year there was 2 people in my class (small country school) and as I really didn't put the effort in early in the year I am coming second, (but beat the other person in the last few tests including trial since I started studying). I am not really interested in repeating 3 unit unless you guys really think it would be worthwhile? I found the exam fairly straightforward yesterday and I think i did pretty well.
I have my first 4 unit lesson next Tuesday :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)