Writing according to the number of lines (1 Viewer)

iStudent

HSC
A LOT of people have been telling me to do this. But as far as I know, it's just not possible to write (for example) a 2 mark answer in just 2 lines. Take question 28a (2012 HSC physics paper). Their sample answer is over 4 lines for what is supposedly a 2 mark exemplary answer. And this is TYPED! (i.e I would've been writing 6 lines on paper)
How on earth do markers expect us to write concisely if they can't even show us how to do this?

For my trials, I've been writing way over the writing space (literally for every question) and this seems to serve me well (I got 96/100) - although I understand that HSC markers work differently. Doesnt this show whoever thought of writing to the number of lines is clearly wrong? At the moment, I see no real advantage of writing that little besides making your markers happy (I admit though, my teacher got frustrated at having to read that much :p - but they had to give me the marks nevertheless.)

Can someone clear this up for me please? (and this also goes for chemistry as well...)

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
i think they don't care too much.

if you go on for a lot of lines appropiately and relevantly, you can still get the marks.

e.g. person who state ranked phys last year, i've seen his actual hsc paper, wrote 2 pages for some 10 line qs etc.

you get my drift...

iStudent

HSC
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/physics-pbd.html

5th dotpoint in B6. You may lose marks because of this.
You may also lose marks for not writing enough to satisfy the making criteria... some questions it's impossible not to write over the lines unless you're prepared to lose marks. But I understand what you mean.
Like srsly, I can only fit 6 or so words in a line... unless I write really small but I still wouldn't be fitting 2 full sentences for 2 marks within the allocated writing space.

photastic

HSC
"communicates succinctly, logically and sequentially using a variety of scientific formats"

You should write sufficient amount that goes straight to the point and cohesively flows. Obviously you shouldn't write a little bit but also not writing too much to an extent your response is turning into a fairytale. However, you shouldn't be afraid if you cannot fit your response within the lines since we would all have that tendency to write big since they give use massive line spaces.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
HSC Physics exams are all being scanned and being marked 'on-screen' this year, so if you write OUTSIDE of the allocated space (around borders etc..), you run the risk of this not being scanned and hence unable to be marked.

2 lines per mark is what will be given to you. If you know your stuff inside out and don't write like a 4 year old, then it is ample space to address the question and obtain full marks.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
HSC Physics exams are all being scanned and being marked 'on-screen' this year, so if you write OUTSIDE of the allocated space (around borders etc..), you run the risk of this not being scanned and hence unable to be marked.

2 lines per mark is what will be given to you. If you know your stuff inside out and don't write like a 4 year old, then it is ample space to address the question and obtain full marks.
Looking at the papers I had (I gave them to you too), I got 7/7 for that superconductor/semiconductor question writing on every line and not going over after that.

You should actually try to stay on the lines as the Band 6 students stay clear and concise in their answers. When you go over the lines by more than 4-5 lines if you have moderate size writing, then usually you have added unnecessary info, are wasting time, and are indicating that you don't know exactly what the question asked of you.

iStudent

HSC
Have they actually deducted marks for going over the lines though? I know it's important being concise and everything but sometimes you know so much and you want to write it all out (and it's all relevant, answering the question etc). :/
I do remember fizzy mentioning that odd question where they have deducted marks for writing too much though (I think it was in one of the options). But besides that I don't remember seeing it any where else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)