Writing Modern History Essays (1 Viewer)

binary star

HSC
Re: What makes a 10/10 History essay?

Use quotes from historians. As for the structure, well there really isnt a specific style, just write all you know, and do it eloquently.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

1. Introduce your response by making a statement that sums up your approach to the question and then give a brief outline of the argument that you are going to follow.

2. For each point mentioned in the opening paragraph write a detailed paragraph linking back to the question and the paragraphs that have gone before. Support your argument with evidence and the occasional historian's idea (no need to quote historians if you actually know what their basic premise is). Also show that you know that their are opposing views.

3. Write a clear conclusion that sums up your argument, tying the paragraphs back to the question.

Many many kids start with the question but lose the thread and forget all about the question so by referring back to it it helps keep you on track.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Fluency and structure, along with links to your essay question. Remember, can the marker SEE your point?

S - Statement
E - Explain it
E- Example

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Basically as what everyone has said before, keep it in a simple essay structure.

That is:

Introduction, Body and Conclusion.

You may or may not need a concluding sentence like in english essays- i generally don't include them because it link throughout my paragraphs.

E

Empyrean444

Think the end of each paragraph back to your main thesis - this is very important. Each paragraph should be an integral component of the argument.

Try to avoid short paragraphs - too short=not enough analysis.

jennieTalia

HSC

If you think you're great with writing history essays, then please please HELP me!! Yes, I am in desperate need of your HELP, as i think i am FAILING in Modern History.

So pls pls tell me starting from basic, what makes a 10/10 History essay? E.g. structure.

Any help will do! =DD

THANKS. THANKS. xD
It depends on the question obviously.
If you know your key words, then you know how to answer something.
E.g. what does EXPLAIN mean? ASSESS? EVALUATE? And so forth. Knowing these will show you how to approach an essay.

Apart from the APE idea (Argument, Point, Evidence) and the Introduction, Body and Conclusion already suggested it is a good idea to have a look at the TYPE of evidence you are using. Look for a range of sources. Quotes, and statistics etc.

If you are still a beginner it can be better to try and BALANCE an essay, particularly one that asks for your own judgement. Try a point for and against, debate with yourself.

After each paragraph go back and make sure it answers the question, even answer the question itself in the last sentence of every one or two paragraphs to ensure you're on the right track.

USE any sources they give you as well as your own.

Avoid: Telling a story, or writing a shopping list.
For example:
Then the Titanic went into the water, cracking at the middle and sinking down until it hit the bottom in two parts- storytelling
The Titanic had cracked filaments, flooded subdecks, implosion on impact, geographically separated halves and collapsed beams. -Shopping list.
The Titanic had cracked filaments, which suggest that the weight of the upper deck caused the ship to break into two pieces, this is also inferred by the geographical positioning of the two parts of the ship some metres away from each other.- CORRECT.

Vocab- use words other than just suggest. Use emphasizes, was the catalyst for, indicates, highlights, outlines, underlines etc.

Brainstorm out all the different parts you want to mention before hand.
:)
xoxo

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

sunshine and rainbows

EDIT: im sorry, im just tired, but my point could be helpful for essays on Germans?

Last edited:

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC

blowing your history teacher.

raiyan

HSC

If mr devlin devlin says so.

darktwinz

HSC

If you think you're great with writing history essays, then please please HELP me!! Yes, I am in desperate need of your HELP, as i think i am FAILING in Modern History.

So pls pls tell me starting from basic, what makes a 10/10 History essay? E.g. structure.

Any help will do! =DD

THANKS. THANKS. xD

I know that everyone is saying have structure. But the best way to get marks is actually answering the question - it automatically gives you structure. For example if the question asks What caused the fall of the Weimar Republic? Brainstorm the answer like - the resentment of the public for signing the Versailles Treaty - the disillusionment of the middle class with the hyper - inflation which was the primary supporter.

Using a paragraph to explain each point gives you structure. :cool:

Remember to reuse the words in the question!!! Using it often ensures that you're actually focusing on answering the question.
Or else like me, you'll find that you're wandering.

