Would you take a one-way ticket to Mars? (1 Viewer)

Would you take a one-way ticket to Mars?

• Total voters

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-12/life-on-mars/5519660

Thought it's a pretty interesting idea. Would you take a one-way ticket to Mars?

I probably wouldn't - I have too much I want to achieve on Earth but one day I would like to see space travel become a thing (with the proviso I can come back to Earth of course).

Also all those horror movies like Event Horizon where 1 guy goes nuts and kills everyone and eats their eyes and shit has made me extra-concerned about moving planets.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I would, the way I see it is that people would want you to breed up there... I'm sure it wouldn't be a lone expedition... just as long as there's some pretty girls... :)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I would, the way I see it is that people would want you to breed up there... I'm sure it wouldn't be a lone expedition... just as long as there's some pretty girls... :)
Hahaha can you sound more desperate :haha:

The plan is to send 4 people first, and then send more over the years.

enoilgam

HSC
I wouldnt mainly because the mission hasnt really been well thought out - if you get sick or injured, you're pretty much going to be left to suffer out there (there might be a doctor on the mission, but there is no way they could provide comprehensive medical care). In addition, the psychological aspects of this kind of a mission havent been fully or properly explored.

That being said, I'd love to be a part of it as a test Astronaut for all the equipment and stuff. Apollo's 7 through 10 dont get the glamour, but without them, numbers 11 - 17 would never have made it.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I wouldnt mainly because the mission hasnt really been well thought out - if you get sick or injured, you're pretty much going to be left to suffer out there (there might be a doctor on the mission, but there is no way they could provide comprehensive medical care). In addition, the psychological aspects of this kind of a mission havent been fully or properly explored.

That being said, I'd love to be a part of it as a test Astronaut for all the equipment and stuff.
IIRC they're training the team so that all 4 of them will become literal rocket scientists and engineers, 1 extraterrestrial botany expert, 1 extraterrestrial mineral expert, and 1 medical expert.

Seems interesting and makes me wish I was born 200 years later so it could just happen and I can go into space. God I love space.

enoilgam

HSC
IIRC they're training the team so that all 4 of them will become literal rocket scientists and engineers, 1 extraterrestrial botany expert, 1 extraterrestrial mineral expert, and 1 medical expert.

Seems interesting and makes me wish I was born 200 years later so it could just happen and I can go into space. God I love space.
The thing is, issues that could be minor on earth will be a much bigger deal on Mars. If someone breaks a leg or arm, the lack of imaging technology or the ability to operate could render that person crippled - which is bad if there are only four on the mission. Then what happens when people die - where will they be buried? It seems pretty simple, but ample precautions would need to be taken to prevent biological life from entering the Martian atmosphere. I'm not sure of the reason for this, but I know that when probes touch down on a planet, they are prepared in clean rooms to prevent biological contamination.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Think about it, you will go down in the history books as a pioneer... a person who braved the impossible and settled Mars... It would make Captain James Cook looks like an 8 year old with a BMX going to the corner shop...

and you will probably be asked to breed as well... :lol:

astroman

HSC
consuming food made of each others recycled piss and shit doesn't seem appealing to me at first but i guess the 8 month trip to Mars would leave you with no other choice but to make the most of what you've got.

Fiction

HSC
No :c I mean I'll be so paranoid that I can't go back. I've also had this nightmare since I was a kid, of falling for eternity in space, or somehow getting lost.

Besides, the thought of seeing earth which has literally surrounded me since I was born, is both fascinating and incredibly creepy.

astroman

HSC
i've always loved space and space travel, and always want and still dream of becoming an astronaut, but the perception of a manned mission to Mars is just too big an over statement for 21st century technology. Building a rocket big enough in the first place to hold dozens of people, supply food and water and collect waste for an 8 month journey is way off the scope of modern technology IMO.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Nah.

I would just use that money to buy a return orbit trip to space.

Who cares about Mars. Been there done that. I already told you guys I'm an LGM.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
i've always loved space and space travel, and always want and still dream of becoming an astronaut, but the perception of a manned mission to Mars is just too big an over statement for 21st century technology. Building a rocket big enough in the first place to hold dozens of people, supply food and water and collect waste for an 8 month journey is way off the scope of modern technology IMO.
The mission is planned for 4 people as a start though, and planned to not actually even start for another decade at least. I think they're serious about it and they're going to make it happen :haha:

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Yes and when I get there I will claim Mars as my own by right of conquest

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
consuming food made of each others recycled piss and shit doesn't seem appealing to me at first but i guess the 8 month trip to Mars would leave you with no other choice but to make the most of what you've got.
The food you eat now can be traced back to recycled piss and shit.

The earlier you go to Mars the better, look at the Wong family in futurama. They became rich enough to build an intersellar mini golf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)