Writing Essays (1 Viewer)

Audranda

HSC
I have a problem with writing essays, as I tend to ramble and create unnecessary convoluted paragraphs.

Do you have any tips on creating a stellar essay?
Should I consider visiting an English tutor for help?

Thanks.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There are several features of a stellar essay
1)you must be succinct and concise in answering the question-make sure that every single point is supported by strong textual evidence, and that any point that is not supported by any textual evidence is eliminated from your paragraph. Don't write each paragraph to make it a certain length-write the minimum length that is necessary to fully answer the requirements of the question

2)You have to have topic sentences that directly answer your essay question and relate to your thesis, and likewise, for each paragraph, you should have a concluding sentence that do about the same thing-make sure the quotes and techniques you select are the best for that question-never try to adapt a generic essay into a very specific essay question-because you are unlikely to succeed

3)practice, practice, practice, and with each practice, get detailed feedback on how you can improve

As you can see, the central feature to writing any stellar essay is that it must answer the given essay question in a holistic and coherent manner-if you want a better idea on how you can improve-you are welcome to send an essay to me and I can mark it to give you some detailed comments on how to improve your structure... getting a tutor is only helpful if you are willing to put in the hard work yourself, because in English, no amount of rote learning can replace writing practice essays and creative-and that comes from yourself, a lot of people think getting a tutor means they do less work, which is actually often the opposite case... either way-be prepared to work hard and you will reap the rewards:)best wishes:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)