• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Writing Notes vs Dot Point (1 Viewer)

barcyy

HSC
idk if my title is even right but how should i write my notes?

I want to do them as we go. Should i dedicated an hour a day to answering dot points from the syllabus?

I want to use OneNote but how can i keep them in sync with my school laptop and home desktop?

Are there any better ways to study???

Bingobango

HSC
idk if my title is even right but how should i write my notes?

I want to do them as we go. Should i dedicated an hour a day to answering dot points from the syllabus?

I want to use OneNote but how can i keep them in sync with my school laptop and home desktop?

Structuring study notes via dot points from the syllabus is a really effective note making method imo. Really though, the more important thing about notes is reviewing them and condensing them -- i.e, actually utilising them as a learning tool rather than as a tool to make you feel better because "i've written so many pages of notes... i definitely know the content".

I've never used OneNote and barely know wtf it is - but you could use GoogleDocs if you want cross-computer editing ability.

Better ways to study? Definitely. Imo (as a working uni student) the best way to study has the lowest time investment and the highest learning return. Then, when you sink a bunch of hours, your return is nice and juicy. E.g, everyone always hears "omg use mnemonics!!" but how many people ever google "what the fuck is a mnemonic" or start to use them? Not many. Because people are more interested in the comfortable, easy, known ways to study like writing notes. Making acronyms and ridiculous stories for things are incredibly time efficient even though they feel incredibly awkward. Even reading wikipedia + 2 other random sources on any given concept is probably better than copying stuff from your textbook into your own document for fun. YouTube videos are great. I've even found drawing whilst thinking about a concept more useful that writing notes about it. lol. *maybe slightly hyperbolic*.

Moral of the story is: don't restrict yourself to standard study habits that you're comfortable with.

the_matrix

HSC
If you're using a school laptop, do not use OneNote. It lags sooooo much and once it's corrupted, there's no way of retrieving it. Just have a separate word doc for each subject.

I suggest having the dot point in bold and then transferring the relevant school notes into bullet point form to answer the syllabus dot point + have some examples & practice questions - better than writing paragraph after paragraphs of notes

a study skills officer came to our school and suggested us to verbally record our study notes and then listen to it over and over again lol

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Instead of using OneNote to organise your notes, I recommend this:
1. Buy a nice USB, that you will not lose
2. Create folders for each subject
3. Create folders in those folders for sub-topics
4. Use Word and type your notes
5. Save accordingly to the correct folder and sub-folder

I recommend this because you will have the USB with you everywhere AND, every time you finish a batch of notes, you can update the copies you have on your school laptop, school computer and home computer.

Secondly, I use Dot Point, personally just to practise short answers, get them marked and re-fine my answers. It also helps me fill in gaps on what I'm not good at, or have learnt well enough.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)