Writing outside lines. (1 Viewer)

cj_bridle

HSC
There was a few misguided opinions going around my school (by teachers as well as students) that markers would not take into consideration any writing a student made outside the lines (this was mostly from the science dept at my school).

According to the advice line this is bs, the lines are a guide but everything written is read and marked regardless of whether it is in the lines or not.

(note: i didnt personally ring up the line but my friend told me the details of when she rang up and i thought i could post it here for more advice.)

Jessisbored

HSC
Do u know what...my bio teacher or all science teachers in general have always said write in the lines but all my other teachers have also said thats bs. Is it just science then? Maybe when i ring ill ask. Have you rung yet? What subject is it atm?

cj_bridle

HSC
i didnt personally ring, but my friend did and the helpline said that its bs for all subjects.. ie. you're allowed to write outside them because they are only a guide

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
I have teachers that say they want you to stick to the lines. I don't reckon they will disregard it if you go a bit over, though they are a guide of what they want, so you should try and stick to them. Otherwise you are probably just wasting time writing additional information that isn't necessary when you could move on.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
In chemistry and physics, they have 5 mark questions wiht only 10 lines. BUT if theres a HUGE gap under the page, then you should try and fill it up.

Look at the standards package for the band 5/6 answers. NONE of them will stay in the lines for most questions.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
my teachers normally say that yes, if you write outside lines it will be read, ( as long as it isnt crossed out or anything) but that you shouldnt have to write outside of lines, coz they are looking for people who can communicated the answer effectively and precisely - this is for science subjects. so dont stress if you go over, but remember its not english! you dont need to write heaps for marks, you just need to get the main points down!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
No, getting the main points down is not enough. You need to elaborate which means craeting a "sustained, logical argument". Simply shoving down "main points" lands you in the mediocre catagory.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
^^ for science it is enough. but yes for something like english/ancient history/whatever you write your essay and expand/add volume/etc

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
But for the essay question in english and the histories, why you have to write a sustained logical answer, there are no lines, you just have to pad don't you?
And if there are lines for you in an essay question, they would definately read anything extra you do on extra paper.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
^ yes. in the trial school cert for english, i crossed out the end of page notice and kept on writing ... and it was all good

helper

HSC
N/A
In HSC marking all the answer is read and used.
The space provided is an indication of how much room an answer should take. If you are writing a lot more than the space you are including extra information that is not needed and are more likely to contradict yourself and lose marks.

If you run out of space you can ask for more paper and they will provide it to answer.

Last year in the sciences you were able to refer to other questions and this was taken into account. Wether this will be allowed this year no-one know so is not a good practice.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
-blueblue- said:
my teachers normally say that yes, if you write outside lines it will be read, ( as long as it isnt crossed out or anything)
Even if you cross your work out, it will still be read.

They will try to award marks wherever possible.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Lazarus said:

just make sure the cross is a 'neat' one though, like one huge thin line

helper

HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:

Last year markers were clearly told in science to ignore answers that were crossed out.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:

Does that mean if you aren't sure of one of two ways and they give different answers, cross both out lightly so they mark the correct way :p?

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
you would have to think that they would take some things into consideration such as handwriting..... in modern if you have bige writiting there is no way that you can fit ur core answers into the designated area

erica

HSC
yeah but you gotta be careful cos in the history and english essays anything you write on the blank pages technically wont be marked unless you draw a massive arrow to it or something my ancient teacher says and shes one of the senior markers
but yeah...for the sciency subjects my teachers always say write as much as you possibly can, it doesnt matter how much you go out of the lnes as long as its readable

mishka

HSC
N/A
here's a tip i've been told - for ANY "writing" subject, i.e. English, Histories, SAC, CAFS, Geography, Business, Legal etc. you can write your PLANNED response on the LINED side of the page... then after the plan, rule off a line and begin your "expanded" essay.
however, the distinction between the plan and the essay must be obvious. this way, your plan can technically be marked as a response as it is on the lined side of the page. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)