Writer's cramp/handwriting issues (1 Viewer)

necessarahli

HSC
So, 6 days before the HSC, I've come across a huge problem. I think i have writer's cramp, my handwriting is so bad that it's actually uncontrollable. I did a full paper yesterday without 'warming up' I guess, and now it's been numb for a day and it was feeling a little weird while I was practising piano this morning but I just ignored it and kept going. What do I do? My writing is so bad, like it was already not great before this happened but now it's actually unreadable.
Anyone got any tips?

sida1049

HSC
Bear with it. While asking for special provision may seem enticing, chances are, without a credible proof (e.g. doctor's recommendation), you'd be turned down.

I have a strong suspicion that you are pressing down way unnecessarily hard on your pen. I tend to do this as well, and now have had to deal with a bothersome blister on my thumb for over a year now because I simply can't stop (e.g. if I wrote lighter, my handwriting would be notably worse). The first thing I'd recommend is to press down lighter, just slightly. If possible, try to experiment with the way you hold your pen.

I also strongly recommend to get a new set of pens; ones that are somewhat oily and need barely any pressure to for the ink to adhere to the paper. I have a special set of pens for exams because it saves me from needing to trace over my words, and makes my handwriting a little easier to read plus less pressure required. For the HSC preparation, I've been using a very specific type of Jetstream pens which run out of ink quite fast, but doesn't tire my hand or exacerbate my blisters.

Paperclip83

HSC
N/A
Bear with it. While asking for special provision may seem enticing, chances are, without a credible proof (e.g. doctor's recommendation), you'd be turned down.

I have a strong suspicion that you are pressing down way unnecessarily hard on your pen. I tend to do this as well, and now have had to deal with a bothersome blister on my thumb for over a year now because I simply can't stop (e.g. if I wrote lighter, my handwriting would be notably worse). The first thing I'd recommend is to press down lighter, just slightly. If possible, try to experiment with the way you hold your pen.

I also strongly recommend to get a new set of pens; ones that are somewhat oily and need barely any pressure to for the ink to adhere to the paper. I have a special set of pens for exams because it saves me from needing to trace over my words, and makes my handwriting a little easier to read plus less pressure required. For the HSC preparation, I've been using a very specific type of Jetstream pens which run out of ink quite fast, but doesn't tire my hand or exacerbate my blisters.
Hi!
Would you be able to give any examples of what kind of pens you use? I have the same problem; my handwriting is absolutely atrocious :(

Flop21

HSC
Hellooo, I currently have a fucked up hand as well right now. Not cramps, something is torn or some shit because I can't write or move it much because it hurts so bad.

So bloody hell take care of your hand. Stop your piano, jesus christ stop anything that is repetitive, just stop. DON'T IGNORE WEIRD TINGLING OR WEIRD PAINS. You've literally got 6 days until HSC, you can't afford a fked up hand.

Take it very slow and be very carefull. Make sure you have good ergonomics when sitting down, make sure your chair isn't too low. You keep aggravating whatever is going on, you're going to cause damage, potentially tearing something or just inflaming crap which will take weeks to heal.

There is gel you can get from chemist called 'anti-inflammatory pain relief gel'. Might help your cramps. Tingling, sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Oh god I'm scared to continue practicing essays now hahaha

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
I think my artery is blocked... When my hand is in a downward position i feel blood just there

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Lads, if you have cramps, chow down on some magnesium. I run upwards of 70km a week and that shit is a god send. Will work guaranteed.

sida1049

HSC
Hi!
Would you be able to give any examples of what kind of pens you use? I have the same problem; my handwriting is absolutely atrocious :(
To the left is my revision pen and my handwriting with it. To the right is my exam pen and with a sample of my handwriting from an English assessment. They are of the same essay and page.

20151006_212609-1-min.jpg

I buy the pens from whatever newsagency I can find; they are both pretty common. I also have a black variant of the pen to the right, if in the HSC they demand me to use black ink.

(And yes, I finished the essay to the right quicker.)

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Go to a doctor and get it checked.

Have a physical rest from studying - try reading the notes for a day or two to let your hand rest - try writing with the other hand for a day or so - will be slower but as you are the only person who will be reading it and if writing helps you learn it will do both but just differently.

Take a break from the piano for the rest of the HSC - a few weeks without practice won't affect your ability all that much and you can build it up quite quickly after the HSC.

Use the RICER approach as well.

necessarahli

HSC
Lol so turns out I've damaged the nerves in my neck from weeks of bad posture while studying which has subsequently made my hand numb as fuck to the point I can't even grip a pen properly. Cool. I'm getting an MRI soon (guess it'll help with my Med Phys knowledge?) but I have no idea what I'm going to do on Monday and Tuesday haha

sida1049

HSC
Lol so turns out I've damaged the nerves in my neck from weeks of bad posture while studying which has subsequently made my hand numb as fuck to the point I can't even grip a pen properly. Cool. I'm getting an MRI soon (guess it'll help with my Med Phys knowledge?) but I have no idea what I'm going to do on Monday and Tuesday haha
Woah dude, alright I take back what I've said before. You definitely should ask for special provision. That's pretty hardcore...

Wish you the best of luck though, I'm sure everything will work out; they won't force you to sit your exams with such a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Have you seen a physio? An experienced physio will help you out with this, if you want extra help with your neck. Make sure you find one that is experienced and has the education behind them. Not one of those nutjob acupuncture physios. Obviously only if your doc suggests it.

Ring your school ASAP, they'll send you over forms which you take to the doc, get doc to fill out (what special provisions you need, why, diagnoses etc.) There's all these things you can get, extra time, breaks, pillow, icepack etc.

I hate MRIs, was in one for 1.5 hours one time, have fun, good luck.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
make sure to rest your hands after paper 1 and paper 2. This means you should try to do your practice for paper 2 before paper 1.

Flop21

HSC
I have seen an acupuncturist for my back problems and he has definitely solved them. I guess not all of them are nut jobs.
Acupuncture is not real science. Thus, I don't really trust those that act like it does anything. Interesting it worked for you... but I cannot understand how some needles hitting the right spot magically fixed your back. Placebo? Or back problems were not that bad in the first place?

I would suggest to go to someone who doesn't stick needles in you and hope it cures you, but actually works with real science and logically figures out what's wrong with you and applies appropriate methods to help fix whatever is causing the issue.

keepLooking

HSC
Acupuncture is not real science. Thus, I don't really trust those that act like it does anything. Interesting it worked for you... but I cannot understand how some needles hitting the right spot magically fixed your back. Placebo? Or back problems were not that bad in the first place?

I would suggest to go to someone who doesn't stick needles in you and hope it cures you, but actually works with real science and logically figures out what's wrong with you and applies appropriate methods to help fix whatever is causing the issue.
Not sure if it was a placebo effect. The severity of muscle imbalance leading to spinal pain and bad posture is open to interpretation. I guess the same could be said with Chinese medicine ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)