For example -
Another reason for the fall of the Republic blah blah...

Goood luck!!!!

studentcheese

HSC

Okay, I'm in Year 11 but I am quite good at literacy based subjects.

In History, always ensure that you discuss both sides of the argument, evaluate the reliability of your sources (who wrote it? where was it found? etc), and evaluate the usefulness of your sources.

Your argument should be sustained throughout the essay and be presented in a logical, coherent way.

* Use third person all the time. Formal language.
* You should (not always) have an opinion by the end of the essay of who did this and who did that.
* Short paragraphs. Short sentences
It's history - past tense.
* NO description. Should be kept TO THE POINT (concise!)
* Minimum: 2/3 perspectives of the past should be presented
Wide range of sources
* remember: The evidence shows, not proves.
* 40 minute essay: 1500 words.
* Adopt a professional tone throughout
* strong arguments

Reliability of sources:
This is a must. Without evaluating the reliability of your sources,you WILL NOT be able to present evidence to support your evidence. You should answer:

* Are the sources biased?
* Are they deliberately distorted?
* Do they contain fact or opinion?
* Who made it? When? For what purpose? How has it been interpreted by others? What does it reveal about the event/issue?

Justify why it is unreliable if it is.

Structure: You should link your paragraphs and be able to synthesise the different viewpoints made in the essay.

Opening paragraph: Introduce thesis, and what you are going to discuss. If the essay is about the different theories of your certain topic, introduce these theories.

Body:

* Have short paragraphs, each presenting a different idea. If it is evidence presented against your thesis, you should state that. e.g. The evidence against the view that......is supported by...
* After you present evidence, talk about the reliability. What does it show? Where was it from?
* Everything must answer the essay question
* DO NOT JUST PILE UP FACTS. You must analyse them, discuss reliability and split them up into different paragraphs.
* HAVE HEAPS OF EVIDENCE, SOURCES, ETC WITH YOU. Don't just use sources the school gives you. Research on your own.
* BE CRITICAL

Basic Structure:
S - statement
A - Evidence
E - Analysis
R - Reliability of Sources
O - other side of argument (if any)
L - link to next idea.

Conclusion:

* Summarise the above presented
* Justify why you think bla,bla,bla.
* Should not present new information
* Sometimes, not always but a comment on the significance of the certain event/ issue

GOOD LUCK :)

Last edited:

Andy09

Soccer is life
HSC

sunshine and rainbows

EDIT: im sorry, im just tired, but my point could be helpful for essays on Germans?
That is actually really helpful for essays on germany, particularly if the marker has a sense of humour, unlike the germans of the time.

Essentially for a good essay you need to answer the question while stating your viewpoint on the matter,

"The battle of the Somme was not significant in ending the stalemate and breaking through the German lines on the Western Front."

As suggested before it is also helpful to link back each paragraph to the queestion. Also try to provide quotes from historians but not too many from just one as it makes it look like you have just learned quotes from one historian.

Rjat

HSC
N/A

Some good advice above.

Use the historians as well. You need to be aware of and demonstrate knowledge of the perspectives of some different historians on the topic at hand. Believe me, it makes all the difference in HSC marking. You will not get above the Band 5 range without being able to assess (i.e. make a judgement regarding) the interpretations of different historians.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Some good advice above.

Use the historians as well. You need to be aware of and demonstrate knowledge of the perspectives of some different historians on the topic at hand. Believe me, it makes all the difference in HSC marking. You will not get above the Band 5 range without being able to assess (i.e. make a judgement regarding) the interpretations of different historians.
Sorry but this is wrong.

I have marked the Modern History paper and assessment of interpretations of historians is not in the criteria for marking at all.

I have often given full marks to students who have not assessed any historians (and even ones who have never used a specific historian). They have shown an understanding that there are different interpretations and have used that knowledge to support their arguments. A lot is made of historiography but it can actually hinder a response e.g. last year I was marking the personalities question and there were a number of Part B responses that got so hung up on historiography that they didn't answer the question whereas a number of other students never mentioned any historians but did an excellent response to the question asked and got full marks in the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)