Would you trade your HECS debt for a volunteer Youth Corps? (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24972830-661,00.html

KEVIN Rudd wants to recruit an army of young volunteers to help the elderly, feed the homeless, and clean up the environment.

In exchange for giving up their time, members of the new Community Corps would get discounts on their university HECS debts. The proposal could attract tens of thousands of volunteers from the 1.3 million Australians with a higher education debt.

The average ex-student has a $12,000 HECS debt, which typically takes more than seven years to pay off.

The scheme could wipe out students' debts as they accumulate hours of community service, the Herald Sun reports.

The plan, backed by top business minds and embraced by community and welfare groups, emerged from the Prime Minister's 2020 summit.

The Government is expected to adopt it within days when it releases its final 2020 summit report.

Mr Rudd, who has pleaded for Australians to pull together to beat the rapidly worsening economic downturn, has described the idea as "a very practical trade".

Corps members could deliver meals on wheels, youth and Aboriginal services, become volunteer firefighters, or assist the disabled and elderly. Landcare and water projects could also benefit.

It is understood the Corps would operate within Australia, unlike the US Peace Corps, which works on projects across the globe.

The plan is believed to be one of about six big ideas from the 2020 summit to get the green light.

After the summit, Mr Rudd said: "We need more volunteering in the community, and students are emerging from university with a whole lot of debt.

"The idea . . . where young people would go out and provide voluntary service in the community in exchange for reducing their HECS debt . . . is one we want to consider."

Brotherhood of St Lawrence chief executive Tony Nicholson said there would be plenty for Community Corps members to do.

"It could range from assisting with recreational programs to driving a community bus, to assisting disadvantaged people get to the doctor or do their shopping," he said.

Mr Nicholson said those with special skills, such as IT graduates, would be particularly useful.

When the idea was floated at the summit, the architect of the Higher Education Contribution Scheme, Prof Bruce Chapman, said it would appeal to wealthier students. Poorer students, he said, would probably prefer to enter the paid workforce.
I've been critical of Rudd in the past, but I think this idea has legs. The rate of reduction is still to be published but it looks a pretty fair trade-off to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jellybelly08

HSC
The average ex-student has a $12,000 HECS debt, which typically takes more than seven years to pay off
Damn i'm gonna have about double that amount.

Like you said it really depends on how long they want you to volunteer. But I guess in this financial crisis it'll give something for us finance/commerce grads to do :p

HSC
Yep sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

A nice way of getting financial benefits, gaining experience and looking like a do-gooder all at once.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
In a heartbeat.

a) Less debt
b) I like volunteering

I hope it's implemented in time for this year's semesters.

decypher

HSC
My participation would depend on how much debt was cleared every hour. If 1 hour of volunteering cleared $15 of debt then it wouldn't be worth it because you can easily earn more than that by working for that hour and using the money to pay the debt.

It's a good idea is theory, but this may turn out to be poorly executed.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Kevin stole this idea from....... somewhere
I thinkkk they have a similar system is some parts of the US or Europe.
Yes, Im aware thats fairly broad, but I've also heard of it somewhere else. Hm. berbgoogle.

Decypher;
I agree. Its a very, very, very good idea, but it'll have to be marketed and executed in a fashion that makes it actually appealing and worthwhile for students.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
lol no he got it from the 20/20 summit thingo. some uni kids were like "we dont like having a $12k average debt, let us do volunteer work to get rid of it

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'd probably extinguish my debt quicker by doing real work. If this is the case, then no.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Depends how many hours vs. rate of HECS being wiped.

$12'000 isn't that much money. I could easily spend the hours I spend volunteering in a real job and pay it off quick smart.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Also the fact that the average person takes 7 years to pay it off reflects just how tiny an amount they actually garnish.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah, it's pretty deceptive to say
"The average ex-student has a $12,000 HECS debt, which typically takes more than seven years to pay off."

It only takes seven years because students pay the minimum amount possible. Even on the minimum wage you can easily pay off $12'000 in a year. It's not expensive.

Unless my HECs debt will be slashed at a rate of $50/hour, fuck the volunteering scheme. Getting an actual job and having flexibility in how I spend my earnings and time is a far better deal.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, it's pretty deceptive to say
"The average ex-student has a $12,000 HECS debt, which typically takes more than seven years to pay off."

It only takes seven years because students pay the minimum amount possible. Even on the minimum wage you can easily pay off $12'000 in a year. It's not expensive.

Unless my HECs debt will be slashed at a rate of $50/hour, fuck the volunteering scheme. Getting an actual job and having flexibility in how I spend my earnings and time is a far better deal.
Dude on the minimum wage they don't take anything. It doesn't kick in until you earn over 40 something K. Yet more fodder for retarded trots "PEOPLE WILL GO TO THEIR GRAVES WITHOUT PAYING OFF THEIR HEC DEBT :( :( :( :spzz:"

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Dude on the minimum wage they don't take anything. It doesn't kick in until you earn over 40 something K. Yet more fodder for retarded trots "PEOPLE WILL GO TO THEIR GRAVES WITHOUT PAYING OFF THEIR HEC DEBT :( :( :( :spzz:"
Or just move to the Bahamas, and relinquish your permanent place of abode here.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Depends how many hours vs. rate of HECS being wiped.
No it doesn't. The type of people will take up this offer won't be looking at it as an alternative to paying off HECS via a job, rather as a way to get rid of an annoying debt whilst doing something 'good'.

If you don't want to do it because you'd rather work, fine. Don't phrase your attitude to the scheme as an outright repudiation, though.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You could always work a job part-time/full-time or casual and volunteer in your spare time. You'll probably pay off your HECs quicker and get more flexibility allowing you to volunteer somewhere you really care about.

proringz

HSC
It's not like they're relinquishing the debt anyways - it says it's only a discount of your HECS debt.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
There shouldn't be any doubt that the amount the government will reduce your HECS by will be far less than the amount you'd earn per hour applying your skills elsewhere, otherwise it would be far more cost effective for them just to hire unskilled workers and pay them upfront to do the work. The NUS are a pack of fucking scumbags, however, and if they reject this policy it will just prove that they don't actually care about contributing back to the community.

EDIT: David Barrow is a thief, and almost as big a crook as his predecessor.

EDIT2: HEAVEN FORBID THE RICH GO OUT THERE AND WORK FOR $5/hr IN A FUCKING SOUP KITCHEN.

Greedy cunts. Fight the power. Fuck the system.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)