Writing outside lines. (1 Viewer)

Gemstone

I was told we were supposed to write essay plans and stuff on the blank paper and just our essays on the lined paper. I have a scribe for the exams anyway so I think I get a seperate booklet to do my plans in and stuff (at least that's what I did in trials).

Gems

frazzle

HSC
what's the procedure for getting a scribe?

during the trials my hand started hurtign really badly just before the last exam so i had to defer that, i'm really scared it'll happen again during the HSC, and that i won't be able to defer, and on top of that i'm already a very slow writer anyway.

Gemstone, did you have ascribe for your trials?

Gemstone

Frazzle I don't think you'd be able to get a scribe this late. It's all application forms and stuff. They had to be in at the end of term 1. You can get them later than that if it's something recent but with only a week to the HSC I think it's a bit late. You can ask at your school though. They might be able to work something out.

Gemma

Farkette

HSC
lines dont matter

from what i've heard from my teachers (several who are hsc markers in subs like eng, german) is that the process regarding lines and other work etc is that pretty much anything you write will be marked, unless its crossed out into oblivion.
technically, today before eng2 we got told that we can write a plan or notes on the opposite, unlined page, but advised strictly not to write parts of our response there. if u dont want them to mark ur notes, cross em out.

tho our eng teacher rattled out a story about some chick who wrote an essay plan down and not long into her response, proceeded to vomit up all her breakfast goodness all over her the proper response, but cos she had a plan, they looked at it and were able to estimate her mark and etc etc all cos she had a plan..

in relation to the outside the lines in sub's like german or whatever that give you a set amount of lines to answer each response, generally these lines represent how much space is needed to make a clear and concise answer hitting all bases. however most ppl tend to waffle or whatever and not get enough meatiness to their answer, so thats why if u fill up all the lines, but dont feel like youve said enough, GO ON. it will be marked. my german teacher (senior hsc marker) says that they get these brill responses that get band 6's but theyve got asterisks and arrows and shiat going all up and down the sides and in between the pages with extra stuff.

the only worry with writing everything u can think of is that u may tend to write shiat that will contradict yourself earlier on.
so if u write novels (like myself here) in an exam, just make sure it all makes sense. also u may inadvertantly be answering part of another question in ur answer, and they WILL award you marks for it if u dont necessarily put that info in ur other answer for the other more appropriate q.

hope that helps

Last edited:

Narelle

HSC
???

For science subjects:

there's a multiple choice sheet...

an answer booklet with the short answers and extended responses (usually max 8 marks)....

and then u get a booklet for the option (u can ask for more booklets if u need them)

BUT.... (not the option booklet) WHAT IF u run out of room for one of the questions in the short responses or like u totally stuff up the space for one question....????

all the spaces for those questions are in one booklet... what, do u ask for a whole new booklet?

(i know u can write in the blank pages and draw an arrow, but like what if u seriously stuffed up the answer space just for that question)

i don't know... do u just tell ask the supervisor and hope they know

CHEM FRIDAY!

ehh, this probably wont happen, just wondering

cko

HSC
its funi coz my chemistry teacher is always saying how u shud try to write more than the allocated space. she's like "now look at this response, u can tell write away that this is going to be a tasty pieve od information", referring to a response to a question that had like only haf a page of lines and like alll this writing that continued past these.

my bio teacher however, has always complained bout ppl who write mo than he allocated space. she's like "look at the amount of space they give you, that shud b an indication of how much writing u shud do, if u do anymor eor less u may b in trouble of not having enud info or crapn on bout crap irelevent to the question".

the morale of my story being: it doesn't matter how much u write, just write as much as u personally need to ansewr the qustion!

trekkie

HSC
thats crap, the amount of line should be an indication of the minimum amount that you should be able to write, if you have to write any more to answer the question then so be it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)