Writing in assessments (1 Viewer)

zahmad

HSC
Hi all. Happy New Year!
I have a problem with writing fast in assessment tasks, assignments etc. My handwriting becomes very messy and hard to read. Also, due to my porblem, I believe I cannot write fast enough to meet my time limit and complete what i intended to write on the page. I donot have a handwriting problem as some people do in general, more of a problem writing fast. I was wondering if some of you may give me suggestions to help me out....is there any specifc type of pens to use......etc?

P.S. I prefer thinner shaped pens than fat ones that I am unable to hold comfortably.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
dw man, we had a thread similar to this in the prelim section.
HSC markers replied saying they are able to read anything, and they urge us to concentrate on what we are writing rather then how.
although it is a problem worth fixing, don't let it consume you.

jazzmuzik

HSC
i know this sounds obsessive but i found it works... if you tape (with electrical tape) a stone or rubber or weighty object onto your pen when your writing practice essays. if you do practice essays up to speed you will find your writing will get faster and more legible once you take it off later. if you do a few you will also get a good understanding of how many pages you can write in the time limit, it wont waiver much

hunni.xx

HSC
Fast n smooth pens help so much!! Bic Atlantis pens ftw. Also, start practising 40 min essays...... You'll get way faster and neater before you know it :D

zahmad

HSC
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I will try out the stone method, but what are the best pens to use?....some say gel pens are better as the ink comes out faster without much pressure being required.....

....all help appreciated ;)

Muz4PM

HSC
Not a fan of gel pens, they seem to smudge easily. I use medium tipped Pilot's, they go well and are more comfotable than others.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
jazzmuzik said:
i know this sounds obsessive but i found it works... if you tape (with electrical tape) a stone or rubber or weighty object onto your pen when your writing practice essays.
Tape/rubber band a normal AA battery to the top of your pen. The shape makes it easier to attach and it's much heavier than anything else of that size.

Tons of girls did it at my school. Although they did wrap the battery up in coloured paper to make it "pretty", which is a little OTT. ;)

zahmad

HSC
Thanks for the tips....anyone else with pen suggestions? :D

chomp

HSC
zahmad said:
Thanks for the tips....anyone else with pen suggestions? :D
The eraser and taping it idea works great.
ooh and for eng try and memorise your story and like adapt it because you write soo much quicker then.

sonic1988

The Rookie
HSC
try to use pilot pen (BP-145)
it is sold at news angency and office work

zahmad

HSC
Some say wtiting in cursive enables you to write faster.....true?

bassistx

HSC
chomp said:
The eraser and taping it idea works great.
ooh and for eng try and memorise your story and like adapt it because you write soo much quicker then.
If you meant memorize your essay, then that's a big mistake. That's one way to fail the HSC lol. Almost always, people don't answer the question even if they have all the correct content.
I think you should write out an essay and then think of 10 questions. Change each paragraph to suit each question. If you don't practice that, then you're screwed. Plus you have to remember to learn everything about all of the characters. Most people only remember the main characters which screws them over in the end.

HSC
Haha wow I need to try this weight idea. I can only write about 2-3 A4 pages in an hour. I blame it on being left-handed. ;D

bassistx

HSC
veloc1ty said:
Haha wow I need to try this weight idea. I can only write about 2-3 A4 pages in an hour. I blame it on being left-handed. ;D
I'm not a lefty and I'd be very lucky to write 3 pages in an hour, let alone 40min :( I can write 2 max if I don't go back and correct anything. We're so screwed lol.

zahmad

HSC
Thanks for your replies, it helped but no one answered my question about if writing in cursive helps improve speed etc?

bassistx

HSC

studymon

Happy Member
HSC
Memorising your essay is the worst possible thing you can do.

WHY? because when your hsc english question comes up completely different to what you memorised you will end up: panicking, unable to come up with an answer thus producing an essay that is poorly structured and written.

If you dont memorise your essay, however, and instead learn all of your ideas/issues/themes then you are able to attempt the question with much more openness, thus be able to play around with your ideas in order to fit the question and produce a thorough and sophisticated argument.

However, keep in mind that you do produce a draft essay under exam conditions well before the exam. WHY? because this helps you to: practise writing under pressure, practise writing within a time limit, see how much you can play manipulate ideas, revise your essay techniques.

hope this helps,
studymon

Last edited:

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
hunni.xx said:
Fast n smooth pens help so much!! Bic Atlantis pens ftw. Also, start practising 40 min essays...... You'll get way faster and neater before you know it :D

FTW i use those pens too, i spent 30 minutes in office works trying to find them, couldnt find them so i got pissed, mum went to check for a filing cabnet, and they were there. i was like BOO YEA, but there diffrent now :uhhuh: they have the button, not the lid now..

but yes i recommend these, they dont run out easy, and they write really easy and you dont need to put alot of pressure on them to get a good result!!

bassistx

HSC
-mz-u-wsh- said:
FTW i use those pens too, i spent 30 minutes in office works trying to find them, couldnt find them so i got pissed, mum went to check for a filing cabnet, and they were there. i was like BOO YEA, but there diffrent now :uhhuh: they have the button, not the lid now..

but yes i recommend these, they dont run out easy, and they write really easy and you dont need to put alot of pressure on them to get a good result!!
I hate those pens. They make my hands sweaty, slip out, and run out fast.
Papermate has good pens. I can't remember the name, but they're smooth on the outside and they're capped. They glide very nicely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)